Gransnet forums

Gardening

Cosmos failure.

(29 Posts)
Nandalot Sat 24-Aug-19 15:31:08

Our lovingly tended Cosmos seedlings have now grown into 4 - 5 foot giants but there are no flowers on any of them. It was a new packet of seeds. Anyone else had this problem? What did we do wrong? Still the foliage is very pretty.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 24-Aug-19 15:39:25

I've never got round to growing Cosmos (though I like them) but this was said to me from an avid gardener - there's been 'a bad lot' of seeds this year and many haven't flowered.

A garden centre near to where I used to live planted some near their entrance. They failed to flower so they've thrown them out. Perhaps they'll be better next year.

tessagee Sat 24-Aug-19 20:27:20

Half of mine are like yours Nandalot ie tall and no flowers, the other half are shortish and blooming beautifully - all from the same packet of seeds. I think perhaps I didn't pinch out the tops properly when they were seedlings to allow them to be more bushy.

J52 Sat 24-Aug-19 20:54:00

I’ve often found that the larger variety flower later in the season and go on until the first frost. Maybe there’s hope yet.

Vonners Sat 24-Aug-19 22:58:56

Mine have been gorgeous, grown from seed I saved.
As you used new seed, I'd be inclined to write/email the supplier and explain - include a pic if poss. Hopefully they will reimburse you or send you some replacement seeds for next year.

Wilma65 Sun 25-Aug-19 08:14:36

Mine have had a couple of flowers but are now growin bigger. I’m leaving them to see if they get more flowers. I would wait and see

Sue2406 Sun 25-Aug-19 08:21:15

Same here, lovely foliage, no flowers

polnan Sun 25-Aug-19 08:30:07

I sow seeds, I low sowing seeds, they germinate, well some do, but they NEVER thrive into plants... you are lucky!

seriously though, I have no idea!

Enceladus Sun 25-Aug-19 08:35:20

I think they don’t like being in soil that’s too rich, or being fed at all.

littleflo Sun 25-Aug-19 08:50:35

I think it is to do with the weather. Lots of things have failed to flower in my garden this year. Despite looking as though they are healthy plants. Even Nasturtium, which usually grow like weeds, had to be thrown away.

Carlos66 Sun 25-Aug-19 10:07:49

I have grown them from seed, one has not flowered, but is five foot, the rest are like giant snakes running wild lol

Stansgran Sun 25-Aug-19 10:12:36

We normally can't move for nasturtiums by the swing. DH hates them. This year only one has grown and usually I leave them to seed themselves. I've been thinking he has pulled them up before they flower but it's been too wet here to garden. I haven't grown cosmos this year so can't comment.

Davida1968 Sun 25-Aug-19 10:12:38

littleflo, I'm so glad to hear your comment about Nasturtiums because mine are awful this year and (sadly) today they will be removed! Nandalot, I do think this has been a difficult year for some plants. J52 may have the right answer for you - worth waiting to see?

littleflo Sun 25-Aug-19 10:21:33

I think that, just at the time the plants would usually setting bud, the weather turned very cold. The little buds that had formed would be killed off. Also the plant DNA would send it into preservation mode, conserving the energy it would usually use to release Nectar. There are less pollinators around in Cold weather too, so this could have a knock on effect for next year.

Callistemon Sun 25-Aug-19 10:51:40

Nandalot our cosmos, from plug plants, didn't grow very tall but have flowered well. I deadheaded regularly but they have suddenly turned into brown sticks.
Normally they last much longer than this.

J52 Sun 25-Aug-19 10:58:44

I’ve had the same nasturtium problem, not only did they not thrive, but the few flowers were orange. The seed packet clearly said Crimson Emperor and I expected deep red.

icanhandthemback Sun 25-Aug-19 11:45:23

polnan, snap! I have equal success with plug plants from online companies too. I've learned to wait until good sized plants are available from the local nurseries but even then, it is hit and miss.

tigger Sun 25-Aug-19 11:50:58

Bad year for Cosmos I'm afraid, mine have really struggled, very disappointed.

jaylucy Sun 25-Aug-19 12:56:00

Aren't they biennials or something so may not flower the first year, but will the second?

crystaltipps Sun 25-Aug-19 12:58:44

I think they are just annuals. I grew a lot from seed, the tall ones are doing well, but I’ve only got one dwarf one , not sure what happened to the rest of the seeds.

ginamat Sun 25-Aug-19 18:22:47

I have the same trouble with my Cosmos. I grew them from a new packet of seed and pinched the tops out because I wanted them as bedding plants. However, they have grown like Triffids and have completely hidden my roses and taken over my garden. It must be something to do with the weather!!

gram6169 Sun 25-Aug-19 18:49:55

My cosmos never flowered either ! I was so fed up as they had loads of green stuff but no flowers at all.
I bought the seeds from Lidl’s and I emailed them and complained. They very kindly sent me a £5 voucher, which was generous as the seeds didn’t cost that much!

Kim19 Sun 25-Aug-19 18:50:45

I've had reasonable good fortune with my cosmos but not as many flower heads as I had imagined. However, the attractive foliage compensates for this to a degree. Anybody help me with beautiful multi coloured hollyhocks which have decided to all be a cream colour this year? Not at all awful but not half as stunning as usual. Did think it might be a lack of some nutrient in the soil but another batch further along the bed have stayed in colour. Weird!

Bunty Mon 26-Aug-19 10:38:46

So relieved to hear am not the only one whose cosmos have grown into triffids with no flowers. I've grown from seed for years and had big success in the past with masses and masses of flowers which just kept on coming. This year, just one has flowered (two blooms only!). Definitely not over-feeding as they're in different parts of the garden and in pots. Also had normal and dwarf ones. Very puzzling.
They remind me of my time in South Africa where they grow wild (and like weeds!). Have pulled most of them out as they were too tall in one particular bed and in the pots.
gram6169 mine also came from Lidl so will email them

winterwhite Mon 26-Aug-19 10:55:12

Sorry to divert from cosmos, but yes I've had the hollyhock problem, Bunty, mine going from a glorious dark carmine to pale pink. I put it down to seeds not always being true to the parent plant and what I thought was the same plant in fact being new ones. Bad luck re the beige though. Don't much care for it in hollyhocks.