Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Sleeping issues

(111 Posts)
ClareAB Wed 30-Jan-19 15:32:49

My DS and DIL have a 22mth daughter. She is still breast feeding at night, up to five times.
My DS and DIL are both exhausted and have spent the last 22mths sleeping in separate bedrooms most of the time.
They are such protective, loving parents that they can't see a way clear to weaning my GD and getting her into her own bed/room.
They have talked to me, individually and together, and on top of everything else, I'm worried they're drifting apart. That their relationship is floundering as they try to be the best parents they can.
I have gently suggested that a good bedtime routine, bath, story cuddles etc might help. Reassured them that it is ok to say no to breast feeding all night. I babysit at least once a week to give them some couple time. They know I will do anything to help.
I think that they are so tired they can't think straight. Does anyone have any resources I can direct them too the next time they ask for ideas?

oodles Fri 01-Feb-19 21:44:21

Jalima, why didn't she leave a bottle or sippy cup, well, I don't know, the child is now in her late 30s and probably can't remember and my friend is dead so I can't ask her. But I'd imagine it was so it didn't leak out and wet the bed, and TBH if I wake up in the night I need the light on so I can find things, maybe the little girl just couldn't find a bottle in the dark. All I was saying is that it's not true that if you just give water you stop the child waking up and it's not always hunger why children wake.
I think that you can't equate breastfeeding for comfort and comfort eating, it is very different, breastfeeding is a relationship, not just food, it's not a substitute for a good relationship which often comfort eating is. Babes who wean naturally don't often need dummies or suck their thumb, some children I've known have sucked their thumb for years, and a friend's daughter was still taking dummies to bed when she was 11+. Lots of them so she could always find one. Dummies are just breast substitutes after all.
Why is it strange that children like to sleep with their parents, many adults prefer sleeping with a partner to solo sleeping. As I said it doesn't need to be all or nothing, there are lots of ways parents manage night times

ClareAB Fri 01-Feb-19 21:47:05

Thank you everyone.
Buffybee, your point about what they actually want is thought provoking. Maybe they just need a moan at the moment, and I'm doing the classic 'lets fix it' rather than simply allowing them to vent.
The venting is one thing, their actions are practically the opposite. I honestly don't know.
I think the best way forward is to keep listening, and if asked, offer some straightforward thoughts, ideas.
Becoming a Grandma is a steep learning curve smile

Buffybee Fri 01-Feb-19 22:05:43

Maybe, just agree with them that is is very hard but that it won't last for ever!

Kisathecat Fri 01-Feb-19 22:25:30

Jalima1108 ebf usually means more than 2 years. For me, it wasn’t as exhausting as the other way seemed to be and what you call being a slave is what I call being a mum I just have a different attitude to it and didn’t mind at all. But I know for some mums it’s a big intrusion and they do mind so they do it their way and that is fine also.

mumofmadboys Fri 01-Feb-19 22:45:36

I breast fed all 5 of our kids. The youngest breast fed till his 3rd birthday. One gave up himself at 14 months and the other 3 were all about 2 ish. We played musical beds for ages. Our bed would fill up over the night with kids and when it was too full we would go and sleep in one of their beds. We would sleep in several beds in the course of the night. Mad days but happy contented kids .

Buffybee Fri 01-Feb-19 22:56:23

What a brilliant Mum you are mumofmadboys, I hope that your post reassures the OP.

Buffybee Fri 01-Feb-19 22:57:38

Sorry! And you too Kisathecat!

Jalima1108 Fri 01-Feb-19 23:01:19

maybe the little girl just couldn't find a bottle in the dark.
Some of mine wanted a nightlight, one did not; just a dim light.
We used to leave a landing light on anyway because sometimes they'd want to go to the loo in the night (and one always woke me to tell me that he'd 'been'!).

Buffybee Fri 01-Feb-19 23:23:41

The one waking you up to tell you that he'd 'been' made me smile Jalima.

Jalima1108 Fri 01-Feb-19 23:27:43

I used to just murmur 'lovely, well done, night night'! I can smile about it now!