Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Largish family reunion, any ideas?

(31 Posts)
B9exchange Wed 08-May-19 14:45:19

I have booked a converted barn for a birthday family reunion. There will be 16 of us, nine adults, 7 children in ages from 13 to two months.

I am sure some of you have done this, and I am getting a bit spooked wondering about catering and entertainment, would welcome some ideas on trying to ensure it goes well?

moggie57 Thu 09-May-19 13:34:26

how about a bouncy castle for the little ones and a soft play area for the babies. everyone bring something. but plenty of finger foods...fresh veg and fruit and dips.

Hm999 Thu 09-May-19 13:56:11

I love the communal jigsaw, every time you go past you add a piece.
With so many adults, silly old-time party games and team games. Sleeping tigers, Musical chairs, Pass the parcel etc, and races of passing the matchbox on your nose. And then hope the little ones can join in.
Wonderful idea, have a brilliant time.

B9exchange Sat 11-May-19 13:51:13

Thanks Hm, time to get silly I feel! grin

The spreadsheets are coming out, although I have been soundly told that I am not to organise table setting and clearing away "we are all adults now, we don't need table duties"! Obviously they are all still harbouring a grudge from their childhood, when they had a rota to help out!

luluaugust Sat 11-May-19 14:14:50

We did this for a long weekend, 16 of us. We arranged to eat out at a local pub one evening, our son aided by the other AC cooked one evening and fish and chips were also bought. A well known supermarket delivered everything we needed. We had a very large garden and a lot of rounders was played along with exploring and a visit to a local beach. I don't think you need to over organise what you do we found the AC were very pleased to catch up with one another and a lot of reminiscing was done. Don't forget the bubbly.

breeze Sat 11-May-19 14:41:13

luluaugust where was my invite grin your weekend sounded fabulous.

I like the relaxed feel for these things. I think you can over organise, end up stressed and turn it into a military operation.

These occasions do need a little planning and your one sounded perfect.