Gransnet forums

Gardening

What is Your Most Favourite Plant ?

(61 Posts)
FannyCornforth Fri 05-Aug-22 16:45:12

Or indeed favourites…
I love ferns.
Like me, they like the dark and the cool.
And I love the prehistoric look and feel of them.
They really did fraternise with dinosaurs.
So what are yours?
Thank you x

FannyCornforth Sat 06-Aug-22 07:19:05

Ah, lovely answers, thank you.
That chocolate cosmos is gorgeous Casdon
Caleo, I absolutely love cow parsley too. I really wanted to grow it at the bottom of our garden, but DH vetoed it envy

kittylester Sat 06-Aug-22 09:30:11

Dh loves ferns fanny and we have far too many in our small garden.

I love diorama in drifts. Sadly they don't do well in our garden.

BigBertha1 Sat 06-Aug-22 09:35:26

Hellebores and I have never managed to grow them.

Callistemon21 Sat 06-Aug-22 09:39:16

I had a collection of heuchera, different colours but only the dark red ones survived. The roots of the others got eaten by vine weevils I think.

shysal Sat 06-Aug-22 09:42:54

Another Agapanthus lover here. My giant ones are over 6 ft tall, but still in bud, whereas the medium and smaller ones are just going over.

Chestnut Sat 06-Aug-22 09:44:09

Here's a fern for you, FannyC. I loved it so much it grew to an enormous size. It became too large for the living room so I had to put it on the landing. When I moved I had to give it away (no landing!) but I'm pretty sure it went to a good home as the guy was unfazed by its size!

NotSpaghetti Sat 06-Aug-22 09:53:19

I would probably choose the daffodil too.
New life, new beginnings and a deep connection to my Welsh family.

Snowdrops for similar reasons.

GrannyTracey Sat 06-Aug-22 09:56:02

The violet plant is my absolute. My gran gave me my first violet plant when I married 39 years ago . Gran is long gone but the cuttings I have taken all descendants of the one she gave me all those years ago . Every year I take two or three leaf cuttings & grow a new plant . They flower two or three times a year & give me such joy . I often give them away to friends with strict instructions on how to look after them ?

henetha Sat 06-Aug-22 10:04:06

Ah, yes, Rosie51. Daffodils really are wonderful. I look forward to them every spring. I try to plant different ones each year. I like the little ones too, tete-a-tete etc.

FannyCornforth Sat 06-Aug-22 10:06:01

Wow Chestnut! What an absolute beauty ?

Cherrytree59 Sat 06-Aug-22 10:11:02

My lovely hydrangeas.
Absolutely gorgeous at the moment .
Have a beautiful big white one in bloom, a real show stopper.
I have several in shades of pink also purple/lilac

Try as I might, the beautiful blue that my grandmother had in her garden still alludes me.
I have tried rusty nails and vinegar, but still no success

I have huge Ferns on my shaded side of the garden OP , my little grandsons used run on out of them playing dinosaurs ?

After the gloom winter daffodils never fail yo left my mood.

Visgir1 Sat 06-Aug-22 10:26:06

Agree too many to select all fabulous.. I have no luck with Roses, but one day I will.
I do have a beautiful big Banana plant that threw off a large Flower about 3 years ago, that was stunning but it has only happened once, I have had this Banana plant about 15 years!

FannyCornforth Sat 06-Aug-22 10:32:19

Visgirl that’s amazing about your banana plant.
Do you have a photo please?

TillyTrotter Sat 06-Aug-22 11:49:11

This is one of mine. It’s a David Austin rose but I can’t remember the name of it.
The fragrance is divine.

FannyCornforth Sat 06-Aug-22 12:08:40

That’s perfection Tilly

Ro60 Sat 06-Aug-22 12:24:29

Aquilegia for their range of shape & colour - self seed & so easy to grow.

FannyCornforth Sat 06-Aug-22 12:37:19

Is the rose the ‘Grahame Thomas’ Tilly?
I’ve got a bunch of these faux roses which are a copy of them

toscalily Sat 06-Aug-22 12:42:34

I think I would like a favourite for every season but if I really have to choose it would be Tete e Tete Daffodils, they are such sturdy little things, so bright and cheerful and bring me great joy after the winter months, I now have lots. I have tried, and still have other Daffodils in the garden but they always seem to get damaged & beaten down by the wind & rain. I had one chocolate Cosmos in a pot for several years (with other plants). I decided to refresh the soil this year and found it had grown very large so I cut it in half, planted both halves up and now have two very vigorous plants with lots of blooms.

MawtheMerrier Sat 06-Aug-22 13:22:29

I love peonies, pale pink ones, bright pinky red ones, white ones.
I have bright pink ones which I brought from my parents’ garden when I was selling the family home 21 years ago.

However, there is a universal truth, namely that the peonies flower - and the rain comes down

Rosie51 Sat 06-Aug-22 13:24:54

However, there is a universal truth, namely that the peonies flower - and the rain comes down isn't that the truth!! And it matters not one jot if they flower earlier or later than usual, the rain will fall as soon as the buds have opened.

TillyTrotter Sat 06-Aug-22 19:44:25

I have remembered the name Fanny , I believe it is
“Jude the Obscure”
the one you suggested is very similar - and aren’t they realistic?

Nannylovesshopping Sat 06-Aug-22 19:48:51

I love agapanthus, I have some beauties ?

Jaxjacky Sat 06-Aug-22 20:00:19

I wish my peonies were in flower now if that’s true, might curtail our hosepipe ban ?

Callistemon21 Sat 06-Aug-22 20:03:42

MawtheMerrier

I love peonies, pale pink ones, bright pinky red ones, white ones.
I have bright pink ones which I brought from my parents’ garden when I was selling the family home 21 years ago.

However, there is a universal truth, namely that the peonies flower - and the rain comes down

I have one called Bowl of Beauty and it lives up to its name!

Visgir1 Sat 06-Aug-22 20:35:17

FannyCornforth

Visgirl that’s amazing about your banana plant.
Do you have a photo please?

They developed more but these are the only pictures I could find.