Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Remembering Greatnan - Carol Sheridan

(63 Posts)
Gagagran Fri 24-Oct-14 11:30:39

I am sure many of us will be thinking of Carol this weekend. It will be a year since she was found and the long search for her came to such a sad end. I hope her family have come to terms with their loss and will be pleased to know that she has not been forgotten here on GN.

merlotgran Fri 24-Oct-14 18:26:33

It's much quieter without her and I think she'd like that too.

Purpledaffodil Fri 24-Oct-14 18:26:50

I actually came to Gransnet through Greatgran. There was so much publicity when she disappeared and a lot about Gransnet too. Curious, I came to have a look and stayed. When her posts come up on old and revived threads, I always thank her silently, she sounded such a wise woman. flowers

tanith Fri 24-Oct-14 18:32:28

Thats a lovely post Purpledaffodil its nice to know you came here via Greatnan.

yogagran Fri 24-Oct-14 18:32:39

Can't believe that it's a year ago, seems much more recent. I miss her feistiness too

moomin Fri 24-Oct-14 19:30:27

Greatnan flowers

tiggypiro Fri 24-Oct-14 20:29:06

Her sense of adventure was inspiring and is missed. flowers

durhamjen Fri 24-Oct-14 20:55:31

I bought a tree in her name in a Woodland Trust wood, as she always seemed one with nature to me. Hard to believe it's a year ago.

annodomini Fri 24-Oct-14 21:56:47

That was a lovely thought, durhamjen. I know she would have been very touched.

vegasmags Sat 25-Oct-14 09:55:56

What I appreciated about her was her honesty and lack of ego. She would write quite frankly about her own life and the mistakes she had made, but would always offer support and practical advice to those trying to implement change in their own lives. She was a real inspiration to me when, after a spell in the doldrums, I was trying hard to improve my physical fitness. I miss her.

glammanana Sat 25-Oct-14 16:29:01

Greatly missed Carol flowers one of a kind indeed.

Marmight Mon 27-Oct-14 08:15:49

While looking for something else, I came upon this post which Carol greatnan wrote in November 2011. I think it sums up her exuberance and her complete delight in the outdoors. I hope she was feeling just like this when she went on her final walk :

"My daughter lives in Wakefield, a village about 12 miles from the North coast of South Island - the nearest towns are Richmond and Nelson.

I had not run since childhood, but last January, in the lovely sunshine in NZ, I just suddenly felt the urge to jog round the garden - the family were amazed. However, I found it a bit hard on the knees, so I went back to walking. I find sprinting flat out is actually easier on the knees!

I am acutely aware of how lucky I am to enjoy good health (other than slightly high blood pressure, meaning I have to take Ramipril, and a bit of arthritis in the knees). My main reason for wanting to lose weight was not cosmetic (I really don't care about my appearance) but to stay as healthy as possible so I can continue to live alone in this isolated and beautiful spot.

I know what you mean about feeling smug but my principal feeling when I am walking is just sheer happiness. Today, the sun was shining and I explored some new villages then walked by a stream in a forest.

I have talked about my concern that I was getting too obsessive about walking, but today I got back to my car after 1hr 55 mins and did not feel the need to walk round for another five mintues to make up the two hours, as I have in the past. Small steps!"

Greenfinch Mon 27-Oct-14 08:28:54

Thank you for this Marmight. Something positive to reflect on on a Monday morning and so typical of Greatnan

Icyalittle Mon 27-Oct-14 08:44:59

The year has gone fast. I first really came to GN because Carol was missing, because I was out in the Alps when it happened, and joined in the search in a small way. flowers again to those of you who knew her, or 'knew' her.

grannyactivist Mon 27-Oct-14 08:54:45

I do think of Carol's family who are approaching the first year anniversary and will be remembering the events of last year with sadness.

On a slightly different note - her anonymity has been completely lost through the events surrounding her death and I do hope this hasn't caused difficulties within her wider family.

whenim64 Mon 27-Oct-14 08:58:57

Icy I remember you arriving, so concerned and wanting to help. Your posts were comforting, knowing you were over there in that area.

I just looked on last year's 'Tributes to Carol' thread to find this from one of my posts - it's the image I still get of Carol when she comes into my thoughts.

'My abiding memory is of us tootling along mountain passes in beautiful autumn sunshine, windows open, with Katherine Jenkins and Maria Callas arias emanating from her CD player, singing her head off. Just where she belonged.'

Ariadne Mon 27-Oct-14 09:06:17

When an older thread is suddenly resuscitated, it seems quite normal to see Greatnan in the middle of some discussion or argument, but a small shock at the same time. She was a good friend to me as well.

granjura Mon 27-Oct-14 09:56:26

GreatNan disappeared on today, the 27th- but last year it was a Sunday, the day after time going back.

It was such a beautiful day yesterday- and my thoughts were with her and her family- as this very tragic event brought us close. GN was only found on the 6th of November, just 1 hour after her daughter, 2 grandsons and myself arrived in her resort. It is so sad that she had become more and more keen on taking more and more risk- as she was so looking to spending Christmas in NZ and emigrating there 1 or 2 years later.

But she has been spared the inequities of old life- and for that we should be very grateful. RIP Carol.

Mamie Mon 27-Oct-14 10:05:18

RIP Carol.
And a hug for you Granjura. I know how much you did to get the authorities looking for her and at the same time supporting her family.

annodomini Mon 27-Oct-14 10:28:16

A sadly short-lived friendship; a lifetime of wonderful memories. Thank you Carol. flowers

mrshat Mon 27-Oct-14 18:03:10

Goodness - a whole year ago! A wonderful lady and greatly missed flowers

Iam64 Tue 28-Oct-14 08:15:16

An inspirational, kind, clever and generous woman, much missed flowers

deserving Tue 28-Oct-14 09:38:11

Dipped in again, at what seems a very apt moment. don't think I have bothered to check up on the happenings since 'Greatnan" Carol left us.
We clashed 'in public, often, but our Pm's were another thing. As many of you are aware, she had a wicked sense of humour.

NfkDumpling Tue 28-Oct-14 09:38:15

I hope someone from her family drops in on GN and spots these tributes. Anniversaries especially the first one can be difficult times.

kiwifi Tue 28-Oct-14 16:16:39

Thank you to everyone who has posted in this thread and to everyone who helped last year in the search for Greatnan. I am Carol's daughter and I find it very comforting to know that she was so well liked and remembered by her friends on Gransnet. This has been a very difficult year as you can imagine, we had planned for Mum to come to New Zealand permanently so that I could nag about her reckless behaviour and she could ignore me and find even more perilous tracks to climb in the beautiful mountains over here. She was an absolutely amazing woman, I'm very proud of her, she has left a huge hole in our lives, but she has also left us a lot of wonderful memories.

NfkDumpling Tue 28-Oct-14 16:21:24

flowers