Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

overweight 3 year old

(58 Posts)
Grannyjacq1 Sat 03-Jun-17 20:22:30

Does anyone have any advice on how to approach the topic of an overweight 3 year old with his parents? I am worried that his long-term health may be affected and wonder how to tackle this without spoiling the relationship with son and daughter in law, neither of whom are overweight. His mealtimes seem to be haphazard, and he seems to be allowed to snack unhealthily. I don't want to be seen to interfere (we only see them once every 3 weeks or so) but neither of them seems to admit to there being a problem.

Anya Mon 05-Jun-17 05:49:38

I think the healthy eating message is school is excellent. Let's hope it helps stem the obesity epidemic for future generations.

Grannyjacq1 Mon 05-Jun-17 09:58:36

Thanks for all your helpful suggestions, most of which echoed what I was thinking anyway - it's good to have instincts re-enforced and to feel that I'm probably doing the right thing. We do lots of trips to the park and, now that his baby sister has the buggy, he is walking a lot more too.

Starlady Mon 05-Jun-17 10:02:33

Agree with pps - let the professionals give the advice. The parents will take it better from them. But you can provide healthy snacks if gs is at your house and maybe some activities that give him some exercise.

Travelsofar, I think you might mention the breathlessness to ds, but say nothing about weight. If the loss of breath concerns him, he'll make the connection. If he doesn't see it, he may, at least, ask the doctor. Otherwise, same advice as to the op. But caution on the activities, in your gd's case, as you don't want her to wear her out or make her dislike visiting you.

rosesarered Mon 05-Jun-17 10:11:27

Good post paddyann yes, the healthy eating message can be taken too far.
I would say now't to the parents in this case Grannyjac

Madgran77 Mon 05-Jun-17 10:42:22

I think best to say nothing at the moment too. Introduce him to healthier snacks if the chance arises ...cheese flavoured or raisin oatcakes are a good example ...! But sadly don't assume it will get better or he will grow out of it! My nephews weight was raised with his parents soon after he started school; however his parents didn't listen! Now he is 10 and enormous ....and allowed to eat what he likes! Sadly, some find it hard to say no to children..or hear wise advice. He's such a nice child but I fear for him at secondary school and he has already suffered bullying at primary! So ...maybe think about ways to support him and his parents once he starts school ...pick up on the healthy eating lessons he will have and use those maybe to introduce the subject? It is so hard when one has to watch a problem but just wait ....!hmm

Jalima1108 Mon 05-Jun-17 15:15:50

paddyann I agree with your post. Food could become an obsession rather than something to enjoy which fuels our bodies and, whilst it is good for children to know what is good for them and what to eat less of, it can be taken too far.

LuckyFour Fri 09-Jun-17 11:58:14

Don't say anything. They will of course already be aware of the problem and may quietly be trying to improve his eating habits. They may be worried about it too so don't make things worse or you will certainly regret it.