Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

New grandchild in 2013?

(329 Posts)
grannyactivist Tue 01-Jan-13 23:53:21

I know there are a few of us in happy anticipation of a new grandchild this year. My daughter's baby is due in February and she's chosen NOT to know the gender; although names for either have been chosen and I do like them both very much. I am very excited at the prospect of being present at the birth, as I was with daughter's first baby - and happily my lovely son in law is glad to share the experience.
Who else is an expectant gran/grandfather?

NannaAnna Tue 01-Jan-13 23:58:40

My grand-baby no. 2 is also due in February grannyactivist (due date 21/02)
My daughter and SIL have also decided not to find out the gender in advance. They knew in advance with no.1. My daughter is hoping for a home birth, so fingers crossed that all will go smoothly and it is possible.

grannyactivist Wed 02-Jan-13 00:11:30

NannaAnna I am glad not to know what the new baby is going to be, are you? My daughter wants the full range of pain relief so a home birth was never going to be an option for her. When her son was born her husband and I were exhausted (28 hour labour) but she'd had diamorphine followed by an epidural and was in a better state than we were. grin

kittylester Wed 02-Jan-13 07:31:49

DD3 is expecting her second baby at the end of March. Her first will be one on the 18th January and is a very lively, cheeky boy so she is hoping for a peaceful daughter this time!! They have also chosen not to know the gender and have chosen names for a boy but are still wavering about girls' names. The two they like have family connections so DH and I will be pleased whichever. She had three miscarriages before Bertie was born but things seem to be going really well this time.

DD2 is also trying to conceive but has PCOS. They conceived last time without really trying but are not going so well this time sad

Bags Wed 02-Jan-13 07:45:17

My second GC is due in early Feb. Gender not known. Names decided but they're not letting on smile.

whenim64 Wed 02-Jan-13 08:11:07

My little grandon is due on 28th January, if he doesn't arrive before. My son and partner have had a gender scan, and then a 4D scan, which they invited me to watch with them. It was magical! He'll be born by c-section for medical reasons. Can't wait to meet him now. smile

Pollyann Wed 02-Jan-13 08:15:47

My first grandbaby is due on February 10th. It is hoped to be a boy. I do not mind I will love it anyway, but the my SiL family is very old fashioned smile

whenim64 Wed 02-Jan-13 08:16:13

kitty my great-niece has PCOS and just had a baby boy a couple of months ago, having been told she would need IVF in the future. Both my daughters have it and their IVF worked first time - twin boys and twin girls for us, as a result. Isn't science wonderful? smile

Sook Wed 02-Jan-13 08:26:31

My fourth grandchild is due on May 24th. DIL had complications with her first pregnancy and DGS arrived six weeks early via C section. Although he was a healthy 6lb 4oz a few problems meant that he spent two weeks in SCUBU. He is now a lively fifteen month old.

They have chosen to know the gender so will find out later this month. I am so glad it was not an option when I was carrying my sons.

How lovely to be present at the birth gasmile

Grannylin Wed 02-Jan-13 09:20:10

DS2 and DiLs second baby due January 19 but GS1 was 2 weeks overdue.We have a family sweepstake going with a bottle of champers for the correct birthdate this time!

kittylester Wed 02-Jan-13 11:25:51

when DD2 went to the GP and registered the fact that they were starting to try so there would be no hanging around if they were unsuccessful. The GP was brilliant and told her to come back in a year and they would start treatment straight away.

DD1 found it very difficult to conceive and had lots of tests which found there was nothing wrong with either of them. Being a thorough sort of person she did loads of research, took her temperature, changed their diets, started acupuncture - anything and everything! She eventually became pregnant.

At the same time, both she and her husband changed jobs and they moved house, DD claims it was her methods that worked but I'm fairly sure it was the new house, new baby! grin

whenim64 Wed 02-Jan-13 11:57:22

Whatever does the trick kitty, it's lovely that their dreams of having a family come to fruition. One of my daughters was advised by the fertility consultant that acupuncture during fertility treatment was having some good effect, probably in helping with the stress of the process. She took the advice and says it was helpful in making her more relaxed.

kittylester Wed 02-Jan-13 12:15:21

Exactly, when and she went on to have another just 18 months later. smile

Unfortunately, she had a miscarriage last summer and has since decided to count her blessings, concentrate on her career and stop at two and sent her DH off for the snip. grin

kazgran Thu 03-Jan-13 16:25:09

Just joined today and my grandchild (don't know whether it will be a boy or girl yet) is due on the 21st February. I am so excited, but a little sad that my son and his partner live in London whilst I live in the Midlands! Any advice on relatively distant grandchildren? I really want to be part of the child's life!

soop Thu 03-Jan-13 16:48:42

kazgran Welcome. You have joined us at the beginning of a new year in which a new member of the family will arrive. Lovely! Our youngest grandson, who will be three in April, lives 600+ miles away. We're on the remote west coast of Scotland. He lives in London - a twelve hour journey from door to door. The other adult grandchildren live in the Midlands. I'm certain that you will begin to enjoy your new role from the moment baby arrives. The distance between you is not that great. I have to settle for about four visits in a year. Not nearly enough [from my point of view]. We send postcards to the Wee Man and I write short stories for him. Whenever we meet with all the family members, I'm at my happiest. Even though our gatherings are not as frequent as I would like, we are never strangers. The wee man always dashes into our arms and all is well with the world. It's a matter of compromise. You are in for a real treat. I wish you well. flowers

Nonu Thu 03-Jan-13 17:01:10

Welcome Kazgran , enjoy your time here . smile

nanamacatj Thu 03-Jan-13 18:42:23

Grandchild number 6 due 16th June. A lovely christmas surprisegrin

glitabo Thu 03-Jan-13 19:41:10

Same here, grandchild number 8 due on 7th June grin

Nelliemoser Thu 03-Jan-13 20:41:38

How far away Kazgran? I am about 50 miles from my one and only GS who is 3months. Its not so much the distance at as how complicated the journey might be. Get Skype set up on your Computer and your sons computer so you can see the baby by video link. That helps a lot. I get to see mine about every two weeks.

grannyactivist Fri 04-Jan-13 00:46:09

Hello Kazgran and welcome; there's going to be a real flurry of activity from January with all the announcements generated by the new grandchildren. I am very excited on my daughter's behalf as much as my own: as her first-born was premature and then she was widowed when baby was only 17 weeks old she never really got to savour his babyhood. With the new baby she will be able to just enjoy the experience of being a mummy to a newborn - 's lovely! Happy grin!

glammanana Fri 04-Jan-13 13:46:57

Such a lot of good news due during the next year for everyone and wishing you first time nanna's all the cuddles you can manage it is a magical time indeed,I was very lucky to be at all the births of my DDs children and it is a thing that I will never forget such a special special moment when new life arrives,my very best friend was DDs midwife so I was trusted to help with the actual delivery of DGD which made it that extra special as she is the only pink one out of six DGCs to DD.
Welcome Kazgran you will have loads of information here from nanna's if and when you need it.
Not long to go now GA how exciting for you,we could do with another little person in the family but I'm not holding out any hopes just yet,I do wish my boys would realise how broody their mum can get sometimes.grin

GillieB Fri 04-Jan-13 13:51:24

My third GC is due on 20th May - so there will be about two years four months between it and my oldest GS. My DD and her DH are thinking of moving so are hoping to get that sorted soon. I will have had one GC a year for three years running, and am almost sure that there will be another one on the way next year as DS and his wife probably won't leave a lot of time before they try for No. 2.

I am extremely fortunate, Kazgran, that my DC live within fifteen minutes of our home - but I am sure you will find ways of keeping in touch. My DSis lives about two hours away from her GC and they have set up Skype.

kittylester Fri 04-Jan-13 14:01:45

Kazgran great news. flowers Don't worry, so long as you are welcoming and don't interfere too much, things will work out just fine.

We have GC in the same village, next village, 15 miles away and 80 miles away. The local ones do the popping in thing, which can be a pain but I don't complain as lots of people on here would love that! The ones 15 miles away I look after one day a week and sometimes they stay here. The one in London come every 6 weeks or so for the weekend and we skype in between. Part of the reason they come home is because DD2's brothers and sisters are around and we get the benefit!!

We have made our spare bedrooms multi purpose so the GCs come and have their own room but when 'grownups' come the decor is not too babyish. we have a travel cot, high chair and lots of toys. DH remarked that we seem to have more baby stuff around now than when ours were young. grin

tanith Fri 04-Jan-13 21:38:15

Just found out tonight that I can join this thread as my son and girlfriend handed me the 12wk scan photos of their first and our 8th grandchild due on the 28th June such a wonderful surprise , I had no clue. They came to the UK to spend Christmas and the New Year and we now know to tell this exciting news...
Such a pity they will be going home to Gib in the morning which is where they live and work. I guess I'll be visiting in the Summer but this is going to be an at a distance Grandchild for me so very different from the rest of them who all live closeby and whom I see at least weekly if not more often.. thank goodness for the internet I say..

annodomini Fri 04-Jan-13 22:08:32

Lovely news, tanith. You are a very practised grandma, aren't you. You will be able to reach your GC in Gib just about as quickly as I can get to Berkshire! Distance is no object nowadays.