Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Grandparenting time vs childminding time

(35 Posts)
NannaM Mon 19-Sep-16 16:02:07

I am wondering if anyone has any comments on this? is there a difference?

MissAdventure Mon 30-Jan-17 16:24:39

I'm childminding, at the moment.
10 days with grandsons, dog, cat
I wouldn't volunteer to do it; I was asked to.

Greyduster Mon 30-Jan-17 18:47:54

DH and I have looked after GS two days a week since he was six months old. We are pleased to have played a part in his development, and I would never regard that as childminding - it is grandparenting. However, the dynamic has changed as he has got older. We still pick him up from school on two days a week, and he is happy to see us, but his priority, now, as soon as he gets home is either for one of his friends to come to his house, or for him, if he has prior permission, to take himself off to a friend's house. These arrangements are usually cooked up on the way to school. Either way, we don't have a lot of meaningful interaction with him during these times. There is a sort of detachment to it. It has become a safeguarding role. I'm not sure whether this can be regarded as grandparenting or childminding. When he is with us at our house during holidays, or when they all come for a meal, it is definitely grandparenting. Whichever it is, I wouldn't change our time with him.

Iam64 Mon 30-Jan-17 19:26:00

We're like the majority here, always grandparents. We "do" a day of looking after our two small grandchildren whilst their 4 parents are at work. Our day of looking after the little ones is much appreciated by their parents who know it's a real commitment.
I don't know any grandparents who aren't committed to some 'childcare' to support their adult children's efforts to work. Yes, we all agree it's more tiring than when we were young parents but it's family isn't it.

We have older grandchildren who we help in various ways, including one day a week long lift to work for one of them, when his regular lift is at college. Its a 16 mile round trip and would be impossible for him on public transport. Why not help?

Araabra Tue 31-Jan-17 22:06:08

Horses for courses. GPs do what they have to do.

Luckygirl Tue 31-Jan-17 22:41:08

The only stipulation we made when we began caring for little ones for parental work purposes was that we would only have one child at a time. When it is just "babysitting" we are happy to have more than one, as it is not a regular commitment.

My DC know what our limitations are - OH has PD and I am a bit limited in my mobility - and they work around that. Each day that we have a little one is a joy - and they have rituals and routines that they associate with being here and that they enjoy. They do behave very well for us, as they have our full attention for a day; and they join in with the things that need doing - cooking etc.

The DC do appreciate it and do things for us in return - clearing gutters, stacking logs - things we struggle with. As my SIL said the other day when I thanked him for his help..."You help us all the time - it is only fair."

Norah Mon 06-Feb-17 03:20:24

No difference, if there is love it's always there.

Granmary18 Thu 16-Feb-17 16:52:17

*Norah" tbat does seem a bit simplistic! Love can be there ofcourse but that doesnt change the potential differences and impact depending on how different families organise things and interact!

Norah Thu 16-Feb-17 17:18:46

I should have prefaced with in my opinion and in my family.

Hellsbella Fri 12-May-17 21:16:35

Uurrgh prob not the right thread but need to unload as to what a HORRIBLE day I had with the GDs today. They are usually lovely, but degenerating bc of GD1 becoming more "sensitive" bc of her condition (i.e. peers are noticing) and her sister being the most massive bolshy aggressive emotionally-free-range 18m old that ever existed.
I love them both for their own lovelinesses but today they decided to hide all that and just show me psychotic, neurotic, self-demanding and plain old mental.

BUT what narks me off the most is that after a day's back-ache martyred attempts at - not appeasing - but trying to deal with the utter orriblnss, I drop them home and they tell their parents they had lovely day at Grandma's.

Most days I would just say "Hah well think GD2 might be teething, GD1 seemed a bit tired" but today said "Don't think either had the happiest day of their joint lives (am obvs missing a lot of negative moments out here - but to be fair, a few comedy gold moments toosmile"

And I get back "Yeh had terrible day at work myself (am strating to wonder if there's any other kind) but thought well yeh but at least you got paid for yours.