Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Miscarriage

(29 Posts)
lizh Wed 23-Mar-16 10:28:01

Both DiLs have had miscarriages in the last three months. Both trying for a first baby, one aged 32, one 37. Both miscarriages were within first 6/7 weeks and the nurse told one that it happened to 1 in 3! Do not remember so many miscarriages in 'our' day. Is it because they know so early now with pregnancy kits. In the olden days of yore you had to wait till you'd missed two periods, then take a sample to the doctor who sent it off somewhere for days, then you eventually found out! Maybe some of us were having miscarriages then without realising it.

BlueSapphire Thu 04-Apr-19 08:14:24

I had two miscarriages back in the 1970s, and that's exactly what the doctor told me - that it happens to one in three. Fortunately I had no problems with the following pregnancies and had a healthy DS and DD.
Congratulations to your DILs, lizh! Hope all goes well for them.

BlueSapphire Thu 04-Apr-19 08:18:09

Sorry, just noticed that this is an old thread! Hope everything went well.

Franbern Thu 04-Apr-19 12:25:28

Miscarriages were just not spoken about in the past. A few year back, my cousins were helping their 90 year old mother clear her house ready to move into a flat and discovered a box with some baby things. Then she told them that she had miscarried her first baby back in 1938 ( a late mis. would probably even be counted as stillbirth these days), -never mentioned it to anyone in all those years.
Different these days, it is accepted that it is a loss for both parents (and g.parents). There is good support out there. One of my daughters (who had always been so successful in everything she did), experienced the horror of miscarriage, three official and two very, very early.
She managed to get referred to St. Mary's hospital in Paddington who did all sorts of tests on both her and her husband, and found out what was causing these, and helped her to have two healthy little girls.