Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Looking after Grandchildren

(38 Posts)
Madgran77 Fri 01-Sep-17 07:18:37

Having seen a comment in another thread a out the inappropriateness of Grandfathers looking after young grandchildren I am wondering what others think? My own view is that if a grandparent is fit, healthy, able and willing then great ...whether grandma or grandad! I just cant see any differentiation in suitability between the two

Barmyoldbat Sat 02-Sep-17 15:51:30

Xxno problem here with care from other half, the grand kids love him to bits and He is the step gran dad. In fact we took the 6 year old camping in a tent in the Lake District one year and I ended up in hospital many miles away with gallstones on day 2. I had to spend the rest of week there and was discharged on the return trip. My OH coped really well taking her on long hikes up high passes, and a kind lady in the tent near by did the honour of taking her for showers. My grand daughter declared it the best ever.

Barmyoldbat Sat 02-Sep-17 15:53:14

Can someone help me, my comments keeping coming out purple and I can't seem to change it.

maryeliza54 Sat 02-Sep-17 15:59:20

Bob they are in purple only to you and it highlights the fact that it is your post

inishowen Sat 02-Sep-17 18:24:40

My husband loves to look after our five year old daughter but won't take her out on his own. He worries she'll want to go to the toilet and he wouldn't know where to take her.

Madgran77 Sat 02-Sep-17 20:22:32

The original post was in reply to a MIL saying her DIL was anxious about her caring for her grandaughter,,,who was then giving an update on how well it was all going which was nice. One of the comments in the thread was about how it wasn't appropriate for a grandad to look after a young child ...I asked why not but got no reply and neither did Iam64 who also asked.
There was no obvious reference to child abuse in the original comment.

maddy629 Sun 03-Sep-17 07:06:22

My husband and I share babysitting duties but recently I broke my wrist and couldn't manage carrying my youngest grandson around. My husband took over the babysitting and has been doing a very good job of it. Our grandchildren adore him and he adores them. Why has this lighthearted post slipped into a treatise on child sex abuse? GoldenAge I suggest you read the original post, just a thought!

Helmsley444 Sun 03-Sep-17 18:26:38

Do you mean gd or daughter

Madgran77 Sun 03-Sep-17 18:55:52

Helmsley I meant granddaughter...the DIL was anxious originally about MIL looking after her daughter ....but nicely, it all works out and MIL gave an update on how well it was all going!

Bibbity Sun 03-Sep-17 20:03:29

The bond between my son and my Dad is amazing. The love they share makes me well up sometimes. They are so passionately about the Sam etc you'd think my son was 60 and not 3!

The only concern I have is not for my son but rather my dad.
He just doesn't know when to take it easy or when to just stop and rest. He's suffering a lot more and I do worry about him.

But with Regards to my son I have absolutely no worries about my sons saftey or anything.

He was an extraordinary father and he's managed to excel himself as a grandfather. I'll never be able to show him how grateful I am to him.

BBbevan Sun 03-Sep-17 21:15:18

Absolute highlight of DHs life to go off cycling or anything really in the company of our 2 DGDs. And they love it too.
None of us, their parents or myself have any qualms at all

haporthrosie Mon 04-Sep-17 00:02:46

Glad I'm not alone in feeling I might be missing something. Surely anyone who can help bring up a child should be welcomed, especially these days? Children need any good influences they can possibly have.

I can't imagine my childhood without my grandfather. I was so lucky it's ridiculous! Dadah was happy to change and wash my nappies, feed me, bathe me, any of the millions of things babies need.

I can still hear him singing me to sleep with old music-hall songs. Reciting Shakespeare, Yeats, A.A. Milne. ('I do like a little bit of butter to my bread!') Responding with infinite kindness and patience to the endless refrain 'Tell me about India ...' His humour, integrity, curiosity, and complete lack of self-importance. His love of theatre, literature, history, and - most of all - of people and of life. His joy in running about, dancing and playing as if he were a child himself - looking back, I can't believe his vitality. He was like someone in his twenties till he was eighty-odd! (Wish I'd inherited that.) His unshakable belief in the value of every individual and refusal to close any part of his mind or heart. What I owe him, as well as my mother and grandmother, could never be expressed. Every day I have the examples of three remarkable people who lived love with every fibre of their beings. I wish I could be more like them - live more fully the goodness that they proved can be. But at least I've got the chance, and it's because of all three of them (and later, in many ways, my step-father).

The quiet times, reading or looking into the fire, just silently enjoying each other's company. The daft times, demonstrating a funny walk he'd seen or launching into his bang-on impressions of Peter Lorre or Sir Thomas Beecham. You can't put a price on the priceless, you can't put limits on love, and I can't for the life of me see that it matters if anyone who truly loves a child is male or female.

Not to mention the fact that a good grandfather can make life infinitely easier for Grans!

And here I'll end my little 'In Praise of Grandfathers' moment. Good grandparents are sunshine and moon to their grandchildren. Hugs to all who love and care for the young and vulnerable.

norose4 Mon 04-Sep-17 10:07:39

If the grandparents have no known reason for being unsuitable adults to have around children, then like others I can't see any difference if it is Granny or Grandad spending time with their grandchildren & babysitting