Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

First time Grandma

(54 Posts)
tracya23 Sun 18-Nov-12 08:15:23

Morning all, Wow I'm going to be a Nanny any day now, my first Grand baby is due tomorrow, Monday 19th November, to say I'm excited is an understatement,
We don't know baby's sex, it's going to be a surprise.
My son is going to be a Daddy, unfortunately it hasn't been plain sailing though, my son is 26 now, only met the mother to be of his baby in January and by March, she was pregnant, well after the initial shock, the excitement kicked in, My son and mom to be split up by June, it was quite a bad split, but my son has always said he will always be there for baby, anyway it got to the stage where they couldn't even communicate with each other, we had a mediation meeting and a parenting plan was drawn up, my son's expectations were a little too high to begin with, him thinking he could have baby weekends from more or less after birth, through mediation when baby reaches 6 months, he will then be able to have alternate weekends,
Thank fully they have now started talking more, as baby is due tomorrow, and during his 2 week paternity leave he will be spending as much time as possible with baby, bless him, he is all prepared for baby, bought all his own equipment for his house, moses basket, cot, bath, etc
I have always maintained my contact with mom to be and tried not to get involved with there relationship,
Well I'm just hoping everything goes well and I can spend loads of time with my very first Grand baby,
I have 5 children of my own, My son being the eldest at 26, then 4 girls, 23, 17, 8 and the youngest being 6, we are all mega excited
xxx

Nanadog Sun 18-Nov-12 08:23:59

Exciting times head tracy. Even if your son's relationship with mum-to-be is rocky, do try to build a good relationship with her yourself. You'll have lots of good wishes and advice from other GNetters I'm sure.

Nonu Sun 18-Nov-12 08:24:18

Welcome Tracy , how exciting for you !

I am a grandma to 2 pink ones and two blue ones , all under 7 .

WONDERFUL smile

tracya23 Sun 18-Nov-12 08:37:03

Thank you, feels like I'm an expectant mom all over again, lol, I take the phone to bed every night now and my clothes are ready for the hospital as soon as we get that call, that labour has started
xxxxx

Nonu Sun 18-Nov-12 08:38:02

Ahhh ! Bless

Greatnan Sun 18-Nov-12 09:03:46

Welcome, and very well done for maintaining a good relationship with the mother. Do you live close to her? Even if she has a good rapport with her own mother, I am sure she will welcome another grandmother for her baby.

annodomini Sun 18-Nov-12 09:36:45

Good luck tracya. It's a great feeling when you become a grandmother for the first time. I had to leave my credit card at home and avoid passing Mothercare. I had the experience of my son splitting from GD's mother, though some time after the birth. When he went abroad to work, I made every effort to support his ex partner and my GD as well as her older half brother. And it has worked. She is now coming up to 21, a student in Manchester, and we have lunch together every few weeks. We are good friends and I am immensely proud of her. Four other GC later, she is still very special, but then they all are! Do keep us informed, and enjoy your first GC. flowers

tracya23 Tue 20-Nov-12 08:05:19

Baby was due yesterday, no signs yet,
very impatient Nanny in waiting

london Tue 20-Nov-12 12:06:55

tracya23 my son and partner split up when his 2 where 4 and 2 .i alwasy kept friends whith there mam who lived very near .the boys are 23 and 21 now and have always came 2 me when ever they liked .now one has a baby of his own and still comes and sees his nana x

Varya Thu 22-Nov-12 20:30:52

My new baby GD is called Sofia Rose. Her name was revealed today and she is just one week old. 7lb 8oz at birth and doing well now she out of ICU and SCU.
No more wires and machines. Very calm and sweet.

shysal Thu 22-Nov-12 20:36:02

Congratulations Varya! What a relief for you. flowers

jeni Thu 22-Nov-12 20:36:29

How lovely! Enjoy!

Nelliemoser Thu 22-Nov-12 20:44:51

I was there 8 weeks ago. Its very exciting. Holding your first grandchild is amazing. All the hormones come rushing back. Get your "Grannys boasting book" ready for your photos.

glassortwo Thu 22-Nov-12 20:47:54

varya congratulations on your new GD love the name, you will all be relived to have her out of ICU/SCU wine sunshine

merlotgran Thu 22-Nov-12 20:53:49

Congratulations Varya Happy times ahead. wine

tracya23 Hope you are not kept waiting too long. They don't half take their time when you're bursting with excitement.

yogagran Thu 22-Nov-12 21:11:01

Congratulations Varya - love the names!

Still waiting to hear news from Tracy - nothing yet.....?

Varya Thu 22-Nov-12 21:22:33

Thanks everyone for your kind messages its such a delight to have a DGD at last. XX

annodomini Thu 22-Nov-12 21:58:45

Varya flowers and congratulations on little Sophia Rose - what a pretty name.

Sook Thu 22-Nov-12 22:11:22

Congratulations Varya It's a wonderful feeling. I hope she brings you and her parents lots of love and happiness.

grannyactivist Fri 23-Nov-12 13:06:04

Welcome to Sofia Rose Varya, it's such a relief when they're out of the SCU isn't it? flowers My daughter's last baby was premature and she's now pregnant again; we're on tenterhooks in case this one is too.
Tracya23 - looking forward to hearing from you when your grandchild puts in an appearance, I'm sure it won't be too long now. smile

glammanana Fri 23-Nov-12 14:34:15

Varya congradulations on your new addition so glad she is well and out of SCU she will come on leaps and bounds now just you watch,get ready for feeling you didn't know existed they are a delight.
Tracya23maybe we will hear from you soon I bet you are bursting with excitement.My DS1 has a good relationship with his x partner and my DGD is 14yrs old now and a very special part of our lives I see her mum on a regular basis and there are no problems,all worked out well in the end.flowers

Varya Fri 23-Nov-12 17:38:55

Thanks again for all the kind messages. Little Sofia Rose is now doing well. Good luck to Tracey 23 for her grandchild's safe arrival.

tracya23 Sun 25-Nov-12 08:08:21

Thank you all for your kind words,
My gorgeous Grand daughter has arrived,
Born Saturday 24th November 2012
at 3.09am
weighing 7LB 11oz
Mommy and Daddy have 2 names in mind Tailia or Ivy,

Butty Sun 25-Nov-12 08:22:39

tracya23Congratulations! flowers + sunshine. Both names sound lovely.

Just wondering if there's an American connection, as I notice you've used Mommy not Mummy. I only ask because my grandchildren live in the States.

Nanadog Sun 25-Nov-12 08:28:45

Congratulations tracy smile
Have you seen baby yet?