Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Advice please.

(27 Posts)
talkingdead Wed 05-Jun-19 20:08:46

Sorry if I ramble I’m new at this.

I have two daughters. DD1 is pregnant and has one DS who is 3. DD2 has two
DC I feel our bond with her DC is stronger and believe it is because of my DD1 controlling behaviour when it comes to our grandson.
I offered to have our grandson overnight when she goes into labour. She agreed. I asked her if GS (grandson) would sleep through the night, which she replied “if you put him in his bed he’ll usually sleep through”
I had assumed the overnight stay would take place in my home. So I said he could stay at my place and sleep in my bed. It would be difficult as I have a medical condition to haul all of my overnight things to her house. This arrangement has always been fine for My other grandchildren who have sleepovers all the time.
DD1 was not happy with my suggestion and said she didn’t find it appropriate for him to sleep in my bed and if I didn’t want to look after him at her house she could ask someone else.
A few days later I heard from another family member that DD1 had made other childcare arrangements for her labour. She hasn’t told me this herself yet. But I am upset, as I feel I am not trusted by her. She has never allowed my DH and I to take our GS on day trips or even to the shop alone, we have offered plenty in the past. I just feel sad that we won’t have the same relationship with GS as we do our other grandchildren. I am worried that if she doesn’t let go a little he will get older and think we favour our other GC as we are allowed to do all these fun things with them but not him.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice.

Thanks.

talkingdead Sun 09-Jun-19 19:43:56

We have our own car seats for the kids, I’ve spoken with her since my OP and she said her concern is mostly age related when it comes to allowing us to take her son on day trips.
I think because my youngest daughters children have been left with us from very young ages that I’m comparing too much and haven’t realised until this post (thanks to your replies) that everyone’s parenting style is different, and my own children are very different people.