Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Fair shares

(79 Posts)
MawBroon Tue 27-Mar-18 23:40:01

DD1 married first and had her three children before DD2 who has one little boy.
I had just retired when DGS1 was born, Paw was well enough to be left for the occasional night and I enjoyed doing babysits and helping with childcare.
Fast forward nearly 7 years and I am not needed anything like as much for the older 3 DGCs although I have had them overnight a couple of times. I no longer have Paw to worry about so in theory I am freer but I have Hattie and have not had a great winter health wise.
I have helped out with DGS3 (DD2’s little boy) recently when DD was working in Stratford, but do less than I did with the others and never overnight, he is much clingier, perhaps his age, perhaps because he has no siblings.
My point is that if I have been “booked”by one DD and then have to disappoint the other I just feel so guilty
Is it a mother’s /granny’s place to feel guilty whatever I do?
Or should I just harden my heart and let it flow over me?
Neither DD has actually said anything so perhaps I am imagining it?

kittylester Wed 28-Mar-18 06:52:44

And me, Maw.

We just say yes to everyone if we possibly can. grin

Since DD1 had her first (now aged 11) I have had him, and then his sister) once a week during term time - now only after school. They only live 15 miles away so it's not difficult.

DD2 lives in Herts and has 2 daughters - they come to stay most holidays!

Dd3 has 2 and is expecting no 3. Following her seperation from The Idiot, we have had hers a lot and often overnight.

DS2 is the only one of our sons to have children. They are his partner's children and have a much closer relationship with her parents.

I also often feel that we are being 'unfair' but we tell them that 'if we can, we will',

One thing that both dh and I work hard at doing is having time alone with our daughters.

I've said before that my gp (general practitioner!!) once told me that a mother's place is in the wrong - it seems a Ma's place is too.grin

M0nica Wed 28-Mar-18 07:39:36

I think useless guilt is a waste of time and effort. I only have one set of DGC, but I also had a daughter who is single and childless. DC know we love them and will give them help whenever it is needed and do not have favourites,

When DD had a bad accident just as we were going to spend a week providing holiday cover for DGC, DD got priority, and we rushed to her bedside and DS and wife had to reorganise their holiday cover. They completely understood. Life is full such decisions in all kinds of circumstances. Make them and move on.

Guilt in those circumstances, is just vanity.

morethan2 Wed 28-Mar-18 08:19:20

I feel guilty what ever I do,but I think it’s more to do with me than my children. As I’ve got older I realise I’ve spent a good deal of time saying ‘sorry’ blaming myself. For example If I’m driving and I hear somone beeping their horn I automatically think I’ve done somthing wrong. It’s only when a passenger says that wasn’t meant for you it was somone on the next road. Since my DiL diagnosis I’ve prioritise that family over everything and everyone else. My MiL was ill and died during this period of time. We were very close and I didn’t visit or support her as much as I’d have liked. My other two children and their families have been a bit neglected too. I feel really guilty but somtimes we have no option and have to prioritise those most in need. There’s only one of us and physically, emotionally and financially we can only be stretched so far. I think Maw like a lot of our generation we’re givers and programmerd to feel guilty.

sodapop Wed 28-Mar-18 08:56:34

That was a bit harsh MOnica
I agree morethan we were programmed for guilt. We feel guilty sitting down to take a break, guilty if we don't help our children or relatives, it is definitely a woman thing. I have learned to say no but its hard.

Greyduster Wed 28-Mar-18 09:08:36

I have only one grandchild - DD’s child - and I can’t remember a time when we have said no to childcare requests, but she has always been at pains to stress that we mustn’t feel we can’t say no and we have never felt taken for granted. Thus far, it has never interfered with anything we have wanted to do for ourselves. He is growing up fast and soon enough he won’t need us to be there for him after school, so we are making hay while the sun shines. DS has no children of his own and his stepsons are now young adults. He used to have something of a jaundiced view of the amount of childcare we provide for GS, but I did offer to look after his boys when they were younger on an occasion when they were stuck for childcare, but they made other arrangements. It was early in their relationship with us, so probably understandable, but we’ve always been prepared to step up to the plate for them as well as for GS.

Pamaga Wed 28-Mar-18 09:31:55

A friend of mine once told me that all Mums/Grans have a 'guilt gland'. Mine kicked in when I was a working mum and felt pangs of guilt about not being there for the kids 24/7. Now they're grown up they don't feel they missed out at all by my absences and that the benefits of extra income outweighed any feelings of maternal deprivation! We are very hard on ourselves sometimes!

radicalnan Wed 28-Mar-18 09:33:35

Why guilt? Guilt is absolutely pointless unless your actions are deliberate and designed to cause a problem.

Life is like that, we can't be in two places at once, or do more than we are capable of, or finance things beyond our means.

There are lots of other things you can feel, frustrated by circumstances or limitations or disappoited at lack of energy or resources....but guilt?? Save guilt for the stuff you could have avoided.

dragonfly46 Wed 28-Mar-18 09:35:55

I had a similar thing recently. I had looked after DD's dog for a weekend and when she got back she asked if I would keep him til after the following weekend as they were away again. Meanwhile my DS, DiL
, DGD and cats had asked if they could come to stay and had arranged the second weekend as they didn't want to come with the dog. I told my daughter she had put me in a very difficult position but I had promised my son so told her I would bring the dog back after the first weekend. I did get the muttering 'you always loved my brother more than me' and I did feel incredibly guilty but as it happened it all worked out well and my DD has found a lovely lady who is willing to look after dog (for a fee) and has now realised that I am not the only person to call on!

paddyann Wed 28-Mar-18 09:42:30

no guilt here ,I just take them all ,15 down to 7 .We're lucky to have enough spare rooms so the girls can have their own space on the days they dont get on.Not a common occurence now but they used to argue when they were smaller and GS 15 has his own room here .

MawBroon Wed 28-Mar-18 09:47:28

Guilt in those circumstances is just vanity

Well thanks a bunch for another “let’s have a go at Maw, M0nica
So it is vain to want to treat one’s children even handedly?
To give help when it is needed but trying not to prioritise one child over another?
Did you (or anybody else) not try to buy similar value presents when your children when they were young?
I am heartily sick of the spiky, aggressive and condemnatory tone of some of the responses on GN these days - not just this one to me, but it’s like entering a lions’ den sometimes.

cornergran Wed 28-Mar-18 09:48:50

I think I feel disappointment more than guilt. I'd love to be able to do it all, we aren't asked very often for our Littlest as other family are closer geographically and there are a lot of them. Because of their family situation we are asked to help regularly with older grandchildren. Should a request come for Littlest and we are booked already the disappointment is huge.

westerlywind Wed 28-Mar-18 09:54:49

I wonder why we feel so guilty over having our DGC. We seem to be programmed to do a lot of child care. The problems start when the "helping relatives" only goes one way. How often are GPs (grandparents) babysitting but not otherwise communicated with or visited. Will the DCs be as attentive when we are old or otherwise in need of help however temporarily? I have known a lady of my DPs generation who was babysitting 3 DGC for years but when she became permanently ill she was shipped off to a nursing home.
I was expected to babysit about 30 hours a week but I could not be accompanied to a hospital appointment which involved treatment after which driving is not advised. It was not during DC's working hours. When I stated my unhappiness over this I got a load of verbal abuse by text so proof is there.
It has to be a two way street.

Overthehills Wed 28-Mar-18 10:01:18

I felt exactly the same as you Maw (and about entering the lion’s den!) but I told DS how I felt - he lives five hours drive away so we physically can’t be as involved, but that made no difference to how I felt - and he told me not to be silly! DDiL said the same. You’ve had so much on your plate recently that I’m surprised you have enough energy for just breathing in and out. Please don’t worry about this (if possible!) just enjoy GC when you can. And maybe tell AC how you’re feeling? flowers

MawBroon Wed 28-Mar-18 10:05:33

To be fair, my DDs have always taken the point of view “my children, my problem” especially when Paw’s health issues made things difficult or impossible and I have friends who do much, much more than I. DD1 has a nanny for her working days and DD2 combines nursery and SIL to cover her “normal” working days, so there is no regular commitment. It is the occasional request where I would just love to be able to say Yes every time as the early childhood years are so soon over.

Squiffy Wed 28-Mar-18 10:08:39

Guilt in those circumstances is just vanity

Vanity? confused I give up sad

lizzypopbottle Wed 28-Mar-18 10:11:12

Why not just share your babysitting arrangements with both daughter's as soon as they're made, Maw? If both daughters know in advance that you're babysitting for one of them on a particular date, the other one won't ask. Then you won't feel guilty about disappointing either of them.

ReadyMeals Wed 28-Mar-18 10:13:44

Don't worry about feeling guilt, it's just a sign you have a good active conscience and moral tone. Although it's an uncomfortable feeling, and often kicks in when it's not strictly due, it's the glue that holds our society together and keeps us progressing as a human species.

GabriellaG Wed 28-Mar-18 10:14:01

Hmm ?
I never feel guilty about decisions I make and find it easy to say a polite version of 'no' without feeling obliged to give a reason.
My AC live too far away for me to babysit in the evenings or aftercm school and anyway, my youngest grandchildren are in their middle teens and GGC have parents who can afford for mum to be a homemaker.
I thoroughly enjoy the times we spend together but they don't trespass on my time nor that of the other GPs.

Heather51 Wed 28-Mar-18 10:14:50

What has happened to GN - it seems that a lot of posters are looking for slights and insults needlessly. IMHO I didn’t take Monica’s comments as a dig at Maw just a rather curtly expressed opinion. This is not a dig at Maw either, it’s an observation that GN no longer seems to be the discussion forum it once was, where posters could banter back and forth without all the general petty nastiness. What a sad turn of events sad. Do others miss the old GN?

Greciangirl Wed 28-Mar-18 10:18:46

My daughter quite often requires me to babysit 2year old at short notice and then I have to cancel my own social arrangements
I don’t always want to do this, but if I say no I feel extremely guilty. It’s so silll. We shouldn’t be made to feel like this and unless we have hard hearts, I’m afraid nothing much will change.

MawBroon Wed 28-Mar-18 10:18:58

Take your point lizzy (I am sure it is kindly meant) and the family do know about my other regular commitments, but it is not always a case of conflicting child care and I don’t quite feel I need to share the entire contents of my diary or calendar with them all of the time. Somehow that seems a bit “poor old dear” - I am still an independent person in my own right! Bottom line is I think, being able to say No without guilt. I know I am not Supergran (but perhaps I would like to begrin )

MawBroon Wed 28-Mar-18 10:22:11

Perhaps not a “slight” or “insult” Heather51 but a put down nevertheless. Sometimes just one put down can be one too many.
hmm

Teddy123 Wed 28-Mar-18 10:23:35

I sometimes feel 'awkward' as opposed to guilty if I can't help out. So awkward that sometimes I'll change my own plans to fit in and do after school care because it suits the parents. Perhaps they should feel guilty/awkward for moving the goalposts. In an emergency I'm sure all of us would be there for our family, friends etc.

I often literally LOL remembering the one occasion that my mum agreed to babysit.
First night out since the the twins were born. About 10 months old. Rang my mum to check everything was fine. NO come home, they're awake blah blah. So home by 9.30 whilst husband stayed at the party!
I honestly wasn't cross with my mum. She wanted to be at home, probably tired and couldn't cope. I understood that and never asked again. My mum didn't feel guilty and I think she was right to make it clear if she didn't want to do something. She was a wonderful adored Grandma!!!

craftynan Wed 28-Mar-18 10:26:03

Yes, I feel guilty if I have to say no. I can accommodate them all at my house but as one of my dc’s lives further away I sometimes have to go there to stay. If the other needs me I feel terrible saying no. Easy said , but try not to beat yourself up over it, Ma flowers