Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

special days cause so much trouble

(157 Posts)
etheltbags1 Thu 12-Mar-15 15:10:06

Mothers day is looming and in our family that brings trouble.
DD has been asked to go to her MIL and they are having a family party with lots of relatives, to celebrate mothers day. She wants to visit me with DGD, they want DGD too.so there will be bitching and falling out. Last year dd visited me first and on the way back called at the in laws and they got a lecture about visiting them last.
It is the same with xmas, so last year DD said she would not go to anyones house and just stay at home. She allowed me to visit in the morning to see DGD open some presents and she kept some to open later when MIL called.
She tries to keep us exactly the same but her MIL is so bitchy, DD is becoming sick of special days.
We have Easter looming and with 4 days of celebration her MIL will be counting the hours I see DGd and wanting more than me. It is a competition.
Im ok with the MIL seeing DGD more than me, it is inevitable that some times she will see her more and other times I will see her more.

I had the same problem with my MIL who used to invite me as early as possible before my mother invited us, I used to feel bad as my mother is alone and always used to give her priority but that caused trouble until my MIL used to invite my mother too.

Why do families fight like this.I had hoped that DDs MIL would be my friend and we could visit each other but she has no friends, just her family.
If I babysit I have to sneak out after dark with DGD in case the other gran sees me and she wants to know why I have her.(she lives nearby).
Any comments

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 17-Mar-15 21:52:10

That counts.

joannapiano Tue 17-Mar-15 22:10:18

I shared a flat in Didsbury when I was a student, and had a boyfriend who lived in Owens Park in Fallowfield.

janeainsworth Tue 17-Mar-15 22:34:21

joanna apparently Owens Park is going to be demolished because it is no longer 'fit for purpose'.
When I was at Manchester it was fairly new and the 'in' place to have a room.
I lived in Withington which was nearer to the university than Didsbury, but it still necessitated a bus ride to get there. There was one bus driver who would call out 'Manchester Holiday Camp!' as the bus drew up outside the Students Union on Oxford Road grin

Ana Tue 17-Mar-15 22:49:52

I shared a flat in Didsbury in the early 70s when I was a student too - but I don't think it was with joannapiano (although of course you never know!).

Sewsilver Tue 17-Mar-15 23:02:19

I lived in Didsbury when the children were young and they went to Beaver Road and then on to secondary school. Sometimes I wish those days were back again life seemed so much easier than it is at the moment.

joannapiano Wed 18-Mar-15 08:54:03

I think I'm a bit older than you Ana!