Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Ungrateful daughter

(81 Posts)
goodgran Mon 22-Jul-19 10:34:08

goodgran

Hi all
Been along time since I posted but I'm at my wits end my adult daughter is nearly 34 and she's not improving. She has 3 children . Her husband left 3 years ago and I don't blame him! She's brought trouble to our door since she was 15. Today I have the kids. She blew up at me so I told her to be grateful and respectful. Well..she started swearing, acting like she's the one doing me a favour having the kids whilst she works
My hubby had a heart attack last year and I suffer with Rheumatoid Arthritis but she still takes us for granted. We've just given her £11000 as she was in debt bit still no gratitude. We run her car and pay for her phone. I do it for the grandkids but my resolve is slipping. I feel like walking away but I can't?

autumnsun Wed 31-Jul-19 13:03:59

Hetty58 good advice

autumnsun Wed 31-Jul-19 17:07:22

Ready meals also good advice

autumnsun Wed 31-Jul-19 17:28:19

Madgran77

Well if the op has gone it just shows how, stressed she was but also wasn't going to listen to people telling her she thinks more of one child than another!! Good god woman that is the ultimate insult you can give to any mother! She knows she's giving more to the one in most need but is the one who is the most ungrateful so how anyone come to that conclusion I really don't know that's just a double whammy for that poor lady & unforgivable & Yes that is my view as you sarcastically put it which I'm allowed to have thank you same as you are

Madgran77 Wed 31-Jul-19 17:53:25

Autumnsun I wasn't being sarcastic and did not mean to upset you. I avoid sarcasm and try to post honestly and fairly. Ofcourse you are entitled to your view as we all are. I just thought that CrazyH was trying to encourage the OP to not get upset at individual posts which she may not agree with or feel relevant, when generally posters are trying to help. She hasn't come back which I agree is a shame. I hope she finds the support she needs. flowers

M0nica Wed 31-Jul-19 21:54:25

I have every sympathy for the OP and how awful her situation is and how worried she is.

BUT

I despair of these grandparents who give their children everything they want then get upset when having brought up their children to see their parents and their purses as the answer to their every problem, then get upset when that is just what the children do.

Your DD has never stood on her own two feet because you have not let her. Why do you pay her debts, Why do you pay for her car and phone. Do you really do that for your grand children. If you think about it, the best thing for your grandchildren would have been for you to have pulled the rug from under your daughter's feet years ago and told her to wise up and do what every one else does and provide for her own family.

You have left it very late and it is going to be very difficult to do it now. Your daughter will play every tune in the repertoire of those who indulge in emotional blackmail, to make you keep coughing up the readies regardless of the cost to you. But you must tell her that the Bank of Mum and Dad has gone bankrupt and there will be no more money forthcoming for phone, car, debts, or, I regret to say, clothes, school equipment or anything else the children need. After a year or two you could safely start buying the children things, and there will always be Christmas and birthdays. But for your daughter the best love you can give her is tough love.

You feel like walking away, that is the first sensible reaction you have had on this issue. You must do just that.

Keep coming to us for support, we will be there.