Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Can a baby be TOO good?

(64 Posts)
Flaxseed Sun 20-May-18 10:25:53

I have been reluctant to post this as I fear everyone will think I’m mad! But it’s making me really anxious (I do suffer anxiety and am currently awaiting CBT)
My GS is now just over 8 months. He’s reaching his milestones albeit slightly later than DD friends babies.
He has always slept like a dream. He’s so contented and passive.
My DD’s were not like him at all (although DD2 - GS Mum was more content than her sister)
They certainly never slept so well and were often fussy and irritable.

GS was unwell last week and it was barely noticeable! He slept a bit more, wasn’t as smiley, and felt warm. These were the only indications that he was in fact running a high temperature.
Even being unwell, he wasn’t overly fussy.

This weekend his other grandparents looked after him and said to DD that they had never looked after such an easy, contented baby.

Now, I’m sure most grandparents wouldn’t consider this being a problem - but I have all sorts going round in my head.

I worry that there’s something wrong with him i.e Autism (my nephew is autistic and I can remember my sister saying he was a ‘text book baby’), or that he’ll be developmentally delayed.

I’m pretty sure I am being irrational and that I will be told to enjoy him being such a joy. But I just cannot shake off this fear confused
It probably doesn’t help that they realised the placenta was failing when DD had an emergency c section for severe pre eclampsia (a previous post back in August where I was stressed out again!)

Can anyone reassure me that they had really contented babies who grew up to be fine please?

Mercedes55 Mon 21-May-18 16:53:54

My son was such an easy baby, he's now 40 and I still tell everyone how angelic he was. He could be wide awake and I'd put him down to bed and he would never cry, he'd wake up in the morning and just lie in his bed and not make a sound until either myself or my now ex went in to get him.
We didn't have anyone to babysit for us, so we were forever taking him out until late at night and he'd just fall asleep on someone's sofa with a blanket on him, no complaining at all.
First day at nursery he was as calm as anything, same goes for school in general, just never had any problems with him at all.
I'm a very anxious person, had a terrible pregnancy with him as I would lie awake at night imaging all sorts of horror stories about giving birth and was convinced that my stress levels were so high that I'd be bound to give birth to an anxious child, couldn't be further from the truth smile

Jalima1108 Mon 21-May-18 17:17:49

My second baby was like this too - such a contrast to No 1. Contented, happy, never cried and rather late with milestones. In fact he was very similar to his older cousin so I didn't have any worries at all.
Both have grown up into intelligent men with degrees and good careers.

Just because some babies who may have problems display these characteristics does not mean that the converse is true.

sazz1 Mon 21-May-18 18:16:36

My 2 boys were very different as one was placid and well behaved and the other was the total opposite. As for milestones my eldest didn't walk until 19 5mths but he now has an electronics degree. Don't worry about it as time will tell and there's nothing you can do about it even if something is wrong at this young age.

Flaxseed Mon 21-May-18 18:35:00

Thank you to everyone who has commented on this thread.

I do feel reassured and am determined to enjoy him!

Thanks for the comments re CBT too.
Can’t remember who was questioning why there seems to be so many people suffering anxiety these days.
Obviously, I don’t know the answer - however I do know that mine stems from 3 life changing events that happened over a two year period.
Until that point I was actually pretty chilled grin

GannyRowe Mon 21-May-18 20:12:27

Bless you, I know what you mean, you can hardly believe it they are so easy to cope with!
I have always felt that children sort of instinctively know what their parents and grandparents can cope with, and so go that far, but not too much further!
For example my daughter slept like a dream as a baby, and I only had one totally sleepless night, ever. I think she knew Mummy had a breaking point if she didn’t get any sleep. But later in her life between say 11 and 16 she was hell on legs! At one time I said “you know I love you, and will ALWAYS love you no matter what? But just now, I dont LIKE you very much!” She also gave me worried times in her later teens and 20’s, but we got through. She’s a Mum of two herself now, they are 2 and 4, and she is learning just how hard the stages are. But no matter how easy or how hard they are, it’s worth it. So be grateful if yours is easy now, and brace yourself for when they are not, as it surely will come at some stage or another,

rocketstop Mon 21-May-18 20:27:41

Flaxseed, please don't worry, my son was exactly like this, smiley, placid and calm, the total opposite to me in fact ! Thirty odd years on and he's still the same. You are lucky to have such a Grandson.It's not easy to understand if you are highly strung yourself, but rejoice in it, he's fine !

cornishclio Mon 21-May-18 20:48:14

I would not worry at all. No two babies are the same. My DD1 was very contented, easy baby and child although more difficult as a teenager. My DD2 was a difficult baby but brilliant teenager. She has a DD1 who was a difficult baby to settle and now at almost 3 is adorable but on the go all the time. Her DD2 who is 4 weeks old is so far so chilled out and contented so completely different so far.

You may find your GS gets a little bit more difficult in the toddler years. If he is hitting milestones more or less on time then there shouldn't be anything to worry about. My DD2 had pre eclampsia with both her pregnancies but no indication that this affected her DDs beyond being induced/delivered early. I had pre eclampsia with my DD2 and again although I was induced 4 weeks early it didn't affect her.

Grannyben Mon 21-May-18 21:06:28

My dd was a calm and contented baby. She is now mum to a 15 month old and I have never seen such a laid back baby in all my life. He goes to bed at 5pm and gets up at 7 the next morning. He loves his food and yet he never seems to put on much weight. He looks like he hasn't got any hair although it is actually coming through a beautiful auburn colour. He doesn't walk unaided yet but he has managed a few steps before sitting back down. If I'm honest, I would say he is probably a good 2 months behind many children the same age.
However, what we do have is a darling little boy who sleeps for England, shovels his good down him, crawls at a rate of knots, babbles to himself and smiles constantly.
My dgs will catch up in due course and when your little one is 2 and having a meltdown you will look back and wonder what you were worried about. They are all different, you just enjoy your little one

glammagran Mon 21-May-18 21:34:27

Had my first at 19. Delightfully easy and sunny child. Second was fairly hard going. Third (after 20 year age gap) total nightmare. Now I can say after 40 years, first is the hardest, second about the same and third is the easiest. I’ve learnt young children’s personalities are not necessarily any indicator of how they will turn out.

Deedaa Mon 21-May-18 23:26:49

None of my children or grandchildren could ever have been described as good or laid back and neither could I! But my grandmother used to tell me that she once took my mother to the doctor because she cried. The doctor pointed out that all babies cry and she said "This one doesn't!" it turned out the poor baby had Scarlet Fever. I will just add that my mother did not grow up to be quiet or laid back!

justwokeup Tue 22-May-18 01:10:15

DC2 had to be wakened to be fed, spent the day watching DC1, was placid and rarely cried - and is now in mid-30s and highly intelligent (with a very sharp tongue sometimes!). And yet it was DC2 I took to the baby clinic because I was so worried! I thought all little ones never slept like DC1. So you are not alone Flaxseed.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 22-May-18 10:20:58

Hope everything's all right, now and in the future. Hopefully it's just an indication of future personality.
My dear late husband was a quiet, contented baby who grew up to be a laid-back and likeable adult. His elder brother though was a naughty, difficult child who couldn't be left for five minutes. He grew up to be a right PITA, argumentative, always thought he was right and had to have the last word. He didn't get on with his mother which was a tragedy for them both. Psychiatrists would have a field day.

Floradora9 Tue 22-May-18 15:22:48

If a very small baby is too good it can be a warning sign. I had friends who were a nurse and a doctor who were thanking their lucky stars they had such an undemanding baby. One day they realised he was not good he was ill . They sure felt silly to have missed the clues.