Gransnet forums

Gardening

What is the best value/ bargain plant you have bought.

(35 Posts)
J52 Mon 01-Jun-15 08:03:18

Carrying on from a previous thread.I wondered what is the best value or bargain plant you have ever bought.
X

loopylou Wed 03-Jun-15 20:46:45

I'm speechless!
Those cakes shysal..... Amazing grin

And very envious of your beautiful garden, and having badgers envy

loopylou Thu 04-Jun-15 07:02:14

Sorry everyone, to return to OP:
I am a sucker for feeling sorry for neglected plants. I bought a pathetic, unlabelled clematis plant that literally was on its last legs, for 5p three or four years ago.
It's a magnificent 8' high now, and I've just been out to count the number of buds/flowers on it = 45!

I've no idea of its name but the double, frilly flowers start lime green and then turn white.

Definitely a bargain. I also by pathetic roses and nurse them back to life - they're remarkably tough plants!

KatyK Sun 07-Jun-15 15:30:52

We bought a carpet rose about 15 years ago. DH decided, after reading the instructions etc, that if he put it in the ground it would take over and be unmanageable. We weren't very experienced with plants at the time, not realising that a 'carpet' rose meant that it would spread like a carpet.
He decided to put it in a large pot and keep it on a little wall in our back garden. It has been magnificent. It is huge and gives a fabulous show of bright pink blooms twice a year. Everyone admires it and we show it off with pride, of course not mentioning that it's magnificence is purely accidental smile

janerowena Sun 07-Jun-15 20:08:06

I did that on a coal bunker! 'Pink flower carpet', they flower and flower. Now I buy some more whenever I move. I have a white one in a huge pedestal urn too.

KatyK Tue 09-Jun-15 14:41:02

Aren't they beautiful jane? Ours has taken root through the pot and into the wall so it is there for life. My sister (who is very green fingered and a much more experienced gardener than us) bought one at the same time but hers died ages ago, so we are even more smug about ours now! smile

whitewave Tue 09-Jun-15 15:57:50

Not sure how much it cost as have had it for donkeys years but Yellow Showers climbing rose flowers from June to often December and has done so so for at least 15 years so far - excellent value. Also another climbing rose whose name is now lost is one of the most beautiful - it only flowers the once but is an old fashioned pink with the most glorious scent and is breathtaking when out in all its glory.

loopylou Tue 09-Jun-15 16:04:58

I've got Golden Showers growing up the front of the house, with a dark plum coloured clematis growing through it. It's a beautiful rose, and as you say whitewave it flowers its socks off, the first one out and it was still flowering at Christmas last year. Mine was a real cheapy from Woolworth years ago.

J52 Tue 09-Jun-15 17:04:43

Loopylou, snap, we also have golden showers climbing up the front of the house. Planted with blue Ceanothus and pyracantha with white flowers at the moment.
x

loopylou Tue 09-Jun-15 18:22:22

I've planted clematis through all my climbing roses now, usually buying dejected plants and nursing them for a few months before planting them.
Your colour combination sounds wonderful J52 x