Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Grandchildren

(38 Posts)
weegina Tue 20-Mar-18 09:45:38

We have an 8yr old grand daughter who is allowed to take part in adult conversations and corrects adults when she likes. She seems to control her life and will wear what she wants - even if it's inappropriate for the weather or occasion. The parents seem to include her in their private conversations so she knows when they row or when they have run out of money or when they are going to get paid etc. How do we cope better with an 8yr old that thinks she is 20yrs old? Any tips?

Nannarose Wed 11-Apr-18 14:08:16

I really don't have a clue from OP how inappropriate the child is, how well she behaves generally, and whether she has responsibilities beyond her years.
I can picture A:
a bright child, interested in the world and learning about it, trying out her own way of doing things, learning that life isn't always perfect and developing the skills to deal with it.
B:
an anxious child who can only cope with her anxieties by directing the adults in her life.

I'd add that I only recognise 2 forms of 'inappropriate' clothing:
1. likely to cause offence to others
2. likely to result in serious discomfort - eg: if a child goes out in the rain inadequately dressed, for a short walk, returning to a warm house, I'd let them learn a lesson. If we're off for a whole day in the mountains, returning to tent, I'd be very firm - but actually I never needed to be, because they knew how important it was!

Also, I think as GPs, I gree with those who say 'don't criticise the parents' BUT if it impacts on you, when you have the care of her, then you need to talk to them about guidelines.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 11-Apr-18 14:35:05

Our generation grew up knowing we would be told off if we dared to either interrupt or correct a grown-up.

As a teacher I often in the early years swallowed a tart retort when an pupil corrected me, then I taught myself to reply politely. If the pupil was correct and I was wrong I said so; if I was less sure, I said I would look it up and find out who was right. And I did so, telling the class the next time what I had found out and which of us was in the right.

Interrupting is another matter IMO - it is always rude and inconsiderate, and no-one should be allowed or allow themselves to make a habit of it.

Discussing grown up problems with children or in front of them has to be done very carefully, and IMO should not be done unless you are absolutely sure the child can understand the problem, not feel he or she is being asked to take sides against the other parent, etc. etc.

paddyann Wed 11-Apr-18 15:33:43

GrandetanteJE65 when my son was at primary school he came home distressed because he had been the only child in the class to get a question wrong.When my OH and I looked at his answer we were shocked as his answer was right.I sent a letter to the teacher informing her HER information was out of date and consequently all the others in the class had the wrong answer
Far better for any child to be able to hold his ground when he knows when he is right .I have no problem with my children or GC correcting an adult if that adult is giving them the wrong information.

Nannarose Wed 11-Apr-18 15:35:15

Yes, I'm really not sure from the original post if the child is being dragged into adult problems, or if she is
being taught about budgeting, waiting for pay day etc. We always tried to talk to our children about what could be afforded, how to plan spending, saving etc.
I learned about budgeting from my mother and am very glad that I did - but when my dad lost his job, I was assured that we would keep our home and have enough to eat. My dad said that I could still go out that weekend, and we'd talk about pocket money the following week. I was about 10, and glad to be part of the solution.

willa45 Wed 11-Apr-18 16:00:35

I too have an eight year old granddaughter who often interrupts adult conversations. She has gotten into trouble for that on many occasions.

The problem isn't that an adult can't be wrong or mistaken, the problem is the way most children go about 'correcting' perceived wrongs. A child doesn't always know how to filter or sugarcoat unpleasant truths and the result ends up being confrontational and disrespectful.

Children who aren't taught manners at an early age, will invariably struggle.....either that or until life ends up teaching them the hard way!

Hm999 Wed 11-Apr-18 16:59:35

I think kids should be given the responsibility of being a young adult when appropriate, but correcting adults and butting in would be rude if they were adult. However I am disproportionately irritated at seeing little girls wandering round the shops dressed as Snow White, it really annoys me!

Nannarose Wed 11-Apr-18 17:13:40

Lots of people irritate me in the way they dress, but I'm struggling to think of any occasion that I've actually been offended. Certainly not by Disney princesses, although I hope they grow up to realise how they are being manipulated by a huge corporation.

Elrel Wed 11-Apr-18 21:42:37

MargaretX, Grandma70s and threexnanny - I agree that children should correct adults when they are wrong. It should, of course, be done courteously rather than in a 'point scoring' manner.
I heard a child correct his teacher when they told him he was wrong to write that the sun was a star. It was, they said, a planet. I queried this to get a shrugged 'They think everything in the sky is a planet!' I doubt that the children did although apparently their teacher did.

gummybears Thu 12-Apr-18 10:15:36

I was trained strictly to never interrupt or contradict adults.

As a result, I haven't said anything to either grandmother that wasn't "everything is fine thanks, how are you" and "no I don't have any news" in twenty five years.

Indeed I have not spoken to one of them directly in fifteen years and speak to the other one directly only when unavoidable a few times a year.

It's not a conversation when only one person is allowed to have an opinion. We never developed our conversation when I was young so we have no foundation for it in adulthood, and there is no point in me just sitting there to listen to diatribes about unmarried mothers and immigration in silence.

jenpax Thu 12-Apr-18 10:49:58

Growing up I did have strict parents who did not tolerate rudeness or insolence however we were a political family (father had been a prospective Parliamentary candidate) and so political and ethical discussions were actively encouraged and opposing views were expressed. The only rule was that views be expressed politely and that you waited your turn to speak!
I bought my own 3 up the same way,so that they felt their views and opinions if argued well and considered were of equal merit and right to be heard. I still think this was right and I see my DGC are being raised the same way?

Nannarose Thu 12-Apr-18 13:50:08

As OP has not replied, I think we're still unclear about this child's situation. But I too was brought up to think, to discuss, always to understand another's point of view. Recently I have had 2 long chats with old school friends, who said how they had envied my family, and how they could see the engagement that I had in both my children, and my grandchildren.
I has never realised this. I wouldn't say that I 'envied' either of them, as I'd been brought up not to look at people in that way. But I was aware that both came from wealthier backgrounds and had 'things' I didn't. I also knew that I didn't much like either of their dads, who I thought overbearing and boring - seems I was right!
Now of course, lively discussions are not the same as interrupting, and respecting children's views is not the same as giving them their own way.
I miss my parents and grandparents a great deal. My grandfather has been on my mind recently. The last conversation I had with him, 20 years ago, was about the danger of Putin!

newnanny Thu 12-Apr-18 14:56:23

There is no excuse for rudeness at any age however I don't mind being corrected by anyone if I say something that is wrong. Children can be right on occasion. As a child I new my parents did not have a lot of money and therefore I did not ask for or expect things I knew they could not afford to give me. I would not give detailed information about finances or argue in front of a young child though.