Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Son

(58 Posts)
TrishaJ Fri 31-Mar-17 19:21:35

My son as fallen out with me because I have moved away to retire to Devon he as said some really hurtful things to me and as also called my husband not his father who I have been with for 25years we always got on so well we have baby sat for years been away together all things family's do,he as now told me it was all a frase and never like my husband and I been a terrible mother.I am missing my son and my grandchildren.Why after all these years as this come about I can,t bring myself to contact him as I may get more verbal abuse.

TrishaJ Wed 05-Apr-17 18:55:37

You have got it wrong Norah

M0nica Wed 05-Apr-17 19:51:51

I disagree with the suggestion that it takes two to cause a rift. I can think of several cases where rifts have taken place between people where one person quietly living their life has suddenly had somebody take against them, for no discernable reason.

To give a ridiculous but believable situation. Two houses, Two householders and one goes out and buys a 4X4 not knowing that their neighbour has an unreasonable dislike of such cars and launches a campaign of harrassment and vandalism against the neighbour who has bought one. To suggest that the car buying neighbour was in any way responsible for the problems because he bought a car a neighbour didn't like is ridiculous.

I had a work colleague harassed by a neighbour who had lived next to her for 50 years for a similar type of reason. The campaign lasted 7 years before she finally ended it with a court case.

Madgran77 Wed 05-Apr-17 20:36:08

MOnica I agree , it does not always take two to cause and argument! Sometimes it takes one to respond unreasonably, without discussion or a willingness to listen or hear .....a cause of much unhappiness for themselves and others!

Penstemmon Wed 05-Apr-17 20:37:51

I was careful to say that the 'other side' might be unreasonable! But unless you know where the other side is coming from you cannot move forward.

Norah Thu 06-Apr-17 09:01:01

Penstemmon, You have made my point, Thank you.

MawBroon Thu 06-Apr-17 10:40:56

Perhaps some more information from TrishaJ would help us not to "get it all wrong"? It is hard when there is very little to go on, but I appreciate it might be upsetting for you.
Perhaps this resentment has been brewing for a while or perhaps it was a spontaneous outburst. Hard to know with so few details.

hondagirl Fri 07-Apr-17 08:46:58

Yes, it's difficult isn't it? It might be your son is feeling you have abandoned the family and thus removed support when they have been used to having you around. Children sometimes find it difficult to get their heads round the fact that their parents want a life of their own and should have the freedom to enjoy their retirement as they see fint.

I think a clear and frank discussion needs to take place. Ask your son what he would do if a fantastic job came along in another part of the country or even abroad, if it was an offer too good to turn down? Would he say no just to be near his parents? Lots of offspring seem to think that it's ok for them to follow their dreams but don't allow their parents the same freedom.

They may not understand that the decision to move away is not taken lightly as you say you miss your grandchildren.