Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Almost a Grandma but not really

(76 Posts)
Joan Sun 18-May-14 13:11:58

Although I'm pushing 70 and have two sons and two daughters-in-law, no grandkids are on the horizon. But for the last week or two I seem to have been adopted by the 5 year old lass next door. As soon as she sees me come into the garden, she's at the back gate asking to come in. Beth, our Golden Retriever leaps about all excitedly as little Harmony comes through the gate. Then the lass has to help me with everything - feeding the chickens, collecting the eggs, watering the plants, collecting seeds, planting things, even cleaning up the dog poo. Lots of questions follow: lots of how and why. I've had to explain about plant germination, the use of manure, how to make liquid manure with chicken poo, how to make bug killer with chillies, garlic and wormwood. Now she wants to know why the empty swing-type compost bin keeps tumbling long after you've let go, and other science questions nearly 60 years after I failed first form physics and chemistry!! Today she wanted to draw a monster so I gave her paper and felt tip pens.

I never realised how easy and fun it is to be even a pretend grandma!!

Marmight Sun 18-May-14 13:14:34

That's wonderful Joan. How lovely for you both - and practice for when the real gc's come along!

annsixty Sun 18-May-14 13:16:56

You are very lucky Joan you will have all the pleasure of her company and none of the angst associated with some family.Enjoy her and I imagine her parents are thrilled.

MiniMouse Sun 18-May-14 15:42:36

What fun, Joan grin Make the most of it and enjoy yourselves! sunshine

kittylester Sun 18-May-14 18:10:28

Lovely, Joan, sounds as though you've made a real friend . sunshine

Charleygirl Sun 18-May-14 18:18:01

Joan, she will certinly keep your brain active! Next thing you will be babysitting.

rosequartz Sun 18-May-14 19:57:39

Have fun, Joan, and it's not too far to send her home again when you have had enough!

grin

Deedaa Sun 18-May-14 21:35:38

That's lovely Joan so few children get to learn any of this stuff nowadays. It's a lovely experience for both of you smile

Mishap Sun 18-May-14 22:15:06

That sounds truly splendid - what a very lucky little neighbour.

glassortwo Sun 18-May-14 22:25:39

Enjoy your little neighbour joan smile

Joan Thu 22-May-14 01:02:06

Catastrophe Tuesday afternoon. I went out to exercise the dog, collect the eggs and put the bins out. I noticed both cars were out next door, and sure enough, Harmony didn't turn up. I did my jobs and went in to make a cuppa and start dinner. Then I heard wailing next door. The little lass often has a whinge at her big sisters so I thought nothing of it.

Next day her mum talked to me over the fence. They'd had to go and pick up one of her sisters and Harmony realised she couldn't come here so she put on an act. When they got home she saw me vanishing into the back door and hence the wailing. I'll tell her mum next time she has to go on a quick errand she can leave Harmony here, I think.

I have to keep thinking of interesting things to do, which ensures I keep up to all my planting and manuring and seedling protecting etc. Still haven't planted my carrots - maybe today after school.

DebnCreme Thu 22-May-14 01:08:47

One of my happiest memories as a child was popping through the hedge to be with our neighbours. I realise now they took the place of the grandparents I didn't have. Keep up your good efforts Joan

PRINTMISS Thu 22-May-14 08:19:28

How lovely for you Joan, it is great to have a little girls company - my daughter was often next door at my neighbours, (they had no children of their own, just three very nice dogs) she seemed to have a much more interesting life than I did, and I always knew that she would make sure nothing bad happened to my daughter. It is good to share the joy of children.

bikergran Thu 22-May-14 09:11:29

that is lovely...I have often heard stories of neighbours children sort of adopting (unaficially of course) grandmas...they sort of bond with each other quite naturaly and become great friends for many yrs

rosequartz Thu 22-May-14 13:44:42

Also interesting, Joan, that you are planting seedlings, carrots, etc now - DD1 also says that they have to grow their veggies in the winter in NQ, but thought it would be too cold now where you are!

Must take DGD2 out now to inspect the garden with me.

Nelliemoser Thu 22-May-14 14:28:30

Joan you seem to have become a Mrs Cocoa Jones. grin

books.google.co.uk/books?id=VZABAQAAQBAJ&pg=PT43&lpg=PT43&dq=my+naughty+little+sister,

rosequartz Thu 22-May-14 19:29:26

We did not get out into the garden as we had a violent thunderstorm with hail - almost NQ proportions!

Mishap Thu 22-May-14 19:40:12

Oh - Mrs Cocoa Jones - I had forgotten her!

Nelliemoser Thu 22-May-14 20:15:49

Mishap I am so glad someone else knows who I mean. My DD loved those stories when her reception class teacher started reading them to the class. I can still enjoy them.

rosequartz Thu 22-May-14 20:26:49

I was going to buy it for DD1 recently. I thought she would enjoy it.

Joan Thu 22-May-14 22:31:35

rosequartz Yes, it is vegetable planting time here - our winter is very much like a Yorkshire summer, whereas our subtropical summer tends to burn seedlings. I can grow native plants in summer of course.

I tried the Mrs Cocoa Jones link and it said I wasn't allowed to read it. So I googled Cocoa Jones and she's a singer. Singing is something I've never been able to do!

My sons call me a hobbit though, when they come to visit and see me mucking about in the garden!

Joan Fri 23-May-14 09:38:56

Because of that afternoon of wailing, Harmony and I talked about the fact I'm not always going to be here, as sometimes I have to go out unexpectedly, and she shouldn't worry 'cos there's always another day. She told me that she's OK with that, as she always knows when I'm out in the garden: she looks to see if my black wellies are in their usual place - if they're not, she knows I'm in the garden wearing them! So I guess it is communication by wellie! I always wear them in the garden, winter and summer, for various reasons including snakes. Now the little lass always wears her own multi-coloured wellies too.

Today we planted onion seedlings and made a black net cover for my soon-to-be-planted carrot patch, and Harmony raked my future silver beet patch. Before we parted company at 5pm she asked me to say hello to Terry from her. Sometimes she sounds like a little old lady!

rosequartz Fri 23-May-14 09:55:34

Yes, wellies or at least trousers tucked into socks and gloves are the order of the day for me if I garden 'down under'. I once went without gloves and got bitten by a spider.

Dragonfly1 Fri 23-May-14 10:33:47

I wear full armour in the garden here in the West Midlands! Gloves, wellies, trousers tucked in, long sleeves, headscarf - hate spiders, you see! Makes it miserable on a hot day though! Enjoy your little comoanion's company Joan, she sounds delightful!

Joan Fri 23-May-14 10:44:18

Yes, she really is.
So grown up in some of the things she says. She loves to find patterns in things, and seems to see everything in a slightly different way.

By the way, where would any of us gardeners be without our wellies?