Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

You never stop worrying..........

(29 Posts)
Greatnan Thu 11-Apr-13 09:22:24

First about your children, then about your grandchildren - now I am very worried about my little great-grand-daughter who is nearly three. She has just come out of hospital after three days being re-hydrated and monitored for HSP after an acute stomach bug. Her hands and feet had black bruises and of course my poor grand-daughter-in-law thought of meningitis. She has to be seen by her own doctor once a week to check her kidneys. I googled HSP and it usually clears up after a time.
Her parents spent a lot of time at the hospital, but fortunately another grand-daughter came down to Kent from Hull, where she is at university, and looked after her five-year old niece. Big families can be very useful in time of crisis.
My daughter, her grand-mother, is in close touch by phone and Facebook from New Zealand.

Greatnan Thu 11-Apr-13 22:43:38

I am not a natural worrier, only when there is something to worry about. I accept that there is nothing I can do to help one of my daughters, as she does not want to be free of her addiction to codeine. I suppose it would be nearer the mark to say I am concerned about her and her children, as both her sons seem unable to get a job.
I don't worry at all about her sister, who is competent, happy, comfortable and married to a lovely man. However, she worries about me, which is why she wants me to emigrate, so she can 'keep an eye' on me. I don't feel I need it, but I suppose the day might come when I am not quite as able to walk for hours up steep mountain paths. And I do appreciate her loving concern for me.

BlueSky Thu 11-Apr-13 23:15:43

I find it fascinating Greatnan that you have great grand children and your own daughter is a grandmother! How lovely but of course as you say the worry multiplies x 3. Still I'm looking forward to be a Greatgranny!

Greatnan Thu 11-Apr-13 23:35:55

Both my daughters are grandmothers, Bluesky. I find it fascinating too! One of them has six children and the other has four and both have two little grand-daughters. I am 72 and my oldest great-gd is nearly six, so if she starts as young as her mother I could be a great-great-grandmother in about 14 years!
My sister was a grandmother at 38 and a great grandmother at 60. That makes me a great great aunt. We are a very fertile bunch!