Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

What's your earliest memory?

(62 Posts)
Oxon70 Wed 27-Jul-11 21:17:44

I remember crawling across the hall floor heading for the front door which was open, with the sun shining in.
I wanted to get to the pole outside which held up the porch, to pull myself up. My mum was surprised that I recalled details about this house, because I left there when I was two.

ninathenana Tue 12-Jun-12 22:47:39

I woke up to a life size doll sitting a red pushchair next to my bed on Christmas morning.
I was 3 yrs old the following month.

crimson Tue 12-Jun-12 23:10:07

I've always had an awareness of a time in my life when I heard a man's voice and a woman's voice, but it seemed far away and I couldn't see anything. I know this sounds silly but I often wondered if it was before I was born? I can still 'feel' the event somehow. Probably not, though, as I have very little recollection of things that happened when I was very young [my ex can remember things like sitting in his pram]. Going to school for the first time. Seeing a big black teddy bear in a local shop window that I wanted so badly,and then waking up to find it in my room on Christmas Day.

Joan Thu 14-Jun-12 06:52:16

I remember being in a cot in a room made of wood and painted green. There was a small window above my cot, covered in wire mesh. I once asked Mum what that was, and she was astounded I remembered. This was a holiday 'chalet' somewhere on the East coast of Yorkshire, which we rented when I was 18 months old, in 1946. It had been an army base during the war.

Shadylady Fri 22-Jun-12 20:30:32

I can remember sleeping under a table with wire mesh around the edges. I think it must have been an air-raid shelter.

johanna Fri 22-Jun-12 20:44:17

Being led into my parents bedroom. My mother was in bed. She looked so so happy, and beautiful, she had an aura.
That was the day my brother was born. I was Two and a half years old.

Hope all the psychologists mentioned by Petallus are reading this thread!!......

AlieOxon Fri 22-Jun-12 20:57:39

I remember crawling across the hall floor in Frodsham where I was born...I wanted to get out of the front door which was open, to reach the pole outside (part of the porch) so I could pull myself up. It was sunny out there.

Another very early one is on a train and I am up on my mum's shoulder - I think this is when we left Frodsham, I was 2 and it would be the first time on a train.

jeni Fri 22-Jun-12 21:02:07

I remember being scared to go up a set of steps up to where we lived . The radio was on and I was standing next to an air brick! I was sure there was a bull on the house.
This was at the hospital on lido de Venezia which my father was in charge of!
I suppose I was 1- to1 1/2 years old

Ariadne Fri 22-Jun-12 21:33:44

I remember coming along the road with my mother, in my siren suit (made from the linings of airmen's jackets) with my special red boots on, and wanting and wanting to wee, and then weeing and my boots being wet and warm. Must have been under three.

johanna Fri 22-Jun-12 21:55:23

jeni
It is not fair to post a cliffhanger like this!
Your father was in charge of the Ospedale of the Lido di Venezia??????

Please fill us in. It must be fascinating! Please....?????

jeni Fri 22-Jun-12 22:04:38

Just after the war. Father signed on for two years and mother and I were sent out to join him. He was a doctor, in charge of the hospital. My earliest memories are all of Venice. The whole family fell in love with the city and kept revivisiting her!
I still do!
My daughter is called 'Venetia'

johanna Fri 22-Jun-12 22:10:27

Thank you jeni

johanna Fri 22-Jun-12 22:14:41

P.S jeni
Now I understand your choice of plants for your front garden..smile

j04 Fri 22-Jun-12 22:15:39

I remember kneeling up in the pushchair/pram thing they had in those days, so I was facing away from my aunt who was pushing, and sticking my tongue out at all the young ladies we passed whilst smiling sweetly at all the old ones.

confused [weird]

j04 Fri 22-Jun-12 22:16:20

I've probably said that before somewhere on GN. Sorry if so.

j04 Fri 22-Jun-12 22:17:54

Oh, and I remember the same aunt pushing me past the school and saying, "That's where you will be going soon". I am possibly imagining that there was a note of satisfaction in her voice.

Anagram Fri 22-Jun-12 22:22:21

grin

jeni Fri 22-Jun-12 22:22:50

Actually there is a sequelom!
While I was waiting to see if I had been accepted for medical school, we all went to Venice.
Father decided to visit the hospital.
On arrival, one of the nuns rembered him and introduced him to the current boss who immediately whipped him off for a consultation with the family of a dying Englishman who spoke no Italian
In the meantime the nun told me how she remembered me as as a blue eyed curly blonde haired child! 'like an angel'
At 5ft7in towering over over this tiny nun whose only treat had been on the occasion of her 80th birthday to be allowed to walk to visit the pigs at the bottom of the convent/hospital grounds I felt quite humble!

soop Sat 23-Jun-12 12:46:54

Wearing a new 'siren suit' and running along the platform at Castle Station towards my father in uniform. Being picked up and carried on his shoulders though blasts of steam from a mighty engine. smile

Domino Mon 25-Jun-12 19:36:11

I too remember my siren suit , waking my parents when the siren started
and running down the garden to the shelter. My nan wouldn't go until
she had a cup of tea first.

nanaej Mon 25-Jun-12 19:59:53

I remember being in my Silver Cross pram and going to the shops with my mum. No idea how old I was! anything up to 2+ I guess!

carolb Fri 19-Oct-12 00:01:35

I remember lying in a cot and visitors coming to our house. They all gathered around the cot and were making a big fuss of me. I could only have been a few months old.

Eloethan Tue 26-Feb-13 17:07:41

I thought my memory went back a long way until I read some of these posts. My earliest memory is looking out of the bedroom window in Clapham and seeing what even to me now was a tiger striding across the back garden (it must have been a cat). I suppose I was about 2.

susieb755 Thu 28-Feb-13 22:36:41

I remember standing in my cot waiting for m brothers to come home from boarding school - before I was 2 .and being taken of in the ambulance with pneumonia when I was 2 1/4

Flowerofthewest Thu 14-Mar-13 09:46:35

just starting to walk and bumping my head on the corner of the table. I visited a friend who was living in the flats we lived in when I was born. As soon as I walked in I knew where her living area was, kitchen and bedrooms, I was less than three when we moved from there.

I also remember a steam roller coming down our new road (our new house) and rolling past us, I was just under 3.

Again bumping my head, I was sitting on a board confused on the top of my new sister's pram, must have been just 3, when I fell and again banged my head, mum took me into Boots (a tiny shop then) and they administered to me.

Flowerofthewest Thu 14-Mar-13 23:06:16

Feeling paranoid, every time I join a thread it seems to end with my latest comment and then nothing confused sad