Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Not allowed to see my beloved GS

(123 Posts)
Beth61 Sun 16-Oct-16 07:49:48

Some time ago I wrote a post , Daughter's New Rules( sorry I don't know how to add link ) and received many helpful, supportive responses. Many of them suggested that my DD's new BF sounded controlling and urged caution.
The past few months have been difficult as BF has made it clear that he doesn't like me or DH. I know that we have had a lot of involvement with DD and DGS over the years and it has been hard for us to step back but I have honestly tried to be supportive rather than interfering however I have had a few concerns about DGS and voiced them resulting in DD saying she wants nothing to do with me. My concerns were/ are that BF is too strict with DGS. Anyway she has stopped us seeing DGS and we are absolutely heartbroken. DD will not meet me or talk to me and will not allow Skype or any contact with DGS . I have written 2 letters to her apologising for any upset but nothing back. Now I have heard ( through DGS's Dad ) that they are moving away next week. I don't know where. I am in despair.

Eggers Fri 13-Jan-17 21:00:58

Nice update.

Starlady Sat 14-Jan-17 07:00:27

Thanks for the update, Beth! So glad all turned out well! Sorry you all had to go through this though.

Dd may want to get counseling to see why she was able to be controlled that way. It might help her learn to avoid it in the future. But that's up to her, of course.

Beth61 Tue 24-Jan-17 14:53:21

An update to my update ......BF did not take rejection well. Because DD blocked his number he couldn't contact her so started sitting in his car outside DD's house. At first she didn't realise as he had changed his car . It was only when she realised that a car was following her that she discovered what he was doing and called the police ( who have been great). It has also emerged that he hit her a few times and threatened DGS. Both are receiving counselling. We have also discovered that he treated his previous GF in the same way and - sadly- I have no doubt he will be the same with future partners.

Starlady Tue 24-Jan-17 14:58:14

So glad dd was wise enough not to be lured back into his web! Some women are.

I think this goes to show that when a dd suddenly turns against her parents and COs all family, her h may be an abuser. Not always, but we can't rule that out.

Luckygirl Tue 24-Jan-17 16:06:26

This is excellent news!

Nelliemoser Tue 24-Jan-17 16:36:53

Beth61 A Good result at last and to know that "Clares law" has come in very useful.

Were you yourself able to able to apply for a "Clares law" disclosure or did your daughter?

mcem Tue 24-Jan-17 17:14:08

Well done Beth and family. This story with its happy ending could prove so encouraging for another family finding themselves in a similar situation.
I feel for you as we might have had to face it too but my DD saw the light and allowed us to get her out of it.

Beth61 Tue 24-Jan-17 17:57:07

Nellie- I made the application . So pleased I did .

Nelliemoser Tue 24-Jan-17 18:56:30

Beth61 I had heard about the law but I was not sure if "third party" relatives could apply. Thinking about in the sort of cirumstances of the situation it is essential.
I was a SW before I retired. On one occaision we had contact from the police in one area who wanted our SWs to go with them to warn a family living in our area about a particularly nasty man who the grown up daughter and child had recently started getting involved with.
For the police to do that pro-actively you can bet he was an extremely nasty man.

NfkDumpling Tue 24-Jan-17 19:48:22

Hurrah! Thanks for the update! flowers

Beth61 Tue 24-Jan-17 21:13:07

Nellie - I live in Scotland where any concerned person can apply under Clare's Law but not sure about the rest of the UK. When I feel a bit stronger I am hoping to somehow raise the profile of CL. Not sure how but will think about it.

Dawn1968 Thu 09-Feb-17 13:00:41

Hi.I am in a very sad position where I cannot see my grandchildren(. Boy 5 and girl 3).Reading comments on here has given me relief that I am not on my own.I am heartbroken as my husband and Ihave already missed out on birthdays and Christmas.The situation is very raw but is killing us.My husband especially as he has done nothing wrong and my GD idolised him.I don't know what to do.My daughter is making some very serious accusations from 20+ years ago.My son has also taken her side so we don't see him either but he has Avery controlling partner anyway.

MissAdventure Thu 09-Feb-17 15:12:47

Dawn,
There are a few active threads on estrangement, not sure which is the most used at the minute
I'm sure you would find it helpful talking to the ladies that use them.

Araabra Thu 09-Feb-17 17:32:39

Dawn1968 "My daughter is making some very serious accusations from 20+ years ago.My son has also taken her side so we don't see him either but he has a very controlling partner anyway."

The very serious accusations are probably your problem. When both your children are on the "same side" the problem is identifiable. You do know the issue. Explore the issue, without assuming veracity.

Starlady Tue 14-Feb-17 03:31:59

Dawn, here's what seems to be the main support thread for estranged gps:

www.gransnet.com/forums/relationships/1233880-Continued-support-and-fun-aspects-too-of-rebuilding-lives-after-estrangement-cant-believe-4-years-and-we-still-here-to-offer-help-friendship-and-support

Starlady Tue 14-Feb-17 03:49:59

Anyhow, Dawn, I know this must hurt and I feel for you deeply. Fortunately, it sounds as if it only happened recently since you say it's "very raw." That may mean there is still a chance to fix this.

Yet, it is about stuff "from 20+ years ago. Why is it coming up now? What triggered this after 20 years?

You say dh "has done nothing wrong." Does that mean you feel you did? Have you owned this to ed (estranged daughter)?

You tell us ds "has taken her side." That sounds as if there has been some arguing over it? Maybe you shouldn't argue? Maybe if you just own your mistakes and say you're sorry that will bridge the gap a little?

BlueBelle Tue 14-Feb-17 05:14:49

Well I m very happy for you what a terrible time but what hope for anyone else with estranged children and grandchildren
Was he pleased to see you ?
Poor little chap he probably went through a lot at the hands of that jerk It is very easy to get drawn into a controlled relationship however I m surprised he went quietly that's was unusual but lucky
Claire's law sounds a vital help plus the school

Araabra Tue 14-Feb-17 18:20:28

Beth61 "Nellie- I made the application. So pleased I did"

Good news, leave that sorted by authorities.

Yogagirl Fri 17-Feb-17 09:50:45

Dawn you need to ignore Araabra Bibbity and others like them, they are from mumsnet and have very cruel & unkind things to save on threads that are meant for support for mothers 'cut out' of their beloveds lives, FOR NO REASON! MissAdventure is correct in you going on to 'our' page for support. Unfortunately, the threads seem to have split into 3, but you will quickly identify them. It is the 'in thing' these days to 'cut out' your loving parents & siblings, they get a badge of honour in doing so!

Granmary18 Tue 21-Feb-17 16:18:32

Dawn1968 It seems quite telling that your son is agreeing with your daughter about serious allegations regarding 20 years ago. Obviously we don't know the full story but presumably you and her father do .... I feel for you at such a difficult time and for your son and daughter too ...a lot of soul searching to come and that's so hard

Araabra Wed 22-Feb-17 16:01:50

Granmary18 "Dawn1968 It seems quite telling that your son is agreeing with your daughter about serious allegations regarding 20 years ago." Of course, but I doubt self examination is in order. Why make an attempt to figure out where the problem is? Just blame the inlaw. And then have a pity party forevermore.

Granmary18 Wed 22-Feb-17 19:30:08

Araabra An unnecessary and unconstructive comment that helps no one and certainly doesn't encourage reflection of any kind whatsoever on any aspect of the problem! Why are you doing this?