Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Where do I start?

(80 Posts)
Sue0308 Sun 14-Oct-18 09:26:09

My sons parting gift from school 4 years ago was to find out he was going to be a dad! He didn’t know the girl and is testament to the fact it only takes once. Fast forward 3.5 years and our adorable GD who has lived with us since she was born with our son is wonderful. It certainly wasn’t part of our plan to be essentially parenting again in our 50’s but despite the challenges she has filled our life with joy. Our GD’s mother is not really involved and has an extremely chaotic lifestyle which unfortunately seems to be getting worse and we imagine will at some point drop out of our lives completely. Our sons early life journey was not what was planned even by himself but he’s been trying as best he can and has fortunately working since he left school. Earlier this year, a new young lady arrived on the scene and quickly became a big part of his life, my husband and I could spot some early signs from her of ‘wanting’ to be a mother despite having just completed one year of college. We warned our son to be careful and consider the consequences as he is still so young. At the same time, he is struggling with some mental health issues which are probably associated with becoming a parent too quickly. He is receiving help for this. 24 hours ago our worst fear was confirmed when he told us quietly that his partner of 7 months (18 years old) is indeed pregnant albeit very early on. My husband and I are totally numb about this and have no idea even what to say or feel! They have no real means to be independent, council lists are so long for homes, she doesn’t work and neither are emotionally equipped. As a side, the girlfriends mother (who was young when she had her) has a 3 month old a 2 year old and a new husband which is why this young lady came to stay with us as she felt pushed out. My husband takes early retirement in just over 2 years and it was our plan to downsize and travel.. our 3 year old sees us as very much her parents, which we don’t mind at all and have embraced but where on earth does this new pregnancy leave us??? We feel let down again that we haven’t had the ‘joy’ of becoming grandparents but are left anxious and disappointed yet again. We can’t change things but where on earth do we go from here to ensure all are protected and safe. As a side, I have 2 companies that I run and my husband holds a very senior role in the public sector. You couldn’t actually make this up...

Madgran77 Sat 20-Oct-18 20:14:33

Sue0308 I have sent you a PM flowers

LiveLaughLaove Sun 21-Oct-18 02:08:04

"Um....I give up trying to explain!! "

Good! Cause you weren't really explaining anything in the first place. All you were doing was ranting aimlessly, picking unnecessary fights, dishing out advice that you can't even follow, and disagreeing with my posts whilst forgetting that you'd agreed with others on similar sentiments. So no, there's nothing you were explaining at all. No need to make it look like one party is "misunderstanding," whilst you're the one flip flopping all over the place, and aimlessly attacking other posters when this post isn't even about you.

You tell people to move on whilst your struggling to have the last word. You do realize that none of this would have even occurred if you'd been mature enough to ignore my post? Especially after our last encounter which you conveniently claim to have forgotten about just cause you don't want to come across as the antagonizer that you are?

There are so many posts on Gransnet, there's no need to gravitate towards my every post. It's not hard to ignore me and read the next posters comment. It really isn't. I know this for I easily ignore all your comments anytime I come across your name and move right on. That's what mature people do. Immaturity on the other hand would involve the manner on which you constantly try to pick and twist anything that I post. Get over yourself and move on already!!! Why are you so bent on constantly arguing with someone you don't even know?

But its great that you chose to apologize to the OP, for my comments that you aimlessly chose to attack weren't even any of your business to begin with as neither was geared towards you. But you tried to place all forms of fault onto it, and twist its original content in an attempt to try and make it fit right into the negative narrative you had for it in mind. ( I know for a fact that you remember trying to do this before - but keep convincing yourself how you forgot all of it). I hope you find peace and happiness in your life! A complete stranger shouldn't really make you feel or act this way.confused.

Dolcelatte Sun 21-Oct-18 05:40:44

Sue, what a worrying situation for you, but I agree with the previous posters who say this is actually your son's problem not yours. I have no doubt that your precious DGD brings much joy to your lives, but you should not be the prime carers.

By taking on the parental role, you have enabled your son to shirk his responsibilities. I am willing to bet that if he had taken care of his child, as he should have done, he would not have made the same 'mistake' twice.

You have already done more than your share here and have effectively postponed your plans for retirement in order to take on another mother's child. I find it odd that the mother is not involved. However, it seems that the second GF does want to be a mother, so why can't she look after her baby when he or she is born.

I would give practical help and support but you would be mad, in my opinion, to take on the task of raising another child well into your 60s. And what about your poor husband? At a time when he thought your parenting days were over and you enjoy time together, travel etc, he is put back into the role of father - he has done it once, and the love for your DGC has meant that he probably does not regret it, but I would be surprised if he wants to do it again.

Your son and his GF are adults, stop being so involved and let them make adult decisions and take on their own responsibilities. Otherwise, you are going to end up with a whole nursery full of children and no retirement at all.

NatashaGransnet (GNHQ) Sun 21-Oct-18 10:35:52

Hi all,

Please can we get the discussion back on track and refrain from personal attacks. There's been a few posts which are close to crossing a line so it'd be great if we could get back on topic smile

Thanks!