Gransnet forums

Gardening

What is Your Most Favourite Plant ?

(60 Posts)
FannyCornforth Fri 05-Aug-22 16:45:12

Or indeed favourites…
I love ferns.
Like me, they like the dark and the cool.
And I love the prehistoric look and feel of them.
They really did fraternise with dinosaurs.
So what are yours?
Thank you x

FannyCornforth Fri 05-Aug-22 16:46:17

School girl error! I forgot the ? in the title ?

Casdon Fri 05-Aug-22 17:41:19

Today it’s chocolate cosmos. I’m having a phase of loving really dark flowers, and these are so beautiful.

Bea65 Fri 05-Aug-22 17:45:04

ooh Casdon that plant is really gorgeous...is it a hardy plant as not very green fingered? FannyCornforth love ferns..they just grow and grow and like their structure and feel...

paddyann54 Fri 05-Aug-22 17:48:01

I love pansies with their wee faces trailing out of baskets ,or Livingstone daisies closing up at night ,The sweet purple tiny flowers of my Honesty and the silver pennies when the flowers are gone oh and Oxalis the dark shamrock looking leaves and white flowers that spread themselves all over any vacant space in my borders .
I'm a fairly new gardener but I did watch my Dad for yearsa nd both he and my FIL won many prizes every year for their gardens and flowers/veg .I've a lot to catch up on and live up to

CanadianGran Fri 05-Aug-22 17:49:01

No particular favourite, but I love being among trees, and conifers in general. Just standing under tall hemlock, spruce and cedar brings calm to me - the smell, the quiet majesty of them.

For garden plants - lilacs, sweet peas and perhaps hostas.

Kim19 Fri 05-Aug-22 18:02:23

Gaillardia always make me smile.

Grandmabatty Fri 05-Aug-22 18:08:12

Daisies of every type. Sweetpeas and roses

MaizieD Fri 05-Aug-22 18:11:36

If I really have to choose I think it would be oriental lilies.

But then, there's the first snowdrops of spring....

And my Gertrude Jekyll roses...
And...
And...

So many pleasures

merlotgran Fri 05-Aug-22 18:50:04

I love salvias. There are so many varieties to choose from and are easy to propagate so great for swapping with other salvia collectors.

Caleo Fri 05-Aug-22 18:54:38

I'd have to say my favourite is wild cow parsley which looks terrible right now but in the spring it's gorgeous at the edge of woods and along the lane.

lixy Fri 05-Aug-22 19:02:08

Right now the white balloon flower, especially in the twilight.

But I'll have a different answer for each month!

If I had to choose just one then it would be a white foxglove i think as that's something I have had in every garden I've ever lived with.

Rosie51 Fri 05-Aug-22 19:03:42

Can't have one favourite.......love roses, fuchsias, pansies, hebes and so many others, but if I have to choose just one then it's a daffodil. You can't look at a bunch of daffodils and not smile, well I can't anyway grin

Nannytopsy Fri 05-Aug-22 19:49:21

I am very fond of Brunnera. Lots of lovely forget me not type flowers but none of the mildew problems. One the flowers have finished, there is a mound of attractive leaves.

geekesse Fri 05-Aug-22 20:01:58

Dandelions. So unwanted, yet so relentlessly cheerful.

Callistemon21 Fri 05-Aug-22 20:42:59

Callistemon, of course ?

Fleurpepper Fri 05-Aug-22 20:53:25

Rosie51

Can't have one favourite.......love roses, fuchsias, pansies, hebes and so many others, but if I have to choose just one then it's a daffodil. You can't look at a bunch of daffodils and not smile, well I can't anyway grin

Rosie51, same here. I just don't like the constant 'favourite' questions- town, animal, bird, holiday, and on, and on. I like so many flowers for different reasons and at different times. On Gardener's World tonight, 1 gardener only keeps one plant- gink boa and all its many cultivars. And I just don't get it (but glad it is what he enjoys).

Maggiemaybe Fri 05-Aug-22 20:54:18

For me it's all about the scent - roses, lilac, sweetpeas.....

And night scented stock, that a male relative recently described as old ladies' favourites. Guilty as charged! smile

Libman Fri 05-Aug-22 20:58:56

Agapanthus and Camassia. I love their ‘sturdiness’.

Callistemon21 Fri 05-Aug-22 21:03:53

Oh yes, I've just bought some Agapanthus after failing to find any at the garden centre for a couple of years.
Bright, cheerful and bold!

Libman Fri 05-Aug-22 23:08:12

Callistemon21

Oh yes, I've just bought some Agapanthus after failing to find any at the garden centre for a couple of years.
Bright, cheerful and bold!

I always thought they were difficult to grow but in fact they are quite tough plants. They seemed to grow wild in Portugal when we went there.

henetha Fri 05-Aug-22 23:15:56

Daffodils. They are not just beautiful and cheerful to look at, but represent new life, a new beginning, a new season of hope .
In the house, I love my maidenhair fern bought recently. It's so graceful.

Rosie51 Fri 05-Aug-22 23:29:55

henetha

Daffodils. They are not just beautiful and cheerful to look at, but represent new life, a new beginning, a new season of hope .
In the house, I love my maidenhair fern bought recently. It's so graceful.

I agree, see my post of 19.03. Daffodils are such happy flowers, they foretell of more clement weather, of longer hours of daylight, of such positiveness!

Chestnut Sat 06-Aug-22 00:00:52

I'm also a lover of ferns, they are so beautiful. They remind me of damp woods and babbling streams.

For flowers wild primroses, lilacs, wisteria, sweet peas and pink roses.

Baggytrazzas Sat 06-Aug-22 00:28:58

I absolutely love jasmine in the summer - the scent fills the garden during the day and at night too. It is so exotic.