Gransnet forums

Gardening

Daffodils

(52 Posts)
katie1 Thu 06-Feb-20 19:31:56

I planted a bag of daffodils last Autumn in a newly dug over and manured bed. I used a bulb planter so they were all planted at the same depth. To my dismay not one daffodil has come up ? I am not new to gardening but I can’t understand why the bulbs have not come up! Does anyone have experience of this please?

ExperiencedNotOld Thu 06-Feb-20 19:36:00

Last year I planted some late in December knowing they’d be better in the ground than not. Many came up ‘blind’ but I hope for better this year. It’s been suggested that the weather might be to blame - but then that’s always the excuse!

J52 Thu 06-Feb-20 19:41:20

A couple of suggestions, is the ground very wet, they may have rotted. Or squirrels might have dug them up to eat.

Coolgran65 Thu 06-Feb-20 19:42:06

My daffs are up about 4" . This is their second year in big half barrels. I have a mix of early blooms and later blooms.

Last year my friend thought her new bulbs had failed but eventually had a wonderful show.

cornergran Thu 06-Feb-20 19:51:35

Ours are just showing. It’s very wet here, suspect some have rotted. No squirrels to blame smile.

katie1 Thu 06-Feb-20 19:52:16

J52, the area doesn’t have poor drainage. I considered animals eating them, but there is no soil disturbance and I would think one or two would come up. It is a mystery ? I was really looking forward to a wonderful display. Hopefully they are late beginners as older daffodils have come up ?

Callistemon Thu 06-Feb-20 20:24:56

I wonder if all that lovely manure helped to retain the moisture too?

Perhaps they will come up next year but you could dig a corner with a trowel to see if they are still there and/or if some have rotted.
Those little black slugs like eating bulbs too.

All that hard work! How disappointing,

MiniMoon Thu 06-Feb-20 20:25:20

I brought loads of snowdrop bulbs from my Dad's garden when he went into a nursing home. The first year quite a lot came up and flowered, the next year there were fewer. Last year, two or three, and this year, none at all. DH thinks something has eaten the bulbs. sad

Callistemon Thu 06-Feb-20 20:26:38

Our one clump of snowdrops have been in for years and years and never really spread but this year they are better.
It's a strange year.

annodomini Thu 06-Feb-20 21:19:50

Mine have stretched from being one clump to being an almost complete border, despite my garden's having been flooded twice in three years.

gillybob Thu 06-Feb-20 21:22:56

My first thought was that maybe they had been planted upside down katie1 hmm

merlotgran Thu 06-Feb-20 21:34:59

You may not have planted them deeply enough. Have you investigated to see if the bulbs are still there?

If they are sprouting roots you could try gently lifting them and transferring them to pots, cover with glass or cling film and hope for the best wait and see.

It's still early for daffs.

Callistemon Thu 06-Feb-20 22:18:16

Some of mine look as if they are about to flower!

quizqueen Thu 06-Feb-20 22:30:09

My daffodils are mostly in full bloom. They came out at the end of January, even before the crocuses. That can't be right!

Chewbacca Thu 06-Feb-20 22:44:52

I planted dozens of daffodils last September, having only moved in here last June. The soil is a very heavy wet clay and I can see that less than 10 bulbs have actually poked through the soil so far. So I expect either they've rotted off or those 2 squirrels that pinch all the bird seed have had them. Tubs it is next year.

MerylStreep Thu 06-Feb-20 22:50:44

We have a lovely display of daffodils. Crocuses not so much.
My lilies are about 3/4 inches high and irises about 12 "
It's mad.

katie1 Fri 07-Feb-20 16:20:15

I am sure I planted them the correct way. I also used a bulb planter so they were deep enough.It is going to be a sunny day tomorrow so I am going to dig up a clump to see what is going on! Thank you for your suggestions everyone. ?

lemongrove Fri 07-Feb-20 17:34:00

It could be mice, or squirrels eating the bulbs.Even if planted upside down they turn themselves round.
Our daffodils are only up by a few inches, and others just starting to poke their noses through ( some are later than others.)Or, you could just have bought a duff batch.

Gagagran Fri 07-Feb-20 17:49:39

My clumps of tete a tete miniature daffodils are in bloom here on the south coast but their big cousins are still in the green. I planted snowdrops last year and there is no sign of them at all. Very odd.

Youcantchoosethem Sat 08-Feb-20 09:47:55

As others have said likely to have rotted or been eaten. Even if not the right depth or upside down they would still sprout. Unfortunately sometimes you get a “soft” batch where they have actually rotted inside - this could have even been before you planted them if they were at all “squidgy” when you were planting them instead of being firm. Such a shame for you. Ours have just started to come out. Don’t let it put you off for future years flowers

Rivernana Sat 08-Feb-20 09:49:09

Squirrels ate all my tulip bulbs. They may have demolished your daffodils. Or they may be a later blooming variety.

joesdadnick Sat 08-Feb-20 10:01:18

more than likely too deep, but given time maybe next year will bloom as such, sometimes putting bulbs in baskets will be too deep, I plant mine with a few inches from surface, never bother with baskets, just leave in ground as long as well drained shouldn't rot and saves your back.

Caro57 Sat 08-Feb-20 10:13:21

Do they need manure - I thought the energy was in the bulb.......?

shysal Sat 08-Feb-20 10:20:51

It is just possible that they are a late-flowering variety. If they are narcissi they could be late too. Good luck!

Craftycat Sat 08-Feb-20 10:21:01

Ours are late this year. Only just showing green. We are in South East. I think it has been an odd year for temperatures.
The ones in more sheltered front garden are doing fine.
Mind you if the wind & rain they are threatening for tomorrow does happen they may all be blown away!