Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Grandaughter with Aspergers.

(29 Posts)
tiffaney Tue 24-Jan-17 18:27:20

I am so worried about my grandaughter. She has gone from being a happy and exceptionally clever child, always top of the class to an anxious teenager suffering from panic attacks. She was not diagnosed with Aspergers until she reached puberty, apparently this is quite common with girls. Now almost 16 she has not been at school for almost 2 years and although she has been funded for private tutoring, even that is now falling by the wayside and she is refusing to do it and "doesn't see the point". She also has councelling but not very successfully as she has not formed any kind of relationship with her councillor. My daughter does her best and they still have a good close relationship but I feel like no one can get through to her.

tiffaney Fri 28-Apr-17 13:28:42

Just an update as I see there are some recent posts. Still very up and down. One day she will go to tuition, next day can't face it. Doesn't want to discuss it with me or her other Grandparents. GCSEs coming up Starting in May so that's another hurdle to get her to go to them. My daughter is very grounded but I don't think getting enough support from SiL. Wouldn't tolerate seeing a councellor at home as this is her 'safe place'. It's a constant worry to me and I'm finding very hard to put it to the back of my mind and get on with my own life. All I can do is listen to my daughter and offer any help I can give. Nannynoo, my grandson also has Aspergers. Now 12,1/2, he has coped with moving up to secondary school brilliantly and is doing well. He's surprised us all.Hope it goes wel with your GS. Thanks again both of you for staying in touch x

merlotgran Fri 28-Apr-17 14:05:33

I can recommend M is for Autism written by the students of Limpsfield Grange School, tiffany

Very enlightening and informative for anyone to read.

tiffaney Fri 28-Apr-17 16:46:53

Thank you. Will have a look at that. I just found something online called Willow Hope. So much fits my Gd.