Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

How much advice should you give to your daughter/son regarding babies and parenting?

(55 Posts)
Speldnan Fri 06-Apr-12 17:23:59

I hace two grandchildren-one in New Zealand who I never see so advice isn't relevant-and a new grandson born in December last year.
I see my daughter and the baby at least once a week and she is always asking my advice about feeding, sleeping etc. She doesn't always like my answers though and I find it a minefield trying to be tactful and not go against my daughter's ideas of parenting.
Many of the things she does are completely different from the way I managed my babies and different again from the way my own mother brought up my brother and I. I am more flexible and easy going than my own mother who is always criticising my daughter to me about the way she fusses over the baby and picks him up at the slightest murmur.
I try always to be tactful in the way I suggest things because I am very afraid of my daughter getting annoyed with me and not wanting me to be such a big part of my grandson's life. I can see it getting harder as he grow up and discipline becomes an issue.
Does anyone have any advice/experience of how to deal with this issue? I really want to do the right thing by my grandson and his parents.

HildaW Tue 28-Aug-12 20:03:16

Hand on heart I have only ever offerred up my views on any given subject if it has been introduced by my Daughter. I usually just say what I did with them when they were a similar age. I dont think I claimed I was ever absolutely right about anything because its all about perception. Recently my daughter reminded me that she had started school wearing red sandals instead of brown or balck ones (the school had a uniform policy but nothing specific about shoes at that time). I can remember thinking at the time that she was so lucky to have red sandals because I had always wanted some at that age (5). Her memories had been of feeling embarrassed and wanting brown ones like the other children. I had thought I was being a fun Mum but she had seen it in quite a different light. I've never been asked outright about anything - just used as a sort of sounding board for decisions already made. I dont think I've ever said 'I think you should........etc etc'. Mind you I honestly think my daughter are doing a brilliant job. I might have the odd reservation about a couple of things but they are only minor and really not my business.

gracesmum Tue 28-Aug-12 20:14:09

Somewhere betweeen none and none, in my experience. My favoured way is to listen to what she wants to do and say what a good idea that is.

annodomini Tue 28-Aug-12 20:15:43

I looked to see what I said first time round on this thread and decided I was right! wink Never give unasked for advice unless there's a threat to the child's well-being.

GrannyFirstLight Thu 30-Aug-12 18:16:58

Speldnan,
I raised my babies the way your daughter is doing with her baby (much to the chagrin of my own mother!) I think it is a quite natural and normal way to behave...except that in a more "natural" parenting environment, there would be many more hands to help!
Independence and "space" will come in it's own sweet time.
It's great that you are there when they need you.
My guys grew up to be considerate, warm and mellow human beings, and they both picked wives to match their personalities. One set are parents now and I am delighted, proud and comforted by how well they are doing. My d-i-l is much more obsessive than my son about "proper" parenting, but that is mostly about being uber-organic and no-sweets, that sort of thing. I do wish she'd relax a bit more...but she has a 2 year old and a 2 month old and the whole hormone thing going on...so who am I to say! I just wish I was allowed to give my granddaughter some ice cream once in awhile!
Is is okay for grandparents to "cheat" and give the kids sweets once in awhile? grin They live in California and I only see them a few times a year.
I envy you - being able to see your grandchild every week!
Enjoy!