Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

60 Years of the Queen's reign - what defines it for you?

(56 Posts)
JosieGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 17-May-12 15:04:35

With the Queen's Jubilee coming up we thought it would be a great time to relive all the fond memories we have of the Queen's reign. What do you think Elizabeth II's reign will be remembered for?

Did you watch the Queen's coronation? What do you remember about it? What are your top royal moments of the last 60 years?

jeni Mon 28-May-12 10:31:48

I think that technically they are right! The scots have their omn regalia don't theyconfused

Anagram Mon 28-May-12 10:56:28

What about Wales? confused

JosieGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 30-May-12 10:20:32

Thanks for all your comments about the Queen's Jubilee - fascinating!

We've collected some of them together on a page about Jubilee memories

SJP Fri 01-Jun-12 17:00:09

My earliest memory is of the Queen re-opening the Guildhall in Portsmouth on 8th June 1959. I would have been just 3, but I can remember being on one of my parents shoulders waving a union jack amongst a crowd of people. I can also remember her doing a walk about in Portsmouth in 1977 and having a street party with my neighbours and children.
The Queen is a big asset to the UK constant, dutiful, steadfast and a far superior figurehead than her here today gone tomorrow politicians. I don't begrudge her or the country the celebrations this week-end, let's be proud of our country and show it to the world.

pinkprincess Fri 01-Jun-12 17:51:57

The coronation was a few days before my ninth birthday and I watched it on my grandparents brand new TV which my uncle had bought for them.It had a tiny screen and was in a thick wooden cabinet.My grandma had a few nieghbours in to watch and had made loads of sandwiches and cakes.
My brother had been born a few days earlier and my mother was still in the local maternity hospital.There must have been no telly in there and she was dissapointed not seeing the coronation especially because she asked to come home, but rules then were at least a week in bed after having a baby.
My sisters and I had red white and blue hair ribbons in fact everything was red white and blue.We got a coronation cup and a tin with a chocolate bar inside from school. My brother got red white and blue play beads to go across his pram from the people in our street as he was their coronation baby.