Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Could this be some kind of sibling rivalry or jealousy?

(32 Posts)
icbn2802 Tue 14-Mar-17 12:58:26

I recently learnt that I'm to become a nana for the 2nd time. I still have a few baby bits stored in my spare bedroom-daughter said she didn't want them, claiming her son would be her one & only child. Now my other daughter is expecting I've been aaking the mum of the 3 year old whether it's worth keeping hold of these 'bits' for when her sister has her baby. On each occasion she's basically saying 'no-I doubt she'd want it' not a hint of a suggestion that it's an idea even worth considering. I must admit its stumped me a bit. And I'm not even sure how I should feel & indeed what to do with these baby bits, trying to have a ruthless & long overdue declutter.
Do I just get rid & say no more or offer these bits to the expectant mum? Feel a bit torn to be honest but don't want to get it wrong.

meandashy Thu 16-Mar-17 12:49:08

If your pregnant daughter doesn't want the things you have there are now places like food banks but for clothes for families in direct straights that can't afford charity shops. Just a thought..... congratulations ?

meandashy Thu 16-Mar-17 12:49:40

Dire not direct confused

Elrel Thu 16-Mar-17 16:23:04

National Childbirth Trust hold nearly new sales open to everyone.

chrissyh Thu 16-Mar-17 18:12:46

I would just offer them to the daughter who is expecting saying would you like to have a look through these baby clothes to see if there is anything you would like but no problem if not, I'll take them to the charity shop.

NannyKasey Thu 16-Mar-17 19:06:54

My DD donated most of DGD No 1's clothes to a project in Africa dear to my and DM's heart as she had no room to keep them. She now has DGD no 2 (there is nearly a 5 year gap between the two) and will probably do the same this time around unless she has another baby and it's another DGD (obviously not yet as DGD No 2 is just a month old)

Theoddbird Thu 16-Mar-17 21:52:50

My eldest daughter loves having things that she had as a child for her children to have but my youngest wants all new for her children. The only thing that my three children and my six grandchildren have shared is a gorgeous wicker crib on a stand. It will be used by my great grandchildren next...smiles smile