Gransnet forums

Gardening

What is Your Most Favourite Plant ?

(61 Posts)
FannyCornforth Fri 05-Aug-22 16:45:12

Or indeed favourites…
I love ferns.
Like me, they like the dark and the cool.
And I love the prehistoric look and feel of them.
They really did fraternise with dinosaurs.
So what are yours?
Thank you x

aggie Sat 06-Aug-22 20:37:15

I love Hydrangeas, I have one with a red tinge to the leaves and dusky pink flowers

Esmay Sun 07-Aug-22 16:55:33

I also love ferns it's exciting to think that they existed when dinosaurs walked on the earth .
I feel the same about cycads and Ginko Biloba .
One species of Magnolia existed all those years ago .
As more fossils are found who knows what else can be discovered?
Otherwise it's roses , fuchsias , rhododendrons /azaleas , acer , japonica , agapanthus ,echinops , pinks /carnations , lilies , wisteria , clematis , nerines , lily of the valley , hellebores ,scabious , poppies , lavender ,chrysanthemums ,dahlias ... the list is endless .

Everytime I see a plant in bloom I think yes that's my favourite...until something else flowers .

If pushed it's iris and it started with painting them .

They don't make great cut flowers and their leaves can be ugly , but when they bloom - they really capture my imagination .

FannyCornforth Mon 08-Aug-22 06:56:41

The plant that I’m absolutely loving at the moment is actually my neighbour’s, which has now taken over my fence.
It’s a Passion flower and it’s absolutely thriving.
I’ve never seen a plant so full of life!
And she grew it from a seed!
I’ll post a photo later.

Greyduster Mon 08-Aug-22 07:16:31

Anything that thrives on a rockery; I love rockeries. Mine is modest but I look forward to the arabis and aubretia, the huge tumbling froth of alyssum saxatile ‘gold dust’, the phlox, thyme and campanula and the snakes head fritillaries. Rock gardens anywhere are my “thing”!

pensionpat Mon 08-Aug-22 08:27:46

I agree with Christopher Lloyd. My favourite plant is the one I’m looking at.

Georgesgran Mon 08-Aug-22 08:39:23

I like any plant I can keep alive, sadly no green fingers here. I don’t like yellow (anything), the only exception being daffodils which I buy for indoors. As others say, it heralds Spring. My garden is all pink, lilac and blues and I’m very fond of a bed of pink roses - it’s where we put all our dogs ashes and I’ve a pergola covered by clematis, which is spectacular too. Love stocks - both colours and scent. I’m trying to grow lupins again after a failed attempt many years ago.

Kalu Mon 08-Aug-22 09:11:02

Peonies for me too Maw. I have three varieties around the garden and always buy bunches of fresh cut to place around the house. Such a beautiful flower from a small bud to a fully opened showy bloom. They are a delight.

I also love daffodils heralding signs of spring, lucifer crocosmia, iris, blue and white Canterbury bells, and, and…
far to many more to mention.

nanna8 Mon 08-Aug-22 11:28:52

I like wisteria, one of the first to flower in Spring here. Grows and spreads all over our backyard. That and passion fruits.

25Avalon Mon 08-Aug-22 11:30:10

I love peonies too Kalu and Maw and the bonus is the deer and rabbits don't. I also have a soft spot for Centaurea as theyeave that alone top

Penstemons and alstroemeria.flower their hearts out from June to October on my difficult garden so they are.favourites too.

winterwhite Mon 08-Aug-22 12:25:04

Just at the moment, crocosmia Emily McKenzie - short and generally more compact than Lucifer and flowers a bit later.

If picking just one, foxgloves in the wild.