Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

On labour ward. This is stressful!

(142 Posts)
Flaxseed Thu 31-Aug-17 02:24:57

DD was admitted last night after a check for decreased foetal movements revealed high blood pressure at 38 weeks.
She only moved to her first home last week so her hospital bag was at mine.
I brought it up to hospital and now can't bring myself to leave her.
She has cannulas, a catheter, bp monitoring, foetal monitoring, and regular medication.
I work here (not a Midwife) so it's good to see familiar faces but I am not used to being 'on the other side' and it's so scary.
Just looking for a hand hold really confused

paddyann Thu 31-Aug-17 12:15:44

flaxseed I've been in exactly the position your daughter is and it was the scariest time of my life,stay with her.She needs all the support you can muster.I know how difficult that is when you are worried but try to be confident that they are keeping an eye on baby and will act as quickly as humanly possible if the situation changes.My son was born at 28 weeks and 4 days due to pre eclampsia...high blood pressure,kidney issues,vomiting..and he is now a happy healthy almost 30 year old with a child of his own.You and your scared girl will be in my thoughts.Please update us when you can.Be kind to yourself ,its a very difficult time

Flaxseed Thu 31-Aug-17 15:48:03

I replied earlier but seems my update disappeared! hmm

My first grandchild, a gorgeous little boy, was born this morning.

I am just a little bit smitten grin

They are back on labour ward until pre eclamptic symptoms subside. Her renal function was becoming impaired.

I am home now so others have a chance to meet him, but just want to be back there - ensuring she's ok!

Thanks for all the hand holds and kind words!

MawBroon Thu 31-Aug-17 15:50:24

Lovely news- congratulations to all concerned especially the new granny!! ?

DameJudyClench Thu 31-Aug-17 15:52:01

Wonderful news Flaxseed

Hope your DD recovers quickly flowers

Luckygirl Thu 31-Aug-17 15:53:21

Congratulations on the safe arrival of GS no.1! - what wonderful news.

Lots of good times to come!

My DD was in exactly the same position and it took a day or two for her symptoms to subside; but all was well in the end. She had no pre-eclampsia with her next two; and she had normal deliveries. So do tell your DD that this is not what always happens!!!

NfkDumpling Thu 31-Aug-17 16:00:33

Congratulations! Great news and I'm glad all is well. wine flowers.

My DD1 had pre-eclampsia, and DGD1 was born 7 weeks early - but we were sailing in Greece at the time so missed the bit you've just gone through! We were home and with them two days later. It meant a bit of juggling with me staying with them week days to run DD to and from hospital until the baby could come home. A hectic time to come for you.

fiorentina51 Thu 31-Aug-17 16:02:58

Wonderful news. Best wishes to you all. ???

NfkDumpling Thu 31-Aug-17 16:03:15

My DD1 also had a normal delivery and no pre-eclampsia with her second child. She was closely watched though which was very reassuring.

Jane10 Thu 31-Aug-17 16:05:25

Lovely news. Congratulations! I've been worrying about you all day. flowers

Swanny Thu 31-Aug-17 16:06:46

Many congratulations Flaxseed to you and the new parents, and Happy Birthday to the new arrival flowers wine sunshine

paddyann Thu 31-Aug-17 16:07:11

congratulations and welcome to the world to your new grandson.It may take your daughter a few days to recover(,I was sedated for 3 days) and your wee one will be going home WITH his mum which is the best feeling in the world ,she may be a bit emotionally wobbly for a while so just be on hand for her

durhamjen Thu 31-Aug-17 16:18:25

Congratulations, Flaxseed.
My fifth grandchild arrived yesterday, the first by c-section, and it certainly seemed to be the most nerve-wracking, even though this one was planned.
He was lying on top of his mum's placenta, and a normal delivery would have been dangerous, so this one was at 38 weeks, too, as they didn't want to go up to the expected delivery date.
Mother and son fine today.

hildajenniJ Thu 31-Aug-17 16:27:50

Congratulations on the safe arrival of your grandson flaxseed. I'm glad all went well. I've been watching for an update since early this morning. ? I hope your daughter is soon well. ???

Tea and cake Thu 31-Aug-17 16:36:58

Wonderful! Congratulations all round!

Lillie Thu 31-Aug-17 16:41:03

Lovely news! Congratulations on your first grandchild.

cornergran Thu 31-Aug-17 17:04:12

Congratulations. Wonderful news.

TriciaF Thu 31-Aug-17 17:12:26

Congratulations from me too flowers
Wishing good health to all of you.

POGS Thu 31-Aug-17 17:15:37

Love to both mum and baby.

What a special day for you all.

flowers

Imperfect27 Thu 31-Aug-17 17:17:33

Happy news! Glad you are able to put your feet up for a time ... What a hard day all round, but filled with such joy too. Congratulations granny smileflowers

GrandmaMoira Thu 31-Aug-17 17:20:43

Congratulations and glad all is well now.

glammanana Thu 31-Aug-17 17:25:53

Congratulations from me also,make sure your DD has loads of rest and keep visitors at bay for a while whilst she recovers her strength.

judypark Thu 31-Aug-17 17:26:58

Delighted for you and your daughter, I've been dipping in and out of GN every hour hoping for this wonderful news. Congratulations. ?

nanaK54 Thu 31-Aug-17 17:28:35

Many congratulations flowers

Flaxseed Thu 31-Aug-17 17:57:23

What a lovely bunch you are!

Congratulations to Durhamjen too.

I am so tired, but can't sleep as DD is still vomiting. Her BP is better and they have taken more bloods to check renal function.
Baby passed meconium inside so is under observation too.

Thanks for all your positive stories. They are very reassuring.

NfkDumpling Thu 31-Aug-17 18:01:15

Congratulations DJ! There are several births being celebrated this week it seems. I've noticed before that babies do come in bunches.