Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

What's the worst Christmas present you ever gave or received?

(55 Posts)
broomsticks Wed 18-Dec-13 22:32:06

My mother-in-law always remembered that one of her sons, who shall be nameless, once gave her half a pounds of lard for Christmas hmm

HappyNanna Thu 09-Jan-14 11:20:11

Don't often post, but must reply to this one. Many years ago when I was a young single mum my boyfriend gave me a cheese bell. When I expressed disappointment he said well, I wanted to get you a bread bin but they didn't have any. Needless to say he didn't last much longer, but my daughter and I have a laugh about now and again. (Have still got the cheese bell which must be about 30 years old) smile

sunseeker Thu 09-Jan-14 12:49:55

My friend and I used to give each other "funny" presents - one year I bought her a baby's bottle (she is single and has no children) but filled it with vodka! I think that was the year she gave me a skipping rope and a diet book (I had been whinging about putting on weight!)

kittylester Thu 09-Jan-14 14:39:06

My SiL, who I love dearly, can be quite tight and one year gave me a second hand machine for peeling new potatoes. It was still in it's original box but had been well used and the box was disintegrating.

Sonsybesom Thu 23-Jan-14 19:47:58

My worst present was from my aunt, wrapped in several boxes all wrapped in Christmas paper, when I was about seven. i was so excited, unwrapping every layer..... To find inside a grey plastic rain hat like a pixie hood!! Never forgot it! And have never as far as I know given useful presents to little girls! Grin