Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Grandson growing up.

(46 Posts)
magsmay55 Sun 24-Jun-18 08:08:01

Hi I am feeling very low and anxious I don't know if you will all think me stupid but my 16 yr old grandson has just had his prom and left school last week .my husband and l have played a big part in our grandchildren lives I have five grandchildren . I can't help feeling very sad what is wrong with me.

sluttygran Sun 24-Jun-18 12:21:22

It’s totally natural to feel sad when children grow up and aren’t your dear babies any more, so no, there isn’t anything wrong with you.
However, if your sadness is so extreme that it’s badly affecting your quality of life, it might be worth a visit to your GP for a check up, and to make sure that you don’t have clinical depression.
Depression can arise from many sources, not always the most obvious thing that’s on your mind, and taking some positive action always helps.
I hope everything settles down soon!

Apricity Sun 24-Jun-18 12:44:17

So much lovely advice from Grans. This good old saying applies as much to our grandchildren as it did to our children. We need to give them roots and wings and a reason to return. A job well done and a new season unfolds. ?

jenpax Sun 24-Jun-18 12:53:15

I got sad when DD3 and DGS aged 7 moved out! They had lived with me almost for his entire life and it was a real wrench! But I realised that everything has a season and there is a season for everything so it’s just another phase in my life.
My friend who is now a great grandmother can testify to that?

Nelliemoser Sun 24-Jun-18 12:57:42

I felt sad when My DGS1 started school. We do see DGS2 about very two weeks but all we see of DGS1 now is about an hour of him when he gets home from school.

We have about two more years of DGS2, then they will both be at school.
We live 100 miles away round trip so we are going to have to find other times to see them.
I understand how you feel. School has stolen my time with DGSs.

Luckygirl Sun 24-Jun-18 13:20:29

Transitions always throw up emotions - sometimes unexpected ones. Be glad about the role you have played in bringing him to this point. flowers

notanan2 Sun 24-Jun-18 13:25:53

Of course it's sad its a big change/end of am era

You can be sad and grateful at the same time @ the few goady posts. It is not mutually exclusive and in fact the OPs sadness is probably BECAUSE she is so grateful for what she has had!

lesley4357 Sun 24-Jun-18 13:55:51

Separation anxiety. He's moving onto a new phase of life and you're probably feeling like he won't need you now he's older. You'll still have the relationship, it will just be different. I empathise as I went through 6 months of very low mood when my granddaughter started school. I just had to keep reminding myself that it was a positive thing which would lead to a different, but still close, relationship. It's hard to see your babies grow up! ☺

123kitty Sun 24-Jun-18 14:53:11

It's rather strange but I'm finding every aspect of my grandchildren ageing harder for me than going through the same stages with my own children. Feel some comfort from reading others on this post, thank you all.

Feelingmyage55 Sun 24-Jun-18 16:17:02

Change is so difficult sometimes. Last week I had a major family problem and decided that my oh and I were too close to see clearly. Who would help but treat the situation with the necessary privacy but understanding of our sensitivies? Our children! Not children any more, grown, sensible and sensitive adults. Got sound advice and some real kindness. (and clearly ready to take on a new role) The world has moved on, but in a nice way. Soon this young MAN can be called on for support - this can be mutual. He paints your hallway. You make tea, chat and give a little guidance. Once the worst of the sadness passes look forward to a different balance in the relationship, one that will have a different depth to it. If you continue to feel so sad perhaps a chat to your gp or vicar, if you have one. I do hope you feel better soon but come back to and let us know.

Breda Sun 24-Jun-18 17:20:46

If you let them go with love, kindness and good grace they will never forget it and they will always come back.
My four children did and my eldest grandchildren have done the same. The relationship may change a little but it will never diminish.

thecatgrandma Sun 24-Jun-18 18:13:12

It’s normal of course to feel that way, but I think you have to hope that the foundations you have laid will ensure you still have the rapport with them that you’ve always had. It’s just different, you have to grow with them, adapt to understand their world, their needs and interests, as you did with your children.

luluaugust Sun 24-Jun-18 18:13:31

Its the second round of empty nest syndrome I'm afraid, perfectly natural but not always easy to come to terms with. I hope you can feel better soon, I found it difficult when the DGC I had looked after went off to school but I do enjoy hearing all that is going on now they are teenagers.

magsmay55 Sun 24-Jun-18 19:20:24

Thanks so much to everyone for taking the time to help me and you have all done that today. I will come back and let you know how things are going. Thank you again .
Mags.

LuckyFour Sun 24-Jun-18 19:59:25

Two of my grandchildren are now in their late teens and I had a lot of involvement when they were younger. The other two live further away so don't see them so much but they are also growing up fast. I miss all of them. It just makes me feel really guilty that we moved away from our home town when our children were young thereby depriving our parents from seeing their grandchildren often. My parents never complained, bless 'em.

newnanny Sun 24-Jun-18 21:04:04

Time certainly flies by. You are probably feeling sentimental and remembering when he was small and needed you a lot. If you have had a big in put into his life he will never forget that. When he gets married you will be there and over time he will be presenting you with great grandchildren so you do still have so much to look forward to. My dgs will be starting school in another year and it only seems like a few months ago he was born. Try to keep cheerful and encouraging to him he still needs your support.

grannybuy Sun 24-Jun-18 23:35:38

My youngest GD will be starting school in August. We've been having a day a week together since she was a week old, plus other times and sleepovers. I'm already feeling sad at this 'end of era'. I'll have plenty to keep myself occupied, but will miss the joy of her company. It's just life, but it's a blow at the time.

Suzyb Sun 24-Jun-18 23:59:20

I’m 68 and 18 months ago became a granny for the first time. Even though I’m active and in good health I honestly thought I was too old to be a first time granny. Couldn’t be further from the truth and I love looking after our little bundle of joy. I do feel sad for some of my friends who had their grandchildren in their 50’s and are now feeling redundant. When is the best time to become grandparents I ask myself?

Urmstongran Mon 25-Jun-18 08:50:45

mabon1 that is heartbreaking news indeed. No words can ease the pain and sadness you must all be experiencing. ?

melp1 Mon 25-Jun-18 15:07:19

Don't worry if you've been involved with your grandchildren when their young they will have experienced some good memories. I've always been available as much as I could with all 4 of mine. (8,10,13 & 19 now )
I know I have some lovely memories of both my grandmas (unfortunately both widows when I came along).
We'd booked a cottage in Cornwall in July that has 2 double bedrooms - seemed a waste, so asked my grandson & his girlfriend if they like to join us, their on holiday from university. They've said yes, looked after him alot when he was young but didn't see him as much as he got older with college, exams, girls and part-time work taking up alot of his time.
As long as you make an effort to keep in touch and be available if needed - and don't forget they have busy lives.

Synonymous Mon 25-Jun-18 15:36:04

mabon1 so very sorry to hear of your sadness. What a blessing your DGS has you to help him through it all, just look after yourself too though and if you need to talk it through there are those on here with similar experiences who will listen and help if they can. Big (((hugs)))and flowers