Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Will i lose contact with my grandchildren ?

(58 Posts)
Ellie Anne Tue 29-Aug-17 22:06:28

I know I'm overreacting but am quite upset and worried. I've looked after my grandchildren two days a week since they were born. This now involves staying over as we live a bit away. But we have always felt second best to d in laws parents who also live a bit away but are definitely the favourites. They are a good bit younger than us and are both working. Now they are moving close to son and d in law and will be on hand to help,out. I'm worried I'll be left out and lose contact with my only grandchildren. I'm not terribly close to my son but am feeling awful about all this. I don't have a good relationship with husband so can't talk it over with him.

Norah Thu 07-Sep-17 15:56:56

I disagree with that rubbish quote, I do not believe problems stem more from either person of the couple. I think the problems, if any exist come from the dad and his expectations.

Starlady Thu 07-Sep-17 23:43:14

What "dad," Norah? Ds, the kids' father? Or his father, the gf - the op's dh? Sorry, but I'm not quite sure who or what expectations you're talking about here?

Norah Fri 08-Sep-17 07:27:06

The children's dad has expectations that have been dashed. Not that old false saying to daughters being daughters to the rest of their life.

LetGo Thu 28-Sep-17 00:05:44

Well to be blunt, it's none of your business what the other grandparents do with your relatives, as the children are not yours. I know, it's harsh, but why beat around the bush. Going tit for tat and making an issue of "equal" involvement is only going to work against you so I would steer clear of that. Just be positive and supportive with whatever involvement you're are privileged enough to receive! Grandparents don't deserve to be treated equally , they simply deserve to be treated the way they behave individually. For example, if you stomp boundaries you will not receive the same privileges as grandparents that do not stomp boundaries. My advice in general is to find a hobby that makes you happy and enjoy whatever time with your relatives/child's kids that they grant you. Good luck!

BlueBelle Thu 28-Sep-17 08:01:27

make no mistake Bibbity of the extent some AC who ve CO their parents
May I ask what language we are talking in as I DFU
Are we such lazy conversationists we can't write any words any more
And we have the termerity to moan about the kids and text talk GR8

Norah Thu 28-Sep-17 20:11:38

That daughters saying causes so many unnecessary problems.

Starlady Sun 01-Oct-17 04:06:39

Bibbity, did you somehow not see the rest of Smileless' sentence? It's:

"Make no mistake Bibbity of the extent some AC who've CO their parents will go to to try and disrupt the relationships their parents have with their siblings."

Iows, in Smileless' opinion (if I'm reading correctly), "Some ac who have co their parents will also go to great lengths to try to disrupt the relationships their parents have with their siblings."

You may not agree with her, but that's what she's saying.