Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Rude messages

(53 Posts)
Bizilizi29 Thu 25-May-17 23:53:53

I've had a fall out with my daughter and grandchildren after saying I couldn't drive them to our holiday site that evening straight after work which was 1.5 hours away. I said go on ahead without me and I'll meet them next day. When I got home from work that night my phone bleeped with messages from my grandchildren saying I'd let them down they were so looking forward and that I'd started a row....with whom I didn't know but assumed it was with father who too didn't want the drive after a days work. I feel unfairly treated because I wouldn't drive that evening.

M0nica Mon 29-May-17 13:17:40

But if your 'need' for them is so strong that they treat you with the indifference, rudeness and anger that we read about on so many threads, not just this one, then the relationship is badly out of balance.

There are grandparents who are an integral part of their DC and DGC lives with mutual respect and love on all sides. As I said there is a big difference between being a supportive grandparent and effectively being the family skivvy and we hear on GN about so many being treated like skivvies and I am puzzled about how one becomes the other.

Starlady Mon 29-May-17 13:29:16

Sometimes, I think it happens MOnica because the loving gp does so much, so often for their ac and gc that they start to feel "entitled" to it and so "wronged" when the gp says "no." Imo, gps need to say no every once in a while from the beginning, just to make sure this doesn't happen.

But I also think in some cases, the gp says "yes" as often as possible because it's the only way they see their ac & gc. Or because they're afraid they won't get to see them if they don't.

But as someone else said, since the op hasn't been back in to answer questions, we can't really gauge her situation. I hope the reason she hasn't come back is that they all made up and everything is fine now. But if that's the story, Op, I think it would be nice if you took the time to let us know.