Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Dil won’t let me be grandma

(213 Posts)
Sadgranma Thu 01-Nov-18 19:43:32

I am on my knees hoping for a miracle. Ever since my grand baby was born, my sil has been doing every thing in her power to keep me away.

She doesn’t invite me around when she’s on leave - and then I get stuck seeing pictures of HER parents getting to come over on social media.

She doesn’t allow anyone to post photos of my grandchild. I got reprimanded when I posted once after seeing HER post a photo.

And now she intends to keep my grandchild at home on Christmas morning when in the past she has come to my home to celebrate.

She’s booked my grandchild into full time daycare even when I told her I would happily care for him whenever she needed - whether it be 1 day a week or 5.

I feel pushed out and away and am not sure how to go about getting more alone time with my only grandchild.

willa45 Tue 06-Nov-18 13:17:42

Eglantine, thanks for your nice reply. Critical ? No, it didn't come across like that...not to me, at least.

knickas63 Thu 08-Nov-18 10:45:11

Sadgranma - I have what I consider to be a very big role in my grandchildren lives, but
, I am never there first thing Christmas morning. That is precious family time. I would have hated to have missed out on that myself. We get the afternoon, which I am more than happy with. Son an partner only every other year. Occasional family holiday, but they usually do their own thing. My DGCs were all breastfed, so never really had them without parents until they were older. I was/am allowed to bath and change nappies. You have a pretty good amount of time with your GC, much more than most. Don't ruin it by being demanding, or expecting even more! You are blessed.

Polly48 Thu 08-Nov-18 13:06:54

I can’t believe this post is still ongoing! sadgranma - do you still feel the same way, or have you tried to take on board any of what has been posted here? I hope so

DIL17 Thu 08-Nov-18 13:37:52

I doubt Sadgranma is coming back.

It sounds like she's used to getting her own way and is finding any reason to have pick at her DIL. Not once has she blamed her son who is also the parent.

alchemilla Thu 15-Nov-18 15:46:38

I rather think the OP isn't coming back. Some people have been overly forceful but I agree with the tenor of what the majority have said. OP sounds melodramatic ("cast aside" when she sees her GC every fortnight and is spending the majority of Christmas with them), and she's blaming her DiL for every refusal when most new mothers would think OP's demanding too much in the first place. It could be her son and DiL are concerned that if they give an inch she'll take a mile, given she says she's retired and lives 2 minutes away. CrazyH be careful you don't wear away your own welcome by asking so often when you can see the children or drop over. Wait to be asked. And if you are loud and you know it's not appreciated, why not tone it down?

Smileless2012 Thu 15-Nov-18 16:21:58

But that's the whole point alchemilla if crazy waited to be asked, she never would be and what on earth led you to the assumption that she's loudconfused.

Madgran77 Thu 15-Nov-18 16:35:17

"And if you are loud and you know it's not appreciated, why not tone it down?"

Did I miss Crazy saying that she is loud? confused

alchemilla Thu 15-Nov-18 16:46:50

Crazy said her DiL had never liked Crazy's loud family - I guess it is possible Crazy herself is quiet. But it doesn't sound as if Crazy is getting anywhere despite continuously asking to see her GC and asking to drop round. If she stopped doing it, she might find she's invited. If she's "literally tired out" with asking, they might be tired out of being pestered. Or she could ask her DS what would help.

Madgran77 Thu 15-Nov-18 22:20:51

Apologies I missed the comment about Crazy's loud family. Still doesn't necessarily mean that she is, but I now see the source of your comment. .

Alexmbuchholz Fri 16-Nov-18 04:12:17

Honestly this is probably where you are going wrong and why your relationship with your DIL is strained. No mother or wife wants or needs advice from her MIL. She wants to raise her children on her own without the advice and judgement from others, especially from her MIL. You’re not entitled to give her advice just because you want the best for your grandchild. Your job is to butt out, zip your lip and let her raise HER baby. You had your turn with your baby.

Blencathra Fri 16-Nov-18 06:43:25

I think the OP is all about my as if he is a possession and there lies the trouble. Why is time alone so important? Repair the relationship with DIL and there won't be a problem. At the moment I can see why she prefers full time daycare.

Lollin Fri 16-Nov-18 07:26:01

Apology in advance if I am wrong but is it possible that this is "a reverse" ? If not then OP you really need to listen as hard as it may seem your relationship will probably improve greatly if you step back as people keep saying. What do those around you say about your circumstances?