Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Can I get information without paying?

(33 Posts)
KatyK Wed 15-Apr-15 17:49:51

Does anyone know if there are any sites where I can find details of marriages and births in my area (Birmingham) from the 1940s. A very large skeleton has just jumped out of our family cupboard shock I am trying to find out a few more details but I don't want to pay. Thank you.

pompa Thu 16-Apr-15 12:12:13

NM, Yes quite correct, my mistake. Those in the range Pheonix wants should be there somewhere.

ninathenana Thu 16-Apr-15 13:37:48

Elegran mum's name doesn't have a variant. She was born in Somerset which I entered but unfortunately I don't know my nan's maiden name.
Thanks for the suggestions though.smile

Elegran Thu 16-Apr-15 14:06:05

Do you have her marriage certificate, nina ? Her age, maiden name and her father's name will be on it, you could trace her from that. If you have your fathers Christian name and know approximately when they married, you could find the marriage through that. In fact, if you have even your own birth certificate, it will have her maiden name on it. You need to do some lateral thinking!

mrsmopp Thu 16-Apr-15 17:26:59

Many local libraries have free access to Ancestry and Find my past sites on their computers, do try that. No need to pay for info. Good luck and I hope your search is successful.
Are there no family relatives you could ask if they know anything?
Maybe "thats what you think" was just a thoughtless comment with no truth in it? Or you could ask her what she actually meant by the remark. She may retract it.

KatyK Thu 16-Apr-15 18:21:47

Thanks for the advice all. I have just been on the Genes Reunited site and found what I was looking for free of charge. Excellent site. Well no one mentioned payment or card details anyway!

Nelliemoser Thu 16-Apr-15 19:32:03

Names can be very confusing. I was led on a complete goose chase by one reference I was looking at. My Father's foster mother was called Mrs Alice D.
The census indicated the village where she was born and the marriage cert gave her fathers name and his job. However on the census she was listed as Mary Martha and had a sister called Martha. When I caught up with a later census she was in service and known as Alice but the place of birth was as previously. Which made me convinced it was her but not fully proved. I eventually went for her death certificate and lo and behold death of "Mary Martha D" known as Alice.

It's worth persisting.

rosesarered Thu 16-Apr-15 19:38:18

I don't want to know anything, it may not be good news.I have two friends who spend their whole lives being obsessed with ferreting out details of their ancestors, one was pleased, the other wasn't.