Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Feel it is so sad

(84 Posts)
Lizbethann55 Thu 27-Feb-20 22:37:12

Two recent situations seem so sad to me. I work in a thriving branch library. One day last week a grandad came in with his granddaughter, probably about 6 years old. He sat and read a newspaper while she sat and looked at books. Not one word was said until after about twenty minutes they left, still with never a word. This afternoon my DH was on a train. It had stopped raining and the sun had come out. The train journey is a really pretty and interesting one. A granny got on with a little boy (4 or 5 years old). He sat and listened/watched very loud nursery rhymes on a phone the whole journey. Not a word was spoken. I just feel these were two lost opportunities to communicate, to build relationships and memories. To pass on information and knowledge. To share special moments. To share stories. To point out trees, animals, anything of interest. Our DGC grow so quickly. Blink and those precious years have gone. We are no longer special magical beings and just have to settle for courtesy visits. Their little hands will no longer clutch ours and they won't hang on every word we say. Why ignore these oh so precious times. Or am I just being a silly sentimental old fool?

ElaineI Fri 28-Feb-20 22:37:18

Had enjoyable hour at Book Bug in library with 22 month old DGS2 followed by helping him choose his new books, scan them - he can do it himself, then chase him round and round the bookshelves - everyone was laughing! Then Papa had to read them to him and DGD "gain" "gain" "gain"!
Libraries in Lothian seem to be well used as go to a different one with DGD and lots going on.
I do see some young people not interacting with their children and on their phone but if it is controlled technology can open up lots of opportunities for people. My mother is fiercly against it and indignant that she feels "not part of this world " but relatives older than her have gained a huge amount from use of messaging, internet, Skype, FaceTime which she has missed out on by dismissing it and moaning about it constantly.

Txquiltz Sat 29-Feb-20 03:55:00

I have a plan in place if GS's come over. The first 20 minutes they can use their screens. The next 20 minutes they teach me how to do something on their screens....it can be fun. After that, the screens are put away for the rest of the visit. This is usually met with some complaints, but they don't resist too much. I usually find a brief moment to tell them about life when I was a kid. More rolled eyes, but giggles too. Try meeting them in the middle.

Joesoap Sat 29-Feb-20 11:29:32

I agree its gone too far. I visited a neighbour recently she showed me a video of her Grandchild who will soon be two years old, this child had her Mums mobile and was pressing keys pretending to talk making odd noises completely ridiculous how such young children catch on to this habit of being on the phone all the time for this child it is quite normal to see Mummy on the phone and children learn quickly. Its such a shame.

Helenlouise3 Sat 29-Feb-20 12:33:12

Working in a school we see the effects of this on a daily basis. Technology is a wonderful think and used properly, it can only enhance a child's experiences. However it is often used as a substitute for a parent/guardian's time. We have children starting school who cannot peak, older children wanting to be "You tubers"/"Gamers" when they're adults. Given free time, thy're bored immediately as they cannot amuse themselves. Language work suffers, as their imagination isn't as it should be. Unfortunately these things are happening more and more.

SueDonim Sat 29-Feb-20 14:29:35

esspee I had a similar experience with one of my GS’s when he was about two. He got hold of a phone and he almost immediately turned into a zombie! He was impervious to my voice, showing no signs of having heard me, he was barely blinking as he stared at the screen and his body became absolutely rigid and still.

I found it quite terrifying and took the phone off him straightaway. He then reverted to his normal active self. Luckily, he doesn’t have much access to screens although he does ask occasionally to look at photos. That seems harmless but I’ve observed that even then, he doesn’t actually look at the photos, he’s just swiping constantly to the next one.

I’d also issue a warning to anyone with a pass code on their phone or iPad. The same GS made so many attempts to access his dad’s unguarded IPad that it locked itself down for three months! My son wasn’t best pleased about that and has been more careful about storing his tech since then! grin

Greymar Sat 29-Feb-20 21:13:11

Why do you think the people who invented this stuff ban their kids from using it. Nannies and home must be tech free.

GeorgyGirl Tue 03-Mar-20 16:26:52

Lizbethann, I totally agree with everything you say, it really is a sad sign of the times.

V3ra Tue 03-Mar-20 18:04:43

Helenlouise3 I had an eight year old boy at my house during a teacher training day recently. No technology for the children here!
After an hour he was bored and wished he was at home so he could play on his Xbox.
I stuck it out, showed him the different toys and games I had available, and in the end he said he didn't know what to play with next as I had so much stuff. He surprised himself!