Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

First time Grandma

(55 Posts)
tracya23 Sun 18-Nov-12 08:15:23

Morning all, Wow I'm going to be a Nanny any day now, my first Grand baby is due tomorrow, Monday 19th November, to say I'm excited is an understatement,
We don't know baby's sex, it's going to be a surprise.
My son is going to be a Daddy, unfortunately it hasn't been plain sailing though, my son is 26 now, only met the mother to be of his baby in January and by March, she was pregnant, well after the initial shock, the excitement kicked in, My son and mom to be split up by June, it was quite a bad split, but my son has always said he will always be there for baby, anyway it got to the stage where they couldn't even communicate with each other, we had a mediation meeting and a parenting plan was drawn up, my son's expectations were a little too high to begin with, him thinking he could have baby weekends from more or less after birth, through mediation when baby reaches 6 months, he will then be able to have alternate weekends,
Thank fully they have now started talking more, as baby is due tomorrow, and during his 2 week paternity leave he will be spending as much time as possible with baby, bless him, he is all prepared for baby, bought all his own equipment for his house, moses basket, cot, bath, etc
I have always maintained my contact with mom to be and tried not to get involved with there relationship,
Well I'm just hoping everything goes well and I can spend loads of time with my very first Grand baby,
I have 5 children of my own, My son being the eldest at 26, then 4 girls, 23, 17, 8 and the youngest being 6, we are all mega excited
xxx

tracya23 Fri 30-Nov-12 19:22:22

Gosh can't believe my gorgeous Granddaughter Talia will be a week old tomorrow, this time last week both my son and I were waiting at the hospital 16 hours for her arrival,

Going back to my original post about my son and Talia's mommy, I'd just like every one to know, they are getting on so well together, my son is there every day, from dawn to dusk, and has even been allowed to stay over a couple of times.

It's so lovely to see Carl (daddy) and Jodie (mommy) getting on so well, I know it's early days, but I know they both have Talia's best interest at heart

xxxxxxxx

janeainsworth Fri 30-Nov-12 22:37:23

Congratulations tracya23, Talia is a really beautiful baby and how wonderful that your son and her mommy are getting on well.
sunshine

dorsetpennt Sat 01-Dec-12 10:00:50

I hope everything goes well and you have the contact with your g/child as often as possible. As the parents aren't together this is going to be a bit tricky as your relationship with the mother will be a bit different to the norm There is no reason why it can't work though.
My advice as a granny with a one year old and a three year old? Offer to help but don't be offended if it's refused. It just means she wants to get on with it. Don't say 'in my day we did so and so' I nearly drove my DIL mad saying that. Things are done differently these days, it may seem at odds with our child rearing but you have to accept it. I tried to take a leaf out of my MIL's book, she used to say 'I always found such and such helpful' So it was advice but not directly. When I visit I work in the background, washing, tidying up etc. Let the mother care for the baby but you cuddle and help when asked. My DS and DIL know that I will drop everything and help if they need it, but they are bringing up the nicest children so they know what they are doing.
Good Luck and enjoy it, it's the best.

Varya Sat 15-Dec-12 17:10:08

What a lovely pic of Talia - that's wonderful. Hope all are doing well and Happy Christmas to you. Varya xX