Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Everything has gone to pot!

(57 Posts)
sluttygran Sun 31-Jul-16 12:38:49

Maybe this belongs on the 'other site', but as we grannies get to look after the tots quite a lot these days, maybe you'll excuse my little rant.
I have vivid memories of toilet-training my own toddlers - not that there was anything amiss with them, but I recall with horror the competition, the bragging and the one-upmanship which went on at mum and baby groups. I'm re-visiting the trauma with DGD age 28 months, and nothing has changed, (although pull-up nappies are a great innovation!)
"All my children were clean and dry at 15 months" is a common boast, and one proud mummy swears that she trained her babies by 9 months, but of course they are much more intelligent and gifted than the average child. I am left wondering why she totes around bags full of clean pants and a 'fold-up potty', and is forever wiping up little accidents!
I'm not sure that early accomplishments in the potty department are any indication of superior intelligence or extra-competent parenting, and in fact I think there may be a danger of making young children very anxious by concentrating too much on the matter. My experience tells me that they all manage it in their own good time, given gentle encouragement and a relaxed attitude.
DGD has recently been hiding in the broom cupboard so that she can poo her nappy in privacy! This has caused a few chuckles, but I feel that it shows her concern about toileting. She has a magnificent pink super-potty of a type not known to our generation, but she doesn't want to sit on it - she says "I'se too little!"
DD and I have decided to back right off and let the poor mite take her time. I would rather have a happy toddler in nappies, than a worried and anxious one in proper pants.
This is a very emotive subject and one which excites great controversy - I shall look forward to the thoughts of other grans, tho' I'm keeping my head well down!

suzied Thu 04-Aug-16 16:33:23

I think modern disposable nappies are so easy many laid back mums just leave them on for convenience. I am sure this leads to some children having psychological problems about using the loo later. I was one of the terry nappy brigade and certainty let mine run around bottomless as soon as possible, so they were all clean and dry early. It wasn't a competitive thing though, I just wanted to avoid all that washing.

Jalima Thu 04-Aug-16 20:23:47

Anya and DaphneB DGD started four days after her 4th birthday. So far coping very well indeed and I hope she continues to do so when she goes to secondary school.
Had she stayed at home (well, in nursery) for that year she would have missed out on reception and started in Y1.
Rules is rules, apparently (but apparently the rules were successfully challenged this year in England).

Jalima Thu 04-Aug-16 20:27:57

felice perhaps he has spent so long being 'grown-up' at school that now he is home for the holidays he wants to be a baby again, that is why he has regressed.
Sometimes children regress when a new baby arrives or something else upsets them; either you could get rid of all the nappies - or else suggest to him that as he is now a baby again he must wear one all the time.
Reverse psychology, but I don't know if it will work; reverse psychology works on 4 year old DGD2 sometimes when she is being contrary Mary.

Anya Thu 04-Aug-16 21:55:48

Tell me about it Daphne GS1's Birthday is August 28th and boy did he struggle.

felice Fri 05-Aug-16 07:47:58

Jalima, thats an idea, he became dry when he wanted to move from Creche to Sunday School as he could not wear a nappy there.
Summer Sunday School on Sunday morning which he loves going to.
I might drop the idea that he cannot go as he now wears nappies again.

Jalima Fri 05-Aug-16 10:30:07

It doesn't work with all my DGC, felice but certainly DGD2. - I am just wondering if she takes after my dear MIL who would argue black is white, then, if you agreed with her would argue the reverse grin