Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Who were your teen idols?

(139 Posts)
skydiver Mon 26-Sep-11 15:45:57

I had crushes on Davy Jones of the Monkees - which I can hardly believe now - and Ilya Kuriakin out of The Man From U.N.C.L.E. Weird.

susiecb Mon 26-Sep-11 15:48:46

Paul MCartney - god when I think what a ghastly drip he is!

Granny23 Mon 26-Sep-11 16:19:55

The Everly Brothers, especially the thinest one. Eventually went to see them in Edinburgh during their reunion tour - no longer fanciable but the music was just as good.

Libradi Mon 26-Sep-11 16:37:50

Donny Osmand, David Cassidy, David Essex and Tony Curtis, especially when he played Houdini.

Gally Mon 26-Sep-11 16:53:11

Richard Chamberlain (Dr. Kildare). I had books about him, photos, newspaper cuttings and records which I played on my Dansette, but my bubble was burst when a friend's Mum sat behind him in a London theatre and he was with his boyfriend - I think that was my first introduction to the Gay world although I don't think I really understood it then as I was very naivesad. I was also rather keen on Gene Pitney (24 Hours from Tulsa which I yodelled along to - again on the Dansette!) and when I was about 9 I bought a photograph of Cliff Richard to stick on my bedroom wall, because everyone else was doing it sad

goldengirl Mon 26-Sep-11 16:53:14

Richard Chamberlain aka Dr Kildare. My bedroom was plastered with posters and cuttings of him and I played his first LP until it nearly played both sides. I also dreamed of Pernell Roberts aka Adam Cartwright in Bonanza. I enjoyed pop music but none made my pulse quicken like these two.

Annobel Mon 26-Sep-11 17:13:55

Ah yes...Dr Kildare, very dishy. Gregory Peck was my pin-up.

kittylester Mon 26-Sep-11 17:56:24

Billy Fury, Richard Chamberlain, Paul Jones, Scott Walker, Paul McCartney (sorry susiecb but I still love him) - I could go on but I think I need a lie down with a stiff drink!!

harrigran Mon 26-Sep-11 22:55:00

Del Shannon, Gene Pitney, Everly brothers,Tremeloes, and just about every other singer and band in the early 60s. My sister bought a radiogram soon after she started work and that was great because if I could not afford the records at least I could listen to radio Luxemburg.

supernana Tue 27-Sep-11 14:05:36

The Everly Bros - Bill Hayley [had a kiss curl in middle of my forehead to prove it]...Elvis [without a doubt] Richard Chamberlain and Gregory Peck [gorgeous]...wink

biggran Tue 27-Sep-11 15:43:13

Definately Cliff Richard, abandoned in favour of The Rolling Stones. Went to see them do Juke Box Jury and got their autographs - managed to get nail varnish all over Mick Jaggers hands as the bottle had leaked in my handbag onto my autograph book!!

Jacey Tue 27-Sep-11 15:49:54

Not to look at ...but to listen to his voice ...has to be Richard Burton! Sends shivers up my spin just thinking about it! blush

GoldenGran Tue 27-Sep-11 15:59:45

Adam Faith, he made me go week at the knees, I had 50 photos of him in my wallet. It made my day when I saw him in London once in the street, a few years before he died. I loved the Beatles and the Stones, and my first pop concert was Cliff, but none of them made me feel like Adam didwink

kittylester Tue 27-Sep-11 17:13:19

Hi goldengran, I'd forgotten Adam Faith (how could I!!) Do you remember him in 'Budgie'?

GoldenGran Tue 27-Sep-11 17:50:46

I do ,I loved him, I also remember he gave financial advice in on of the newspapers, The mail?

numberplease Tue 27-Sep-11 17:51:24

Loads of people, all male, but primarily Cliff Richard, Elvis Presley, Billy Fury and Marty Wilde. Groups I liked were The Shadows and The Hollies, oh, and The Searchers.

greenmossgiel Tue 27-Sep-11 19:26:22

The Kinks, The Stones, I even liked the 'gentleness' of Donovan - still do! smile

numberplease Tue 27-Sep-11 21:12:34

Oh yes, Donovan, wasn`t he pretty for a boy?

GoldenGran Tue 27-Sep-11 21:50:15

Yes I liked Donovan too. Used to sit with first daughter on lap and singing Jennifer Juniper to her. Those were the dayssmile

glammanana Tue 27-Sep-11 22:22:54

Billy J Kramer was one of my favourite pin-up's and of course The Beatle's but I could listen to Barry White all day long,I thought Dave Clark was fab and Stevie Marriot from The Small Face's.

crimson Wed 28-Sep-11 18:02:27

First crush was Peter Noone from Herman's Hermits followed by Syd Barrett of Pink Floyd [grew out of the former but not the latter and cried buckets when he died]. However, the mention of the Dave Clark Five made me remember a secret crush I had on the organist from that group..so secret I never really admitted it to myself even. So pretend I never said it blush....

absentgrana Wed 28-Sep-11 19:17:40

I don't think I ever had teenage crushes, although I listened to pop music when I could – buying singles was not allowed in our house, so I mostly relied on Radio Luxembourg and then the pirate stations. In my horribly pretentious teen years I wanted to be Françoise Sagin or Simone de Beauvoir. Later, as a student, I had the classic Che Guevara poster (plus one of Dylan) on my bedroom walls.

mrshat Wed 28-Sep-11 19:49:19

Cliff Richard and Paul McCartney - O dear! blush

silverfoxygran Wed 28-Sep-11 20:45:12

Does anyone else remember Robert Horton in Wagon Train? I loved him but not nearly as much as James Garner as Maverick.

kittylester Wed 28-Sep-11 20:52:59

Do you remember how all the concerts had loads of different groups in them. I remember sitting under the balcony and bits if the ceiling falling on us when Dave Clarke was playing "Glad All Over". It was being dislodged by people stamping to the title!!