Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Apologies

(331 Posts)
LiveLaughLaove Wed 07-Mar-18 08:53:43

LIVE - LAUGH- LOVE-

I see a lot of hurt mothers on here, and I wonder where all went wrong. It’s quote unfortunate, and as much as everyone’s story may be different, the vast majority of conflict and estrangement seems to evolve between mothers and their adult sons. MILs and DILs can’t see eye to eye. Grandchildren cut off over adult fall outs. Sons being blamed for not having a backbone. Or being under their wives control. There’s obviously a disconnect somewhere. But where? After reading many of the responses, the common theme amongst 90% of the responses seems to be, “I’m estranged but I don’t know what I did wrong.” Again on a very case specific basis, do we all really not know what we did wrong, or are we too embarrassed to admit our faults to our estranged child? How many of sincerely apologize? When do we stop blaming others and reflect more on our own imperfections? Are we totally without blame? Were we respectful of other people’s choices? Are your apologies sincere?

An apology is an acknowledgment of one’s fault. An admission of discourtesy; followed by an expression of regret or remorse. An apology acknowledges the harm your actions caused. Irrespective of whether or not you think they were harmful. An apology is sincere. Its sincerity is self-spoken. Sincere apology open platforms for dialogue. Insincere apologies effectively add locks, to previously locked doors.

Was your apology sincere? Did it show that you’ve taking responsibility for your actions? Did your apology show you taking ownership? Taking ownership helps rebuild trust with the estranged individual. Apologies that lack sincerity, further function to jeopardize your overall integrity, and cause the relationship to be more toxic. Yes, apologizing is hard work. It means that one has to accept that they were wrong, admit to fault and shun their distasteful behavior. But at times our egos cloud our better judgment. Pride, family/social status. stubbornness, and embarrassment etc. further impair our better judgement. These are factors that inhibit our admission to fault. Start by expressing remorse, admitting responsibility, empathizing and making amends. Don’t offer excuses, never apologize when angry, don’t apologize repeatedly. Promise it will not happen again.

If your apologies sound/have sounded anything close to the ones listed below you to step back, rethink and re-offer a sincere apology to your estranged child. Remember an apology though necessary isn’t always sufficient, so allow for time to heal the wounds you caused. As you allow for time to do its job, remember integrity: its not in your place to dictate, control or question the victims healing time, or whether or not they choose to forgive you.

Examples of apologies that may be ignored on a lack of sincerity basis.

1.The power struggle apology. (Ok. I’m sorry. Why should I apologize first?).

2.The entitled apology. (I’m sorry. Remember, I’m your Mother/Father/Spouse etc)

3.The fake apology - (I’m sorry you/she/he, felt that way).

4.The assumptive apology. (I think I may have hurt you. I’m sorry).

5.Apologies that excuse the abuser’s bad behavior. (I’m sorry, but I only acted out of love).

6.Victim blaming apologies. (I’m sorry, but no one has ever made me so upset).

7.Victim shaming apologies. (I’m sorry but he/she shouldn’t have done that).

8.The evasive apology. (I’m sorry but I don’t know what I did wrong).

9.Apologies that dispute the abusers’ offence. (I’m sorry if that happened).

10.The controlling apologies. (I’m sorry but we need to move on).

11.The insincere apologies (Sorry but we’ve both made many mistakes).

12.The abusive apology. (I’m sorry but I’m hurting because of you)

13.The sarcastic apology. (Fine! I’m sorry).

14.The gas lighting apology. (I’m sorry, it’s all in your head – a very dangerous apology).

15.The expectations apology. (How many times have I said sorry?)

16.The reverse apology. (I’m sorry I hurt you, but you hurt me first).

17.The accusatory apology. (I’m sorry I called you lazy, but everyone thinks you’re lazy).

18.The mind game apology (I’m sorry but none of this would have happened if you’d listened to me).

19.The defensive apology. (I’m sorry, everyone knows it’s not in my character to act that way)

20.The manipulative apology. (I’m sorry, just trust me).

21.The treacherous/vengeful apology. (I’m sorry, but she/he needs to go).

How sincere are you when you apologize?

OldMeg Wed 07-Mar-18 09:03:10

Light the blue touch paper and retire! ? ? ?

????

MissAdventure Wed 07-Mar-18 09:07:58

Of course, its important to remember that this applies to everyone, not just grandparents or parents.

janeainsworth Wed 07-Mar-18 09:11:39

Never apologise, never explain grin

Agus Wed 07-Mar-18 09:13:38

Very patronising post.

You make far too many assumptions without personal knowledge of others situations.

mcem Wed 07-Mar-18 09:15:53

New poster?

janeainsworth Wed 07-Mar-18 09:16:32

“It is a good rule in life never to apologize. The right sort of people do not want apologies, and the wrong sort of people take a mean advantage of them”
P.G. Wodehouse

Anniebach Wed 07-Mar-18 09:21:46

Was bound to happen

Violetfloss Wed 07-Mar-18 09:30:47

While I agree with SOME of the things you've said. Don't you think you're being bit patronising?

With these toxic type of relationships it doesn't matter if you apologise with unicorns and rainbows. It makes no difference at all.

janeainsworth Wed 07-Mar-18 09:33:23

What was, annie?

Blinko Wed 07-Mar-18 09:37:34

Interesting to see this list of all the ways we could possibly get it wrong! hmm

I agree with Agus.

I like the PGW quote.

NanaandGrampy Wed 07-Mar-18 09:40:54

are you selling something OP ?

wildswan16 Wed 07-Mar-18 09:45:31

Well I suppose stopping in mid-sentence while one checks that one is not committing any of the 21 sins of apology would at least defuse the situation for a while.

Anniebach Wed 07-Mar-18 09:50:12

Doubts janeiansworth.

LiveLaughLaove Wed 07-Mar-18 09:57:14

From this blog, we can see that, the vast majority of the posts address estranged mothers and sons, with lesser cases of an estranged mother’s vs daughters. A higher percentage of moms also state how they, “don’t know what they did wrong.” I looked at the men’s post. They seem to be getting along fine, so there’s obviously a disconnect somewhere. Why are mothers so estranged? Many of us don’t know what we did? Why? As we pass the blame to the younger generation, blame your sons for not having a back bone or blame the DIL for brainwashing, who is setting the example for our older generation, which the younger ones ought to look up to? Again this is case specific, and does not apply to all.

glammanana Wed 07-Mar-18 09:57:55

How do I apologise for not reading all the OPs post I'm exhausted.

sodapop Wed 07-Mar-18 10:01:12

Me too glammanana so early in the day to be patronised.

Agus Wed 07-Mar-18 10:08:30

Okay, you have had your say.

Stop goading posters from another thread just to get a response!

LiveLaughLaove Wed 07-Mar-18 10:16:21

But why are people so angered by the truth?

Craicon Wed 07-Mar-18 10:19:32

Couldn’t be bothered to read such a long winded rambling first post but wondered if there was any real point to it?

nanaK54 Wed 07-Mar-18 10:19:51

Oh I do love a lecture hmm

MissAdventure Wed 07-Mar-18 10:20:18

Any one of your points could be true, maybe all of them in some cases. Also, maybe none.

LiveLaughLaove Wed 07-Mar-18 10:22:05

Thought I was going to help in the re-conciliatory process by highlighting the main forms apologies that would further lead to alienation, whilst helping in more sincere apology techniques. Some are sounding extremely offended despite me stating that this was case very specific, and as such did not apply to all cases.

annodomini Wed 07-Mar-18 10:22:25

Instead of going on about estrangement between mothers, sons and DiLs, why not explore the reasons why a considerable number of mothers do have a good relationship with their DiLs? Perhaps as we have no 'beef' about the relationship we are simply the silent majority.

Cherrytree59 Wed 07-Mar-18 10:27:02

LLL How do you make an apologise.
Do you pick one from your list
Or do you have profound apology that would be advantageous to all us Grannies
while we suck our eggs