Gransnet forums

Gardening

Planting trees

(31 Posts)
Auntieflo Sun 29-Nov-20 19:11:16

I see that Country File has been advocating that people plant trees.
That's all well and good, as long as the tree that you plant is suitable for the area that it will grow in.

There has been a thread on here recently about neighbours and trees.
They can be wonderful, but they can also be a liability.
So, please think before you plant an oak tree.

Dinahmo Mon 30-Nov-20 18:12:24

As well as planting trees I'd like to make a please for mowing less. If grass is left to grow it's likely that there'll be some wild flowers coming up. If not, you could plant seedlings.

Many years ago, before we moved to Suffolk, I saw a programme about Miriam Rothschild and she talked about wild flower meadows and cutting paths through them. She advised the P of Wales at Highgrove. TV programmes, like Monty Don's are increasingly showing wild life gardens. One of the benefits are an increased number of butterflies.

Callistemon Mon 30-Nov-20 18:18:52

Onthenaughtystep1
That's disgraceful!
Those cherry trees are beautiful.
Is there a campaign against their felling?

I know that some trees are felled because they are grown as a crop and woodlands need to be managed, but we need more woodland trees planted.

Callistemon Mon 30-Nov-20 18:19:18

I should have used ** not ^^

Millie22 Mon 30-Nov-20 21:04:55

chocolate pudding
Hmm lovely name
Your orchard sounds fabulous and such a good idea. Fruit trees are so beneficial to many insects and birds.

Fennel Tue 01-Dec-20 11:47:31

Kinsilyou've reminded me about the rowan tree I planted in the small front garden of the house we lived in in the 90s. We sold that house and returned to the same town 20 years later - they had dug up the rowan shock. and even dug up 2 miniature acers that I'd planted in the back garden.
Oct.-Nov. is supposed to be a good time to plant trees. Before the frosts.
ps are rowan berries poisonous?