Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Autograph Books

(33 Posts)
mrsmopp Sat 15-Nov-14 16:56:10

I was given one when I was about 10, and we all seemed to have one in our class. No celebrities then. We wrote in each other's - did you? Remember those little rhymes?
YYUR
YYUB
ICUR
YY4 me.

My class teacher wrote:
Your future lies before you
Like a path of untrodden snow.
Be careful how you tread,
Because every step will show.

Yes, I've found my old autograph book and it's full of memories.

Mishap Sat 15-Nov-14 16:57:38

I do indeed remember, but mine are sadly lost - I can see them in my mind's eye though and it brings back happy memories.

merlotgran Sat 15-Nov-14 18:17:39

My autograph book is one of my most treasured possessions. My school friends all wrote in it and there's a short poem from my lovely Dad who died far too young,

Eyes of brown, imperious frown,
Redeemed by happy laughter,
Slim of line, features fine,
That's you, my darling daughter.

I used to think it should have been darling DAFTER!! grin

mrsmopp Sat 15-Nov-14 19:02:09

I love that one, Merlotgran.

Here is my dad's offering:

Last night I held a little hand,
So dainty and so neat.
I thought my heart would surely burst,
So wildly did it beat.

No other hand held ere so tight
Could greater gladness bring,
Than the little hand I held last night,
Four aces and a king.

merlotgran Sat 15-Nov-14 19:04:30

grin mrsmopp

Brilliant!!

Ariadne Sat 15-Nov-14 19:12:27

I have my paternal grandmother's autograph book; during the war, she ran a Merchant Navy Shop near the Theatre Royal in Nottingham. (She was a former Royal Marine wife) During the war, celebrities etc gave their time freely to entertain the civilian population, and my Nanna made sure that they all signed her book, together with passing soldiers, sailors and airman from all over the world. (My other Nanna referred to it disparagingly
as "that ship shop" wherein lies another story...)

It makes fascinating reading. There is Arthur Askey and others like him, then all these acts and entertainers of whom one has never heard, (Lowe and Webster, Flo Ford, 1944 pantomime cast etc) and lovely messages from servicemen and women.

It is crammed with entries, and is a treasured possession.

No sign of anything from my youth, though...

sunseeker Sat 15-Nov-14 20:19:42

I had an autograph book as a teenager and spent many a night waiting at stage doors of theatres and concert venues to collect autographs of the stars. Unfortunately after I got married and was away on honeymoon my mother destroyed all letters and cards I had received and the autograph book!

Flowerofthewest Sat 15-Nov-14 20:49:18

Mrs Mopp my dad wrote that in my autograph book the day I left school. Thanks for the memory.

Flowerofthewest Sat 15-Nov-14 20:51:25

I had the Beatles autographs on a set of four photos which I sent to them to be signed when they were first famous. They disappeared when my ex and I divorced. Never saw them again. I (generously) allowed my best friend to have the 'tail' of George Harrison's signature.

numberplease Sat 15-Nov-14 21:06:49

My autograph book, and all of my friends` as well, had the last page taken by someone who wrote,

By hook or by crook,
I`ll be last in this book.

It seemed to be a standard thing to pick out the last page and write this little rhyme.

mrsmopp Sat 15-Nov-14 21:34:39

Numberplease, yes, that was standard wasn't it!

It's the little poems that intrigue me. Here's another:

Be good, sweet maid, and let who will, be naughty.
And if day by day, you better grow,
How good you'll be at forty.

This one written by my friend, aged eleven. How times change!

PRINTMISS Sun 16-Nov-14 08:01:21

I had an autograph book, and remember two entries very clearly, one my our Girl Guide leader - "Do the job that's nearest, though it's dull at whiles, helping when you see them, lame dogs over stiles" The other written by my dad, who very much lived by this "Don't look for the faults as you go through life, and even if you find them, it's wise and kind to be sometimes blind, and look for the virtues behind them". Funny how some things stick in the mind.

KatyK Sun 16-Nov-14 18:14:16

When I was getting married (I was 19, 1969) for some reason I took an autograph book into the office where I worked and people wrote messages in it, most of which were regarding marriage. The only one I can remember is

It starts when you sink in his arms
And ends with your arms in the sink.

How true smile

petallus Sun 16-Nov-14 19:12:11

My grandmother (nan) wrote in my autograph book 'don't marry for love/don't marry for riches/but marry a man/who can mend his own britches'.

I have my nan's autograph book with entries going from about 1915 when she would have been 20.

I like

'Forget me not
But if it proves a task forget me'

mrsmopp Sun 16-Nov-14 19:24:16

KatyK

Another popular one for a girl about to get married was:

Take this advice from one who knows
And tie your nightie to your toes.....

KatyK Mon 17-Nov-14 09:53:06

Love that smile

Valbeasixties Tue 18-Nov-14 06:19:55

I treasure my little battered autograph book which is full of so many memories.

My dad's drawing of him taking my dog, Pip, 'walkies'.

My mum's beautiful writing and Robert Louis Stephenson quotation.

I was incredibly proud to have Leslie's Crowther's autograph - he opened a local fete - but horrified when I discovered that he had left his thumb print on another page by accident.

My friend Lynsey wrote: 'If all the boys lived over the sea, what a good swimmer Valerie would be,' which I was thought was very risque and very exciting!

soontobe Tue 18-Nov-14 19:09:46

hmm.

My first entry is the autograph of Jimmy Saville shock
My parents took me and my sister to see him on one of those charity walks that he did.
He was fine to us. Patted us on the head [we were about 10]

Obviously, my autograph book is now tainted.
[dont have that many autographs in there]

tiggypiro Wed 19-Nov-14 08:13:36

I have just found mine and as well as an autograph from Jack Warner (Dixon of Dock Green) there are the usual poems.
For example ...........

They walked down the lane together
The night was filled with stars
He put his arms around her
For her he lifted the bars
She neither smiled nor thanked him
Because she knew not how
For he was a simple farmers lad
And she was a Jersey cow

and..............

Mary had a little cow
She milked it with a spanner
Out came little tins of milk
And big ones for a tanner

and...................

Little birdie flying high
Dropped a message from the sky
Angry farmer wiped his eye
Thanking God that cows can't fly

Easy to tell we were country kids !

mrsmopp Wed 19-Nov-14 09:59:19

There was a farm in Huddersfield
That had a cow that wouldn't yield
The reason why she wouldn't yield?
She didn't like her udders feeled.

KatyK Wed 19-Nov-14 13:10:50

Flower - I had the Beatles autographs too plus over 1000 pictures of them, concert ticket stubs, loads of copies of Beatles monthly, lots of Beatles memorabelia, programmes from their concerts, loads of stuff. I can remember at some point in my life thinking 'I'm a bit old for this now' and dumping the lot in the bin !!!!! Aaaargh . I wonder if anyone found them. I was so 'in love' with George, I couldn't eat my tea on the day he married. grin

PRINTMISS Wed 19-Nov-14 15:33:24

Valbeasixties We have a photograph of Leslie Crowther, with our son, such a lovely man and during his early years gave a great deal of time to opening Fetes and Fairs. Good to remember him in those ways.

Valbeasixties Wed 19-Nov-14 16:36:12

Oh, that's lovely, PRINTMISS! Yes, he always came across as a positive and friendly person. I was a keen Crackerjack fan at the time!

shysal Thu 20-Nov-14 08:28:27

My autograph book only had signatures from a few famous people, most notably The Shadows, whom my friend and I met at the stage door of the New Theatre in Oxford. They chatted and invited us to join them for an afternoon at the cinema, where we were joined by Frank Ifield. All perfectly innocent and thrilling for us!

My favourite rhyme was:
The thunder roared, the lightning flashed, and all the world was shaken.
The little pig curled up his tail and ran to save his bacon.

rubysong Thu 20-Nov-14 10:57:50

I love you so much,
I love you so mighty,
I wish your pyjamas were next to my nightie,
Don't be mistaken, don't be misled,
I mean on the washing line, not on the bed!