Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Feeling tugged in all directions

(155 Posts)
jellybeanjean Wed 14-Aug-19 16:45:23

My daughter has just given birth to twins after a very stressful pregnancy (IVF). All is now well although the first few days were tricky. I'm paying a flying visit tomorrow (she's in London, I'm near Bournemouth) which will be wonderful.
She has asked for help after her husband goes back to work in a couple of weeks. I would love to be there for her, but my problem is my husband is physically disabled and I'm his carer. He can just about manage if I'm away overnight (I leave him his breakfast, meals, a flask of coffee, instructions for microwave etc) but he is simply not safe physically to be on his own for more than that. He's 81. I'm desperate to be with my daughter and help with her lovely babies but how can I leave him? I have suggested he goes into a care home for two weeks but that didn't go down very well! I just don't know what to do.

vivonce Fri 16-Aug-19 18:46:30

Have you contacted your local branch of AgeUK? I know of families who have been helped by volunteers (well-vetted) from AgeUK.

willa45 Fri 16-Aug-19 19:47:38

Sixteen years ago we flew cross country to be with my daughter who had just given birth to twins (by C-section).

Based on my own experience, what she needed most was to be able to take care of her babies without having to worry that her house would fall apart or not having regular meals or that the babies would run out of clean blankets and 'Onesies'. So, in my view, that's the kind of support a new mum needs....she doesn't need another person to take over the care of her babies.

On another note: The more I read, the more I feel you both can go, depending of course, on your DH's level of incapacity.

Most major airlines provide complementary wheel chair service to and from the aircraft, allow priority boarding for the disabled and overall go above and beyond to accommodate a passenger's needs so they can travel more comfortably and with less stress.

Your DD and SIL should consider getting a housekeeper anyway, regardless of your presence.

You don't deserve to be put in such an impossible position....having to leave your disabled H behind, in exchange for what amounts to taking care of your daughter's household. Both you and your H deserve to spend quality time as new grandparents and both of you deserve to enjoy those new babies
Just saying....

Sam1965 Sun 18-Aug-19 07:44:08

I would want to be with my daughter and as someone who had twins... it’s nothing like one baby!!!!
You deserve respite (and a life too!)
So I would be asking for help with hubby either in a home or help coming to your home or looking at an air bnb near your daughter that can accommodate your husband

Ooeyisit Wed 28-Aug-19 20:17:25

This new mum will need help . I speak from experience it’s non stop . If the daughter had asked someone else it would have been hurtful .If it was my daughter I would make it my priority. I think your husband will manage better than he does when you are around . What if you had to go into hospital .Just get some ready meals in show him how to use the microwave and pack your bags and enjoy this soecial gift