Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

What's the worst Christmas present you ever gave or received?

(55 Posts)
broomsticks Wed 18-Dec-13 22:32:06

My mother-in-law always remembered that one of her sons, who shall be nameless, once gave her half a pounds of lard for Christmas hmm

TriciaF Thu 19-Dec-13 17:23:18

It was a mauve jumper too (a colour which makes me look dead.)
From my dear sweet Mum who otherwise gave me lovely presents.
I still wear the navy jacket which I bought with the money she gave me for my 60th, many years ago.
I still miss her, didn't really appreciate her until a few years after she died.

annodomini Thu 19-Dec-13 18:10:14

Every Christmas in my teens, my aunt gave me a pair of nylons - her size, not mine, and rather large. Nevertheless, I wore them, though Nora Batty hadn't been heard of in the 1950s.

Agus Thu 19-Dec-13 18:42:06

Every year, my darling Father would give me a box of Black Magic, a little extra present just from him to me despite the fact I don't have a sweet tooth and since childhood the taste of dark chocolate makes me feel sick! I always gave him a cuddle and said "oh, thank you Dad". I would eat a sackful now if I thought it would bring him back.

I suppose if this is what I class as my worst present, I can't complain.

Sook Thu 19-Dec-13 18:44:18

Flower tchgrin reminds me of the Christmas my DH bought me luxurious lingerie -size 10 I was struggling to loose extra pounds after DS2s birth and had never ever been a size 10. I was furious with him, not only because we couldn't afford it but also the size. I insisted it was returned so we took it back to the posh shop he had bought it from only to find that DS1s bottle of orange juice had leaked and soaked the underwear (DHs fault of course) tchangry

The worst present I ever bought was a bottle of very cheap scent (50p) for my BILs obnoxious girlfriend. The previous Christmas I had bought her some underwear and tights, she remarked on opening her gift that she had enough to open a shop. This was in front of MIL who was another ungrateful recipient of gifts and made similar comments. Both imo were extremely rude. I gift wrapped it beautifully and the look on her face when she opened told me she knew it was an insult, I think she knew better than to comment that time round. Fortunately for us both we didn't end up as SILs. tchgrin

annodomini Thu 19-Dec-13 19:36:22

My sister and I combed the Christmas catalogues for the most unsuitable present for our obnoxious BiL (other sister's now-ex husband). I seem to remember that we hit on a sort of jokey bow tie. I never received thanks tchshock] from him.[s Not long after that, our sister gave him his marching orders.

annodomini Thu 19-Dec-13 19:36:52

Jumping cursor in that post! tchshock

janerowena Thu 19-Dec-13 19:47:57

Ex bought me an oldlady nighty just after I had my daughter, because I used to watch the Golden Girls and he thought I would like a nice warm nighty like theirs. I was desperately upset because I thought that was how he now saw me, unsexy and mumsy.

My mother wanted garden compost one year. Lots of it. No-one would deliver and she lived 30 miles away, so one day I made two round trips with my car loaded up with the stuff. She was far more pleased with that gift than I was.

harrigran Fri 20-Dec-13 13:03:47

One of my DD's friends gave her a cami-top, before unfolding it looked quite nice, then she found it was a size 20 and obviously just come out of the friend's lingerie drawer because DD is a size 6.

broomsticks Fri 20-Dec-13 15:12:51

As a kid I remember the worst presents were handkerchiefs. You would open this promising looking parcel from some elderly aunt or great aunt and find ... a box of handkerchiefs with little dollies or something embroidered on. What a terrible thing to do to a child! grin

Stansgran Fri 20-Dec-13 18:09:46

Oh TriciaF I hope our daughters won't have to say that. Made me so sad.

Mamie Fri 20-Dec-13 18:19:12

There is a very funny thread on Mumsnet where MiL has asked everyone to write a poem for her for Christmas. Hope it isn't one of us? (The MiL suppository thread is very funny too...)

Nonu Fri 20-Dec-13 18:28:55

Tell you what gives me the greatest pleasure on the rare occasion I go on to Mumsnet , that they themselves will be in that position one day. The biter will be bit .
One has to be so very careful what one wishes for !

tchgrin tchgrin

joannapiano Fri 20-Dec-13 18:42:13

When DS was 10, my childless SiL brought a large oblong parcel to put under our tree for him. He unwrapped the paper and found a large box inside.He excitedly opened it-empty! We examined the box more closely and discovered that was the present-it was for filing documents.

tiggypiro Fri 20-Dec-13 19:00:20

Oh yes broomsticks I too not only remember the hankies but I think if I had a good look I may well find some. Unless of course I have chucked them out in one of my very sporadic clear outs. My Nana used to edge them with tatting too and I never appreciated the work she must have put in. They were very rarely used as they were much too posh for playing around the farm or to take to school which is probably why they may still be lurking somewhere. Instead we had hankies made from the bags the flour came in.

How very disappointing joannapiano to be given an empty box at the age of ten. Now at one year old .............................!

KatyK Sat 21-Dec-13 12:33:12

Last year my sister excitedly opened a lovely looking parcel from a friend - it was a box of tissues !tchgrin]

KatyK Sat 21-Dec-13 12:33:29

or tchgrin even

Stansgran Sat 21-Dec-13 15:47:32

But has anyone ever been asked to give 250ml of Brake fluid dot 4 as a Christmas present? I have . This morning .By DH.tchhmm

broomsticks Sun 22-Dec-13 14:31:05

Makes a change from a bottle of wine tchgrin I hope.

eGJ Mon 23-Dec-13 12:15:20

MiL gave us a very strange curved photograph frame; effusive thanks from DH. Result........a DOUBLE curved photo frame the next year! tchgrin

Nonu Mon 23-Dec-13 12:32:06

That will teach him to keep quiet !
tchgrin

Flowerofthewest Mon 23-Dec-13 18:41:36

I have three of those very strange curved photo frames. Very odd indeed and they keep falling over

broomsticks Tue 24-Dec-13 16:27:15

Hope I've got it right for everyone this Christmasntchsmile

Happy Christmas

Charleygirl Tue 24-Dec-13 21:55:30

My ex MiL used to always give me something for the kitchen- nothing of any use or very expensive eg a cheap carving knife or a tea towel or two. I had inherited everything my parents owned when they died. Also collecting a fair amount of kitchen stuff before I got married and ditto my ex. We were well catered for.

I also remember the handkerchiefs as a child. I was always so disappointed.

rosesarered Thu 09-Jan-14 10:54:16

I didn't mind the hankies if they also came with a little box of Smarties!Must admit, although I have enjoyed reading your posts, I can't think of a worst present either received or given, obviously some years are better than others!
I don't mind if I am given a recycled present, as long as it's something I can use myself [and it's in a clean state.] I do remember being a bit disappointed by DH's presents now and then, but realise now that men have no idea about what we want. If you get a warm nightie, it's because he really thinks you would like one, it's not a veiled insult.

rosesarered Thu 09-Jan-14 10:55:35

Anyway, these days, I WOULD like a warm nightie! grin