Gransnet forums

Gardening

Gransnet Open Gardens

(117 Posts)
kittylester Sun 21-Jun-20 14:27:20

This weekend should have been our village open gardens - sadly cancelled.

Having been part of this previously we know that it is hard work over the two days but also enormous fun.

We have had the front garden redesigned recently but dh (particularly) has worked very hard to make the back garden look good!

The event also makes a lot of money for our local children's hospice which will, sadly, miss out this year.

I thought it might be nice to have a Gransnet Open Gardens event so here are some of our plants. Watch out, I could go mad!!

Nortsat Mon 22-Jun-20 16:37:48

Here’s part of our garden with our visiting vixen and her cubs.

jacq10 Mon 22-Jun-20 17:11:45

Love looking at other folks gardens! Nipped out to take some photos in the rain. I'm in what we in the north of Scotland call a "boorach" (muddle) - stuff all over the place. Back at end of February got a quote to replace all my back door patio and paths winding down the garden to make them safe and also for trees and three beds which are totally overgrown as I neglected them for two years while DH was poorey. The plants enjoyed it and wandered all over the place. He delivered the Indian sandstone and then lockdown took over. He has now started again and should be here in about two weeks. I am wondering if he should just do the hard landscaping just now and leave the rest till it dies down a bit. Do any of the keen gardeners agree with me or should I just let him go ahead?

LittleMissGrumpy Mon 22-Jun-20 17:17:54

Nortsat, how lovely!

shysal Mon 22-Jun-20 17:22:45

A few pics of mine. It will be more colourful when the Hydrangeas are out. The Tidal Wave Petunias are in a 5 tier trough stand. I find it difficult to water as I can't see the containers any more.

Love the foxes, Norsat. I have stopped feeding the wildlife after seeing rats. I miss the badgers, foxes and birds, but still have visiting Muntjac.

janeainsworth Mon 22-Jun-20 18:52:13

3 views of mine

crazyH Mon 22-Jun-20 19:43:57

My fuschias and hydrangeas (still to bloom fully) from front and back garden

Carillion01 Mon 22-Jun-20 19:47:31

Kitty, this is a lovely, lovely thread. Thanks so much xxx

Grammaretto Mon 22-Jun-20 19:57:08

Some wonderful gardens here. Well done.
I have left part of the grass un-mown and have a meadow with 4 orchids.

Lisagran Mon 22-Jun-20 20:53:00

View from kitchen window / little pond / a border

janeainsworth Mon 22-Jun-20 21:05:23

Lisa your garden looks lovely and what a fabulous view.
What’s the hill in the background? It looks very familiar territory. PM me if you don’t want to answer on the threadsmile

PageTurner Mon 22-Jun-20 21:37:25

Here is my garden, such as it is. I don't have nearly as many blooming plants as your lovely gardens have.
Hops is the plant covering the arch.

Gingster Mon 22-Jun-20 21:50:54

My seaside garden

PageTurner Tue 23-Jun-20 00:06:49

Ginster
That is an unusual plant. Is it a plant that grows only near the beach in sandy soil? It looks like it has blossoms. What color will the flowers be?

PageTurner Tue 23-Jun-20 00:08:18

Sorry I spelled your name wrong. ?

Gingster Tue 23-Jun-20 19:57:10

It is a Cardoon also known as. Artichoke Thistle. Very easy to grow, hardy and in my opinion absolutely beautiful. We can’t grow too many plants and shrubs due to the sea air here and also the rabbit population but these Cardoons flourish. They have a purple flower.

PageTurner Tue 23-Jun-20 22:20:32

Thanks for the info**Gingster**. A very interesting plant. I don't think I have the best climate for growing it. If it is a perennial it would freeze out in the winter.
Yougrowgirl.com has info about it and even a recipe for its use.
?

lemongrove Tue 23-Jun-20 22:23:52

Some of you have the most lovely views from your gardens.
seacliff what a spacious garden you have, is it hard work?

Namsnanny Wed 24-Jun-20 00:12:54

Such beautiful gardens, and all so different!

I've posted this elsewhere but they are still flowering......just!

Namsnanny Wed 24-Jun-20 00:16:33

Lovely flowers Lucca! Lucky you having a green fingered friend, who doesn't mind picking the flowers from her garden.

I sometimes struggle with picking as I love seeing them in their original location.

Ailsa43 Wed 24-Jun-20 00:39:24

merylStreep how pretty your pots are, such a wonderful splash of colour

seacliff Wed 24-Jun-20 09:53:51

lemongrove, yes honestly the garden IS getting too much for us now. OH loves cutting grass on his ride on mower, but is no good at weeding, and we have awful heavy clay so hard to keep nice, which gets me down. We are making it mainly grass and trees. It has been lovely during lockdown though. I would actually love a low maintenance courtyard garden.

Ellianne Wed 24-Jun-20 09:59:14

Amazing gardens and great photography too!
No wonder so many house movers are looking for gardens now as top priority.

Marydoll Wed 24-Jun-20 12:33:18

Not much colour in my garden this year, due to garden centres closed. We usually have an abundance of bedding plants and hanging baskets. We tried buying online, but the plants were diseased.?

The only thing which has grown well are my herbs and strawberries.

The pictures were taken at night.

MiniMoon Wed 24-Jun-20 13:49:52

We haven't much garden, just a shrub border and a lot of pots/containers. DH created a little pond in a circular container from Errington Reay pottery. We live near the pottery and DH looks in from time to time to see if they have any bargains. This one was half price due to misfiring.

Marmight Wed 24-Jun-20 14:11:59

So glad I have a garden to potter in during lock down although Im pretty good at killing things off!