Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Locking children in their bedrooms

(113 Posts)
Humbertbear Sun 11-Mar-12 10:15:00

My grand- daughter aged 6 has been moved into a beautiful new bedroom. The trouble is its in the loft while mummy and daddy and her 2 siblings sleep on the floor below. She is very insecure up there and has started coming down in the middle of the night. Her parents paid a 'sleep expert' for advice and as a result they are locking her in her room at night. They are adamant that this is the right course of action but also anxious no one knows what they are doing as they are uncomfortable about it. We only found out because our grand- daughter told us. I am very upset about this - they are very caring and over - protective and we usually laugh about their ideas but this seems to have gone too far. Worrying about this has made me I'll. What we can do?

Jacey Sun 11-Mar-12 16:44:23

Did wonder why no one seems to have ascertained what is making the child insecure ...assumption was that on a different floorhmm...but could be something elseconfused...that the child themselves may not be overtly aware of?

But totally agree ...locking in is totally inapproriate ...seems more of a punishment than concern for her safetyhmm

nightowl Sun 11-Mar-12 17:37:12

If this is true, and not a wind up, the so called sleep expert should be reported to his or her employers, managers, regulating body, depending on which so called profession he or she belongs to. This is so dangerous that it beggars belief.

Anne58 Sun 11-Mar-12 19:48:57

Bagitha we seem to be sharing a "hmmmm".

Jacey Sun 11-Mar-12 20:10:12

yes phoenix ...I know what you mean.

Really pleased to see you back again ...hope things go well tomorrow for you ...a difficult dayflowers

bagitha Sun 11-Mar-12 20:19:37

phoenix and jacey, hmmmm indeed! wink

jeni Sun 11-Mar-12 20:22:14

No! I hear this regularly at tribunals with some mentally impaired children! I believe it!

greenmossgiel Sun 11-Mar-12 20:26:47

Perhaps the reason Humbertbear hasn't commented on our replies is because of how we've replied? If she's very concerned, it may have shaken her to have seen that we are also concerned about the little girl? Just a thought?

bagitha Sun 11-Mar-12 20:38:10

Your comment does put a new light on it, jeni — a rather shocking one!

jeni Sun 11-Mar-12 20:52:13

I'm afraid so. But there are some children that unless they are locked in the parents have to be awake all night to prevent them harming themselves or others. It is rare but it does happen. The parents usually look exhausted!
It is harrowing tales like this that I hear regularly at tribunals!
May account for my love of light relief on gn!

NanaChuckles Sun 11-Mar-12 20:54:02

I agree with everyone especially Hankipanki. The fact that the parents do not want anyone to know what they are doing confirms that they know it is wrong. I hope they sort this out quick and that the little girls school doesn't find out what happens to her at night. The school would be forced to act on such information.

If the little girl is so scared of new bedroom, why not let her siblings sleep in there with her for a little while to reassure her that it is a fun and happy place to be?

Annobel Sun 11-Mar-12 21:40:53

I wonder if the child had a hand in designing, decorating and choosing the furniture for the bedroom. If she felt some ownership and pride in it, she might be happier to sleep there. Also, I hope she has a night light of some kind.

bagitha Mon 12-Mar-12 06:21:43

What jeni says, suggests to me that it was the parents who needed sleep "therapy", not the little girl. Maybe they weren't getting any sleep because of the little girl's problems. If they have two other children, they would need their sleep.

It would help if the OP would come back and explain further. I find it hard to believe parents would lock a child in a bedroom for trivial reasons.

absentgrana Mon 12-Mar-12 09:09:09

bags The mum I knew who used to lock her child in at night simply did it so she and her husband wouldn't be disturbed by the child wanting a glass of water, having a bad dream, etc. Trivial and wrong, I thought then and think now.

bagitha Mon 12-Mar-12 09:41:48

Completely agree, absent, but I don't get the impression from the OP that that's the problem here. I sincerely hope not anyway. We don't know enough to make a judgment in this case, though the idea of locking a child in a room alone does ring alarm bells whatever the reason.

Mishap Mon 12-Mar-12 10:38:33

It is not the fact that someone would lock a child in their bedroom that defies belief (I was a SW for 25 years), but the idea that there are so-called experts out there whom parents are paying for this sort of advice!

artygran Mon 12-Mar-12 11:28:02

How does it help sleep deprived parents to have a child screaming in panic behind a locked door, wondering if said parents are still there and why they have locked her in? Sorry, but in my book it doesn't do to debate the whys and wherefores of the supposed problem; it is wrong on every level.

absentgrana Mon 12-Mar-12 11:34:25

artygran I wasn't debating the whys and wherefores – I was just pointing out that I have first-hand experience that this does happen and for very trivial reasons so the OP may well have been genuine and not a wind-up (as has been suggested).

greenmossgiel Mon 12-Mar-12 11:40:17

That's what I meant when I commented that my parents used to lock me in my room at night, too. It was a trivial reason - nothing to do with anything sinister - they simply didn't want me to fall downstairs. As is very likely the case with the parents of this little girl. Perhaps our reactions (well-intentioned) have startled Humbertbear a bit?
If this is the case, Humbert, just come back on and tell us what you think? smile

bagitha Mon 12-Mar-12 12:41:23

arty, there has been no suggestion by the OP that the child is distressed ("screaming in panic" were your words). The OP just said her granddaughter "told her about it".

green, I wouldn't call trying to prevent you falling downstairs a 'trivial' reason. In addition, I don't think stair gates were very common when we were small.

We have always left bedroom doors open. I don't know how common that is. In the house where I grew up all the door handles are out of reach to small children so even just closing the door would 'lock' them in. If 'containment' — as in putting a baby in a cot for safety, or a playpen, or fastening it into a high chair — is all that is intended, then it is not intrinsically wrong. We do not know all the reasons why the child's door is locked, nor even if it actually is being locked, just that the child has reported to her grandma that she is shut in by, in gran's words, "caring" and "protective" parents.

The longer the OP leaves before she re-posts, the more I feel this was a wind-up.

greenmossgiel Mon 12-Mar-12 13:01:22

No - not trivial at all, bagitha - and I know I was checked regularly! smile

harrigran Mon 12-Mar-12 17:48:09

I have never even shut my bedroom door when there is a child in the house. The thought that a frightened or ill child was not able to reach an adult is unthinkable. I think the powers that be would take a dim view of locking a door from the outside for whatever reason.

Greatnan Mon 12-Mar-12 18:38:23

Not everybody can log in every day so I am keeping an open mind about the OP. Humbert is the man in 'Lolita'.

jeni Mon 12-Mar-12 18:45:12

I NEVER shut my bedroom door! I have mild problem in hotels! I must have slight claustrophobia! I don't like small rooms either , which is why I dread the thought of a care home as I get more disabledsad

Anne58 Mon 12-Mar-12 18:49:05

Bagitha I'm with you. A bit of response from the poster wouldn't go amiss either.

JessM Mon 12-Mar-12 18:49:39

Jeni grin thought of you leaving your hotel room ajar.
I once got spooked when i booked into a hotel room that was part of a 2 room arrangement with adjoining door, that did not appear to be lockable. OMG no! Even if there was no-one in the other room...