Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

What are people buying grandchildren for Christmas?

(130 Posts)
SFrncis Fri 18-Nov-16 10:56:35

So, I'm looking for a gift for my granddaughter for Christmas, and thought I'd see what everyone is getting for you own grandchildren... It may even inspire some ideas. I'm currently thinking of something to do with dolls, as she absolutely adores them!

So, what are you getting?

Jalima Fri 18-Nov-16 20:26:02

I looked for a football strip for DGS but I am not paying £75 for just a shirt shock

So, not sure yet.

Jalima Fri 18-Nov-16 20:26:24

I am not paying £75 full stop.

Lyndylou Fri 18-Nov-16 21:34:50

I've got a couple of Lego Ninjago boxes and 4 Lego Dimension Sets for DGS (8). Sounds a lot, but he has a birthday 5 days after Christmas so I will be splitting the presents between the two days. Oh and a Meccano robot that I want to have fun with too.

Step DGDs are 11 and 13 now so they just want money. That's a little sad as I have always loved looking out for things for them. So I have bought handbags then we will put some money in those so they have something to open.

annodomini Fri 18-Nov-16 21:42:12

My DS1 and DiL have suggested microfibre towels (for swimming) for their two. Those will be supplemented with hard cash as teenagers can never have enough! I have to think about the two younger boys and one of them has a birthday on December 1st.

Nelliemoser Fri 18-Nov-16 22:25:08

No idea really. They have so much stuff, 18mnth old is too little to decide and if you asked him the 4yr old would want just about everything you could think of.
Big brother all ready has a lot of these things.

mcem Fri 18-Nov-16 23:03:04

Following family format -
Something you want
Something you need
Something to wear
Something to read!
Plus Santa always make a special Christmas Eve delivery of new pj's for everyone!

paddyann Fri 18-Nov-16 23:33:26

my 9 year old grandaughter likes to think she's grown up so a lovely Cath kidston overnight bag with a travel hairdryer,PJ's a manicure set and some smellies....she's also getting a Lego Friends set.7 year old has a similar bag no hairdryer though and she wants a camera and some small toys Trolls and Kitty Club and Shopkins,5 year old its PJ's and Toys galore Paw Patrol is her favourite this year oh and a one cup teapot and cup set as she loves a cup of tea.Grandson its clothes and money...he's 13 and thats what he wants .Generallly I'll spend around £75 a head ..or a little more ..they're worth it

Teetime Sat 19-Nov-16 07:10:25

Its about £50 each the football boots were £35 so not too bad.

I hate to think what their parents spend I think its a new X Box/Playstation this year plus no doubt a range of other goodies.

Greyduster Sat 19-Nov-16 07:51:08

anno the microfibre towel is a really good idea. GS swims a lot and he never seems to be red hot about drying himself properly.

Pamaga Sat 19-Nov-16 09:04:52

We bought our grandson some megablox in a charity shop a while ago. In the bag were some little vehicles with interchangeable tops. He absolute loves these and they don't seem to make them any more so I found some on ebay and ordered them plus a car carrier for them. I think he will love them and he can be quite creative swapping around the front and back of each onto a chassis to make different vehicle configurations. I think they are called tiny and tuff. I've never seen them in the shops which is a shame but he won't mind having 'recycled' toya!

cherryblossom Sat 19-Nov-16 09:11:04

My darling GC live overseas but visiting us for the hols. GS would like a big egg thingy with a chick that eats its way out. Apparently seen on US YouTube? Anyone heard of anything like that over here?

Humbertbear Sat 19-Nov-16 09:12:39

Mine have a room full of toys that are never touched. Mum and dad will only by them mor elf the same. I am buying them new duvet covers with matching pillowcases and a book and a few stocking filler type gifts.
I think I have mentioned before that their great grandmother has only ever bought them adult classic books for gifts. They love receiving them and treasure them.

bluebellwoods Sat 19-Nov-16 09:15:11

Things they need! Pyjamas, Onesies, Dressing gowns. Also some bits and pieces but my granddaughters are approaching the fussy age so difficult to buy clothes now. I would rather they choose the main thing and get a few small surprises.

moobox Sat 19-Nov-16 09:15:42

6 year old -Grocery gang - don't go there, worse than Shopkins, but that's what she wants. Taking a punt on the grandson, guessing his favourite activity. He will be 4 months old on Christmas Eve, and so far his hobby has been milk, so I am extending the range with a huge set of weaning bits and pieces. I have added a toy of course. 13 year old wants books, 18 year old shave stuff with 007 branding, 3 year old certain books, but I have sneaked in a little ballet shoes necklace.

Shazmo24 Sat 19-Nov-16 09:16:30

My GC are 8 & 6 & they are both getting cameras (under £40)

Marydoll Sat 19-Nov-16 09:17:02

We only have the one GD. She was a year old yesterday and got lots of toys. Wasn't sure what to get for Christmas, as she got so much. However, we have seen a swing with four interchangeable seats, which will do her from now until she is about 8 or 9. it will be kept at our house, as our garden is quite large and flat. It looks good value.

adaunas Sat 19-Nov-16 09:17:22

1. GS would like a solitaire game like Granddad's and Sonic Lego dimensions and David Williams latest.
2. GS would like a new skateboard like the one he saw in a sale ( so we bought that quickly) and a voucher towards a game for the XBox he hopes he's getting.
1 GD would like a Pandora Ring or money for make up for her college course.
2 GD would like a fluffy unicorn and . . . And . . . And . . . whatever she sees on the TV.
I like it when the know what they want and as they get older, they know what the cash limit is and try to ask for things that fit within that.

Diggingdoris Sat 19-Nov-16 09:20:01

My 11 and 14 year old GD s have a fortnightly horse riding lesson, but their stables offer a week helping with the chores with a ride at the end of each day. So I pay for this week for them as a xmas pressie. Did the same for their birthdays this year. Real hands on experience, from shovelling manure to grooming and feeding. They love it.

hicaz46 Sat 19-Nov-16 09:27:19

I have two of 14, boy and girl, two at 9, boy and girl and one of 5. Two oldest get money, two 9 year olds are having clothes and vouchers as they get toys/big presents from parents and youngest has a book, a car transporter and Man U pjs. I spend about £35 on each.This year however as I shall be away for Christmas my son, daughter and I have agreed no presents for adults.

allule Sat 19-Nov-16 09:30:06

With 9 grandchildren I used to have problems looking for things they wanted, and about the right price. I now allocate £30 each, look for a present I think they'll like, then give them money to make up the difference. All approximate, but means I can give one a present that costs five pounds, and one that costs twenty, without worrying about fairness.

Annsan Sat 19-Nov-16 09:30:15

LEGO

woo69 Sat 19-Nov-16 09:32:25

9 year old DGD doesn't like "toys" and doesn't have any. She is very creative so has some of the lovely adult colouring books and pencils, pens and paints and two Breyer horses sets that you paint.
DGS was 5 in October and got lots of Lego Dimensions he has asked for Lego and loves Ghostbusters and Superheroes so 2 Lego sets for him.
Baby is 4 months so she has ITNG plush toys and I will get some clothes as she is fast growing out of everything.
I try to spend about £50 each but I have a Shop and Scan scanner which earns me near enough this amount each year which I change to Argos vouchers around the beginning of October and then start buying things on the 3 for 2, or have been reduced.

radicalnan Sat 19-Nov-16 09:39:13

I am only buying experiences now for the kids at Christmas, treated mine to an expensive Santa thing. other than that I do collect from chairity shops throughout the year, books puzzles etc for them.

BIG TIP go to charity shops immediately after Christmas, as people who were given things they do not like just move them on. I have worked in several shops and find people of 20 coming in with all sorts of stuff for 9 year olds that they were given at Christmas by people who hadn't seen them for years. Puzzles, boxed games and books mostly but well worth buying and putting aside.

I only buy second hand wherever possible, trying to encourage the kids not to go mad, I make little dolls clothes etc and this year have bought a huge, interactive pony, from e bay to be shared (when they are here) and she has a range of clothes and will be a circus pony. or panto pony, or Indian pony as required.

pattie Sat 19-Nov-16 09:43:45

On their mothers suggestion a personalised floor cushion and fleecy Christmas blanket and an American football jumper and fleece( one each)
For the five yr old girl a sparkly bomber jacket from MandS and a smiggle thing. For the 3 yrs old girl a microphone and tights and sparkly top.

That's all except for stocking fillers from Tiger.

Jan51 Sat 19-Nov-16 09:46:21

Cherryblossom - saw a post on one of our local sites from someone who bought one of these and was very disappointed. Firstly it didn't hatch properly and then child lost interest in it after a couple of hours because it didn't do much.
DGS1 aged 9 will get an alarm clock and a watch and probably a board game. DGS2 aged 8 will also get a watch and a board game plus something else probably Dr Who related. I usually do stocking for GSs and DDs but as they now both have partners I think I'll do one per couple, so mostly sweets and maybe Primark socks.